Where to buy Landrace pork ready to make bacon?

tomster

Hi,

I am going to start a company that makes very high quality bacon, I already have an established market for the product.

From what I have read the Landrace breed is available in Thailand and recommended for high quality bacon production.

Two questions for the honorable members:

1. In Thailand is it possible to buy the Landrace breed that has been raised without antibiotics or growth hormones?

2. Where to buy the Landrace breed. I am currently based in Chiang Mai but for the right pork we can obviously pay delivery charges and I am thinking about moving to Isaan soon anyway, so location anywhere in Central or the Northern parts of Thailand is fine.

Thanks in advance. ????

It has been a few years since I worked with pigs ,other members are more knowable ,as for breed ,getting 100% Landrace will not be easy ,most pigs here are cross-breds ,Landrace ,Large White,and Duroc, 

As for feed, have a word with the big feed company ,CP, Beta grow,they are the ones that make the feed. nearly all the farmers buy their feed from them .

As for feed additives ,all feed is made to cost ,not certain if any are used in Thailand .

Have a look at Thai face book may be someone on they that can help you,someone who makes they own feed , and have the breed you need, you almost need organic pigs .

I have a friend who feeds his pigs on milk whey and brewers grains and a bit of pig food ,pigs look well  ,but they are a mixed breed .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

It has been a few years since I worked with pigs ,other members are more knowable ,as for breed ,getting 100% Landrace will not be easy ,most pigs here are cross-breds ,Landrace ,Large White,and Duroc, 

As for feed, have a word with the big feed company ,CP, Beta grow,they are the ones that make the feed. nearly all the farmers buy their feed from them .

As for feed additives ,all feed is made to cost ,not certain if any are used in Thailand .

Have a look at Thai face book may be someone on they that can help you,someone who makes they own feed , and have the breed you need, you almost need organic pigs .

I have a friend who feeds his pigs on milk whey and brewers grains and a bit of pig food ,pigs look well  ,but they are a mixed breed .

Hi Kickstart,

Thanks for the reply.

I think a mixed breed pig would be fine to start with as long as the breed that was mixed in with Landrace was also capable of making decent bacon.

And yeah organic pigs would be perfect, but I guess not economically viable for this project....

Cheers.

Besides Betagro and CP there are a few smaller pork meat producers that claim organic or at least natural production.

One brand is selling it's meat at Tops and existing since a few years, another new brand I've seen at my local Big C.

Sorry about not remembering the name because I don't buy pork meat but with the help of google you should be able to find out.

• Like 1