UK Visitor Visa Submission

The VFS Global website states:  "Please note, you now have 240 calendar days from the date you completed your form on GOV.UK to have your biometrics taken at a Visa Application Centre. Please ensure that you book your appointment at a Visa Application Centre in the country you selected on your application, and attend within 240 calendar days."

Does this mean that I can complete and submit my wife's application for a UK Visitor Visa up to 240 days beforehand but for only request an appointment three months prior to visiting the UK?

I suppose I could ask the UK Immigration Service but I am very loath to give them the sum of £2.74p for the privilege of them giving me an answer by email.

Does anyone have any experience doing this?

Where exactly on the VFS website does it say this ?   I can't find it.  Can you provide a link ?

The UK GOV website still says this :

When to apply

The earliest you can apply is usually:

• 3 months before your planned travel date for visit visas
  • 3 months before your employment start date for most work visas
  • 6 months before your course start date for Student and Child Student visas

It’s currently taking longer to get a decision on Standard Visitor visas because of high demand.

3 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Thanks for that.  I wonder why.   It contradicts the UK GOV website.

I haven't looked at the VFS appointment booking page(s) for 240 days ahead, but they never used to show available slots for more than about one month ahead, if that long.

10 minutes ago, Tony M said:

Thanks for that.  I wonder why.   It contradicts the UK GOV website.

Difficult to contradict the word "usually".

I think during the pandemic the unofficial guidance has been to apply as early as possible.

The 3 months has never been set in stone. The last trip we planned, early last year, my wife needed 2 visas so we did the UK first and applied about 4 months beforehand without any problem.

2 hours ago, Tony M said:

Where exactly on the VFS website does it say this ?   I can't find it.  Can you provide a link ?

The UK GOV website still says this :

When to apply

The earliest you can apply is usually:

• 3 months before your planned travel date for visit visas
  • 3 months before your employment start date for most work visas
  • 6 months before your course start date for Student and Child Student visas

It’s currently taking longer to get a decision on Standard Visitor visas because of high demand.

The UKVI website for a Standard Visit Visa is more clear, though still contradicts the VFS advice

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor/apply-standard-visitor-visa

Apply for a Standard Visitor visa

If you need a Standard Visitor visa, you must apply online before you travel to the UK and attend an appointment at a visa application centre.

The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.

14 hours ago, theoldgit said:

The UKVI website for a Standard Visit Visa is more clear, though still contradicts the VFS advice

If you need a Standard Visitor visa, you must apply online before you travel to the UK and attend an appointment at a visa application centre.

I still think the UKVI information is the correct one.  I don't see any way that VFS will allow booking of appointments 6 or 7 months ahead.  Nor will UKVI accept documentation for processing that could be that old (circumstances can change considerably in that amount of time).   Let's see what happens when someone tries to submit an application 240 days ahead. I don't see how it could work.

3 hours ago, Tony M said:

I still think the UKVI information is the correct one.  I don't see any way that VFS will allow booking of appointments 6 or 7 months ahead.  Nor will UKVI accept documentation for processing that could be that old (circumstances can change considerably in that amount of time).   Let's see what happens when someone tries to submit an application 240 days ahead. I don't see how it could work.

Yes I agree Tony, would the online system even allow an applicant to apply that far in advance, I wonder if the online application system would freeze the application as soon as a date too far ahead was entered.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2021 at 3:51 PM, theoldgit said:

Thanks for the resource.