Royal Garden Cinema

vickersvc10

Have you heard the rumour that the cinemas in the Royal Garden Plaza will close shortly? Apparently the rents are being increased, and they reckon that the competition from the new cineplex soon to open in the almost-ready plaza on Second Road almost opposite the Lek Hotel will be too much for them.

I hope the rumour is true as I am often pissed off by the low standard of technical quality at the R.G. flea pits. Today, for example, I went to see "Shrek the Third" (which I found very disappointing) and there was a two minute period without any sound at all!

Have you heard the rumour that the cinemas in the Royal Garden Plaza will close shortly? Apparently the rents are being increased, and they reckon that the competition from the new cineplex soon to open in the almost-ready plaza on Second Road almost opposite the Lek Hotel will be too much for them.

I hope the rumour is true as I am often pissed off by the low standard of technical quality at the R.G. flea pits. Today, for example, I went to see "Shrek the Third" (which I found very disappointing) and there was a two minute period without any sound at all!

I haven't heard the rumors, but there's usually at least SOME truth to any rumor... one time at the Royal Garden "Cinema", about 3/4 of the way through that last James Bond movie, the projectors just broke... they weren't offering cash refunds, but rather they were offering a pass to come back to see another movie. This annoyed me, as I felt obligated to finish the James Bond movie... and I would end up using the pass for that, and not get any "compensation" for being so inconvenienced. Regardless, I accepted their stupid coupon... So I go back one day to use it, and they say "can't use on Friday... can only use Monday to Thursday"... Good grief... I thought their air conditioning was good there, but they sprayed the theaters with this floral air freshener, that made the theaters smell like a cross between a ladies rest room, and an aquarium with a broken filter. I still don't wish them ill, but new competition will be good. Another pet peeve of that Royal garden is that there was no website that listed what was showing... and they never turned on the message machine announcing what was playing, until about 11 AM each day.

I haven't heard the rumors, but there's usually at least SOME truth to any rumor... one time at the Royal Garden "Cinema", about 3/4 of the way through that last James Bond movie, the projectors just broke... they weren't offering cash refunds, but rather they were offering a pass to come back to see another movie. This annoyed me, as I felt obligated to finish the James Bond movie... and I would end up using the pass for that, and not get any "compensation" for being so inconvenienced. Regardless, I accepted their stupid coupon... So I go back one day to use it, and they say "can't use on Friday... can only use Monday to Thursday"... Good grief... I thought their air conditioning was good there, but they sprayed the theaters with this floral air freshener, that made the theaters smell like a cross between a ladies rest room, and an aquarium with a broken filter. I still don't wish them ill, but new competition will be good. Another pet peeve of that Royal garden is that there was no website that listed what was showing... and they never turned on the message machine announcing what was playing, until about 11 AM each day.

go to the theaters on the 3rd floor of the Big C shoping center on 2nd road near Soi 2 - comfortable new seats in most of the theaters - i think they have 8 - air conditioning is very cold - prices reasonable - 100 baht a ticket m-th and 120 for fri-sat and sun -never had a problem there and have probably seen 25+ movies there

My experience there has always been pleasant. You had an unlucky experience with a projector breakdown, but how often does that happen? I find the sound quality there very good.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the cheaper tickets compared to Big C cinemas. 80 baht compared to 120.

I hope that the rumour is not true.

The air conditioning in the Royal Garden movie complex is such that I can buy a six pack off the shelves in the local super market, take them into the movie house and by the time the movie has finished, the beer is icy cold. :o

I hope that the rumour is not true.

The air conditioning in the Royal Garden movie complex is such that I can buy a six pack off the shelves in the local super market, take them into the movie house and by the time the movie has finished, the beer is icy cold. :o

I used to think the Pattaya cinemas were cold until I went to one of the little cinemas in Prangin Mall in Penang last week. I just made it through a 90 minute movie barely escaping frost bite. If I'd watched the super boring 168 minute Pirates 3 saga in there, I would have definitely been done for.

Edited by tropo