Bangkok increases in popularity amongst expats

webfact

I have lived in BKK before.I like the city.Before that i lived in a small village in Surin..never ever again.8 pm everybody in the village went sleeping.Now im back in my country.Will go back to thailand in march.Then 2-3 days in BKK with my gf before we go to korat and stay there rest of the time.

I enjoy staying with my Thai relatives in Bangkok to get over my jet lag, then I head out of the

polluted city to somewhere much less polluted like Hua Hin, and Jomtien Beach south  Pattaya.

Cleaner air is much better for my aging body.

11 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

You are right.

Expat families enjoy more the pollution, the dirt, the traffic jams and the noise, I guess.

For much of the year the air in Bangkok is far cleaner than that in Chiang Rai where I live now. Before I was married, I lived in Bangkok. I'd go back if I could and our company HQ is there, but the missus ain't keen. . .

About these surveys, they're just meaningless h0r£e£#it link bait and ThaiVisa bit.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

13 hours ago, edwarda909 said:

Take away the beautiful women selling sex  cheaply and lax (no) government policy stopping it, and BKK wouldn't make the top 100. Don't have to be a genius to figure that out

Not sure what you are saying. Are you puritanical about sex and no government policy to stamp it out ? Do you want government to control your choices in life with a 'policy' ?? Irrespective mate - BKK suits many, but obviously not you huh ? And does it matter where BKK sits on the world index of livable cities (compiled by a load of stuffed shirts sitting in an office). If you like it and it suits you, that's all that matters. 'Stuff the stuffed shirts most likely sitting in an office in Brussels'

• Sad 1

You live in the Thai boonies, the nearest 7 is a ten minute walk. You live in Bangkok, the nearest 7 is a five minute walk. You live in Hong Kong, KL, SG et al, the nearest 7 is a push of the elevator button.

What's left really? The price of hookers and the price of beer. In Hong Kong et al you have the choice of Thai, Filipina, Vietnamese, Russian and Indonesian 'good company'. In Bangkok it's Thai, Thai, Thai or Cambodian good company (Japanese if you're not riff raff).

The air quality is cr@p everwhere.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Bangkocker said:

And does it matter where BKK sits on the world index of livable cities (compiled by a load of stuffed shirts sitting in an office).

I think it panders to the notion you can still command a hardship allowance to live in Thailand. If you expatriate for some clueless HR office and force your employer to stump up for a couple of shipping containers, more power to you. If you're in a position to leverage international school fees for your kids, more power to you. . . But I find it hard to imagine anyone gives a s#it about these surveys other than your diplomatic representation.

Keep paying your taxes losers.

Do the Thais themselves give a s**t about this ? and if they do they should be making it easier for expats to live in Bangkok or anywhere else in LOS. if they did a survey on what countries make it really difficult for expats i suspect i know who would be number 1 (it begins with T)

10 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

Bangkok has always been popular among foreigners. 

Affordable hookers, fake passports, shaft hardening medication without prescription, songthaews, that will take you to the other end of the city for 10 bucks........

What's there not to like?

Fake passports????

On 12/2/2021 at 2:11 PM, tonysilly said:

BBangkok is not cheap anymore so stop lying. Again!!! Yes if you live out side of Soi 70 Maybe.  Not Cheap at all..

I have a luxury condo in the middle of the city for 10,000thb. Next door I have local restaurants and street food to eat for 30-50thb. My water bill comes out to less than 100thb a month.

BKK is still very well priced overall, but you need to adapt a bit to fully take advantage. I've cut back big time on wine while im here as wine prices are outrageous as an example.

Edited by Metapod
  • Like 2

On 12/2/2021 at 2:11 PM, tonysilly said:

BBangkok is not cheap anymore so stop lying. Again!!! Yes if you live out side of Soi 70 Maybe.  Not Cheap at all..

I have a luxury condo in the middle of BKK for 15k a month (about $20 AU per night). The condo has a pool, a/c gym, sauna, 24/7 security and undercover parking. The condo is located next door to the fantastic Terminal 21 shopping mall, skytrain AND underground train stations. T21 has a good food-hall with meals costing about 50 baht ($2). Freshly cut fruit from the street stalls cost 15 baht (.60c) Foot massages cost 100 baht ($4) and it’s a quick and easy drive to coastal resorts at Hua Hin and Pattaya etc where nightly accommodation by the sea starts at around 400baht ($16).

Cheap as chips. 

Furthermore, no rent in advance, no security deposit nor contract was required for the condo. 

Life is good and very affordable in BKK. The favourable survey result is justified. 

Edited by Nemises
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

It would be interesting to see the list of the 10 that are better than BKK. I have often seen CM listed as the best. I don't know if it still is. Its variety of International rstaurants, with a variety of more sports and activities than BKK. Plus it is surrounded by numerous National Parks that BKK does not have. There can't be many places in BKK where you can buy a Home with a garden like in CM. Therefore whatever BKK has CM matches it with a lot more. Yes both BKK & CM do suffer bad pollution, so equal in that respect.

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have a friend who owns one of the ridiculously overpriced homes. Although he is wealthy, he is constantly moaning about how overpriced nearly everything is. 

You always have a friend who advises you.

so obviously no !

