Drain water from brain?

Spaniel

Is anyone familiar with this procedure?  It is a out patient procedure and I am trying to get any info particularly from any who have experienced it.  Unless someone can convience me other wise I would probably have this done at Bangkok Hospital (Bangkok).

Why is this being done, for what diagnosis?

Is it really just drainage (which would tend to re-accumulate) or is it placement of a shunt, or an endoscopic third ventriculostomy (ETV)? These are not usually outpatient procedures though

Or is it perhaps just a lumbar puncture or lumbar drainage test? (These are diagnostic tests to determine if a shunit is indicated/would impriove your symptoms)

One would usually have these done at the hospital/by the doctor who had diagnosed the underlying condition and recommended the procedure.

Please give more information so I can better advise.

On

• Like 1

Sheryl,

Thank you for the reply.   My problem is double vision.  I am told they want to do a spinal tap to remove some water to see if this will improve my balance which is affected by my double vision.

Ok then, just a lumbar puncture (spinal tap)

Simple outpatient procedure. You will usually be asked to lie on your side with your knees drawn upand your head forward to arch your back. They will swab around your lower back with betadine then  numb the area with lidocaine, those injections will sting slightly.  A  needle is inserted a short way into the spinal canal (passing between vertebra which is why having your back curved helps - it spreads the veertebra apart), you will feel some pressure as the needle is passed.  The fluid comes out by gravity. A sample of the fluid can be sent to the lab for testing. They will also be able to measure the pressure of the fluid. If your double vision was due to increased cerebral pressure, removing fluid in this way may relieve symptoms.

Makes no difference what hospital it is done at. The important thing is that it be done by a neurologist who is familiar with your condition and has advised this be done.

The main thing you need to know is that it is essential you remain completely still during the procedure; once yo uare in position and the numbing injectiosn given don't move at all until it is done.

Sometimes light  sedation is used  if the patient is very anxious.