PM urges public not to panic over first case of Omicron variant in Thailand

snoop1130

10 minutes ago, James105 said:

I think there are about 300ish cases of this variant in the UK now and not a single one of them is in hospital.  My only concern is that one of those 300 might get run over by a bus within the 28 days of testing positive as this will then turn this variant into  a deadly one, such is the way covid deaths are recorded in the UK.   

How old and what was is the vaccination status of those 300 cases, its relevant right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

since the media/government has convinced the Thais that getting covid is akin to a death sentence, telling them not to panic over the latest variant is falling on deaf ears.

My friend is a dentist in siam square and he told me today that 98% of the appointments this week have been cancelled by the patients.

34 minutes ago, James105 said:

I think there are about 300ish cases of this variant in the UK now and not a single one of them is in hospital.  My only concern is that one of those 300 might get run over by a bus within the 28 days of testing positive as this will then turn this variant into  a deadly one, such is the way covid deaths are recorded in the UK.   

Most were probably vaccinated, and recently infected.  You are aware deaths lag initial infections by at least a few weeks?

1 hour ago, James105 said:

Of course you know that medical examiners list the primary cause of death on the death certificate in the UK, so please stop posting misinformation. 

• Like 1

If those experts that are talking now are right, then Omicron might be the relief of Covid-19 when being the major variant with less symptoms and almost no severe illness, replacing the dangerous disease to something more like a common cold. There might be hope this will end the messy World that Covid-19 made...????

Unfortunately for those that invested in Covid-19-vaccine stocks, they fell rapidly in value yesterday...????

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, khunPer said:

If those experts that are talking now are right, then Omicron might be the relief of Covid-19 when being the major variant with less symptoms and almost no severe illness, replacing the dangerous disease to something more like a common cold. There might be hope this will end the messy World that Covid-19 made...????

Unfortunately for those that invested in Covid-19-vaccine stocks, they fell rapidly in value yesterday...????

Ummm....Delta is ravaging Europe and the US.  Doubt very seriously covid vaccine stocks are falling.  If anything, going up.

omicron will come to Thailand there is so stopping it

how that plays out in Thailand and across the world is unclear but early data suggests that although it spreads fast it could be milder which is a very good sign............................we wait

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

James105: I think there are about 300ish cases of this variant in the UK now and not a single one of them is in hospital.  My only concern is that one of those 300 might get run over by a bus within the 28 days of testing positive as this will then turn this variant into  a deadly one, such is the way covid deaths are recorded in the UK.

Medical examiners may list the primary cause of demise on a death certificate. But... what's that got to do with the price of fish?

As per James105's post, the UK news adds all COVID19 deaths to the rolling total within 28 days of a positive test. So I would argue that the misinformation is with death count itself. And if one of those people with the new variant gets killed by a bus... and it was within 28 days of a positive COVID-19 test... then yes, they would be included in the COVID death count. 

See, the UK counts both WITH and FROM cases, but I'm yet to find anyone who can explain why. It would be fascinating to know how many people have died FROM Covid19, and ONLY from.

Heck, my mate died with an ingrown toenail, but it didn't kill him. The world has gone bonkers, MAD, I say! 

Medical examiners are very precise in determining the cause of death. For those declared victims of Covid19, I will take the medical examiner's opinion over yours. 

1 hour ago, smedly said:

omicron will come to Thailand there is so stopping it

how that plays out in Thailand and across the world is unclear but early data suggests that although it spreads fast it could be milder which is a very good sign............................we wait

I hope you are right, but there are many people, probably all over the world who are getting very rich from this pandemic, and supposing this new variant really is getting milder, there are many people in power who may not want to admit this for obvious reasons.

They way things stand now, how long does the average person who does not drink heavily or smoke, is not overweight, has no or very little medical issues, and catches this Cvirus take to recover?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alyx said:

It is in

One way or another it would have found a mean to get here

Another day on earth....

One downside though: the blame game erupting from this finding ("we told you to keep the borders closed")

It doesn't have to be brought in from outside a country. It is a mutation of the existing virus. So it can mutate whilst in an in country host then move on to the next victim in its new mutated form. It mutates to survive. 

Delta still has many months left in it, especially if they continue to do everything they can to suppress the new version.

If Omicron turns out to be more of a nuisance than anything I have a feeling we're still going to have countries operating on the Chinese policy of absolute suppression - and Thailand will be one of them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ukrules said:

I will refrain from panic for now but I will be reviewing the situation weekly ????

Good idea, but looks like Prayut has wisely made a good decision,

News looks good, little O , Omicron is a Xmas gift that may spell the e end of this pandemic, but watch the daily publications from SA as this will keep people up to date officially.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stubby said:

James105: I think there are about 300ish cases of this variant in the UK now and not a single one of them is in hospital.  My only concern is that one of those 300 might get run over by a bus within the 28 days of testing positive as this will then turn this variant into  a deadly one, such is the way covid deaths are recorded in the UK.

Medical examiners may list the primary cause of demise on a death certificate. But... what's that got to do with the price of fish?

As per James105's post, the UK news adds all COVID19 deaths to the rolling total within 28 days of a positive test. So I would argue that the misinformation is with death count itself. And if one of those people with the new variant gets killed by a bus... and it was within 28 days of a positive COVID-19 test... then yes, they would be included in the COVID death count. 

See, the UK counts both WITH and FROM cases, but I'm yet to find anyone who can explain why. It would be fascinating to know how many people have died FROM Covid19, and ONLY from.

Heck, my mate died with an ingrown toenail, but it didn't kill him. The world has gone bonkers, MAD, I say! 

Fear not! The UK has an excellent record with pedestrian killing buses - less than 50 in a year - and if they all had covid it would make an infinitesimally small difference to the stats.

20 hours ago, DjSilver said:

Nobody cares or is panic about omicron since it hasn't sent anyone to a hospital or killed anyone.  It is the mildest string with covid.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10251019/South-African-doctor-says-Omicron-symptoms-unusual-patients-NOT-lose-sense-smell.html

warns its early signs are 'MILD' and patients do NOT lose their sense of smell

Darn, so my Covid test kit will not work... a small bottle of Tiger Balm I keep on my coffee table, and take a sniff of?