Info regarding withdrawing my Super at maturity, tax payable?

Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar position over the last few years and withdrew their super while living here. I have been living here 7 years and last year at 57 I became eligible to withdraw up to $200k of my super should I wish per m birth year. I think I can withdraw all at 60yo providing I don't plan to work in Australia again. One thing that has constantly gnawed at me is because I have been out of the country for over 2 years and own no property in Australia, I am a non resident for tax purposes person, which means I pay full whack tax on interest, income, investments in Australia.

I have been assured by the super company that there will be no tax payable on my super when I withdraw it but they took a lot of prodding and didn't seem to be very confident of their reply and kept referring me to my accountant who was in turn referring me back to them. My Super is bog standard employer contributions by the way. No salary sacrifice or anything unusual.

Apart from fees etc has anyone in my position withdrawn their super recently? Was there any taxes etc or your payout was pretty much what was in the fund less some sort of processing fees I imagine? Time comes to withdraw can it be done from Thailand? Hoping I wont need a trip back to Australia to get it transferred. Any advice or help appreciated.  

42 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Phone your Oz tax office.

Sounds easy don't it? Why didn't I think of that ???? Apart from the 2 hour wait on what would probably be a long distance call, they wont tell you anything. I have tried twice. Superannuation is made up of many different components, and it's quite complicated...In my case I believe there is no taxable component or extras but you don't know 100% until you finalize it all basically. The Super fund people wont give you a guestimate or go to the trouble of calculating it all out unless you are actually finalizing it. They don't design it to be easy to get your money. I was hoping someone will come along has done it recently, in my situation and get their experience.

• Like 1