Edited by moose7117
spelling

On 12/2/2021 at 10:38 PM, MrJ2U said:

Bangkok is an exciting city.

Lots to do!

Restaurants, beautiful women, shopping.

If you have a nice condo to live and lots of dosh life can be pretty sweet.

Careful the chemicals sprayed on the vege's

They are ok but dont look at their feet

plenty of fake goods to buy

the women don't have a chance against russian/ukraine, and ask yourself is it a real woman.

• Sad 1

On 12/2/2021 at 10:24 PM, rumeaug said:

Born in France, but grew up in Mexico and then Spain, Sevilla and Madrid (Dad was an expat). Madrid and Malaga deserve their place (or pretty much any city in Spain actually). 24h fun if you want it, sun, great food, great people for the most part, unbelievable historical & cultural places. 

Malaga is great, madrid, barcelona also nice but i think portugal wins.

16 minutes ago, Polaky said:

Careful the chemicals sprayed on the vege's

For sure!

Funny enough.

Yesterday I located an organic hydroponic farm not far from my house in Issan.

I finally had a descent salad!  

8C321A6D-D7EA-4CB6-8F8E-7CD91618F4A3.jpg

C8A6D067-35D8-4C00-A510-573C1AB82429-1.jpg

PXL_20211203_165802033.jpg

• Like 1

It is very obvious that the survey never looked at the ease of obtaining visa and maintaining them, my biggest peeve is when i have to walk into an imm office and front those uneducated ning nongs, thailand has a population bordering on 80 mil, and they cannot find one educated fluent english speaking intellect that could greet you with "and how can i help you today sir", instead we get a blank stare, more of a glare really, and then a wave of the arms, how wonderful, the only time i see a glimmer of a smile is when your handing over dollars.

• Sad 1

On 12/3/2021 at 7:07 AM, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

You live in the Thai boonies, the nearest 7 is a ten minute walk. You live in Bangkok, the nearest 7 is a five minute walk. You live in Hong Kong, KL, SG et al, the nearest 7 is a push of the elevator button.

What's left really? The price of hookers and the price of beer. In Hong Kong et al you have the choice of Thai, Filipina, Vietnamese, Russian and Indonesian 'good company'. In Bangkok it's Thai, Thai, Thai or Cambodian good company (Japanese if you're not riff raff).

The air quality is cr@p everwhere.

And in Hong Kong you are paying 2X or 3X the price for companionship. A massage will cost you way more than in Thailand. And facing arbitrary detention and constant surveillance  by the CCP. And in Thailand you have the choice of Thai, Cambodian, Lao, Vietnamese, Russian, Middle Eastern at an affordable price.. Have you been sleeping or something?? Go to China (and Kong Kong which is snuggled up real close by) and really experience what <deleted> air quality is really like. Live in SG and you will pay Western prices (and more) for everything and live in a police state. Now please go back to sleep.

9 hours ago, Polaky said:

It is very obvious that the survey never looked at the ease of obtaining visa and maintaining them, my biggest peeve is when i have to walk into an imm office and front those uneducated ning nongs, thailand has a population bordering on 80 mil, and they cannot find one educated fluent english speaking intellect that could greet you with "and how can i help you today sir", instead we get a blank stare, more of a glare really, and then a wave of the arms, how wonderful, the only time i see a glimmer of a smile is when your handing over dollars.

So why are you choosing to live/go Thailand - if you regard Immigration as 'uneducated ning nongs'?? Makes you looks kind of silly. You are in their country so you should be attempting to speak Thai. Right?? They most likely regard you, yes you, as the uneducated ning nong farang.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 5:02 PM, Polaky said:

Malaga is great, madrid, barcelona also nice but i think portugal wins.

Yes! surprising that Portugal is not on the list. Fantastic place. I have a few Spanish childhood friends who live there now, in Cascais.

• 2 months later...
On 12/3/2021 at 2:49 AM, Bangkocker said:

Not sure what you are saying. Are you puritanical about sex and no government policy to stamp it out ? Do you want government to control your choices in life with a 'policy' ?? Irrespective mate - BKK suits many, but obviously not you huh ? And does it matter where BKK sits on the world index of livable cities (compiled by a load of stuffed shirts sitting in an office). If you like it and it suits you, that's all that matters. 'Stuff the stuffed shirts most likely sitting in an office in Brussels'

Not at all puritanical. What I was trying to say, is that many of the things that make cities tourist draws- NYC, Paris, Rome, etc have more to do with other attractions 

On 2/9/2022 at 1:01 PM, edwarda909 said:

Not at all puritanical. What I was trying to say, is that many of the things that make cities tourist draws- NYC, Paris, Rome, etc have more to do with other attractions 

Been to both Rome and Paris. Paris: Eiffel tower and couple of cathedrals, Louvre, (dangerous place at night near the can can shows - many hotheads) - plate of chips $20. Rome: - a few statues, Vatican, expensive pizza, expensive everything, plenty of deadbeats and homeless near Termini railway station, hothead Africans trying to flog imitation handbags etc. Quite funny witnessing these aggressive  Africans talking in perfect Italians. Once you've been there - meh !! But many return to Thailand for obvious reasons (over and over).