Rented new apartment

Thank you Worgeordie , i just went down and spoke to the lady , Sorry John i forgot, give me details

of your passport again , i will do it now !!!! she was on the phone two minutes ago ,

i will ask again if all done ok tomorrow . Jackdd the point is to get information from this forum .

Dont get your nickers in a twist and calm down .

Kc71 that explains the panicky look she gave me , thanks you for your positive reply have a good day ..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, harry94 said:

Thank you Worgeordie , i just went down and spoke to the lady , Sorry John i forgot, give me details

of your passport again , i will do it now !!!! she was on the phone two minutes ago ,

i will ask again if all done ok tomorrow . Jackdd the point is to get information from this forum .

Kc71 that explains the panicky look she gave me , thanks you for your positive reply have a good day ..

Maybe a fine of 2,000 baht, in theory owner should pay but sometimes tenant gets lumbered. Meant to report withing 24 hours i think

From a landlord‘s point of view:

the TM30 is filed by the „house master“.  Not the owner of the property.  Once the tenant signs a lease and is handed the keys, the tenant is the „house master“.   How is a landlord supposed to know when a tenant comes and goes and who sleeps over?

I tell tenants to do it themselves. Oftentimes their agent will handle it. Never me.  Hotels and short term accommodation with checkin and checkout procedures. are a different story. 

there is little to no consequence to not filing TM/30 after the initial move in.  Some people say they are asked for the record before renewing their visa.  I have myself never been asked for my TM30 renewing work permit and visa for the past 15 years. 

For tenants who insist it’s supposed to be my job to file for them each time they come and go I have offered to install a camera in their apartment to monitor the activities. Else, how am I to know? 

again. House master is not the same as Landlord.  

Edited by teutonian
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, teutonian said:

the TM30 is filed by the „house master“.  Not the owner of the property.  Once the tenant signs a lease and is handed the keys, the tenant is the „house master“.   How is a landlord supposed to know when a tenant comes and goes and who sleeps over?

The TM30 form itself says house master, owner or possessor. The law also says this.

So yes, it's your obligation as well. A tenant doesn't become the house master just like that, the house master is stated in the house book, unless you add the tenant in the house book he isn't the house master. A tenant is the possessor though, and thus also has the obligation to file a TM30.

Of course it's difficult for you to monitor who stays at the place, so if I were to rent out a place, I would simply put a clause in the rental contract, stating that it's the tenant's resposibility to file the TM30 for any foreigners staying at the place.

you should have gone to Immigration within 24 hours of moving in.

You need to take a copy of your passport, visa, rental contract, owners ID and phone number, copy of owners blue book.

Immigration will issue you with a paper receipt that you have informed them of your change of address

the owner needs to contact them as well...........but that is not your problem

15 hours ago, harry94 said:

i will ask again if all done ok tomorrow

After she says "yes, all done, everything is ok", you'll need to ask for some documentation. The bottom portion of a paper TM.30, a screen grab from the web or app, or some other document from Imm.

Will you have any business with Imm in the future? Extension of stay (COVID, or other)?

The owner should probably register for the online service. https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

Maybe check with the juristic office?

tm30receipt.jpg

16 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Not being snide or clever but when me & the mrs moved into this place a couple of years back one of the first things I asked the landlady if she informed immigration, you should have done the same.

you asking here if she reported does not mean that she did      

OP do it yourself .. to be safe .. 

4 hours ago, teutonian said:

From a landlord‘s point of view:

I tell tenants to do it themselves. Oftentimes their agent will handle it. Never me.  Hotels and short term accommodation with checkin and checkout procedures. are a different story. 

Can you please explain how a tenant can register a form TM30?  The Koh Samui Immigration Office does require it for extensions of stay and the landlords sometimes don't do it.   Even the hotels sometimes fail to because they have trouble with the online system.

19 hours ago, harry94 said:

Don't worry about jackdd. He may not have been bright enough to figure out that you were seeking advice and as is so common these days... some people seem to feel like they can behave like a toxic (fill in the NSFW adjectives describing the character of people like this here). I guess some people just like stirring the pot and seem to feel important and self-justified in behaving in an anti-social manner.

Personally, if something may possibly affect my immigration status, I feel MUCH more comfortable popping on down to Immigration and getting the information needed directly from the horse's mouth. You might get proper information here or on a website, but you may just as well get incorrect information, even from well-meaning individuals. In the end, the landlord may or may not give a hoot. The likelihood of them ever getting fined has got to be infinitesimal, but your immigration status can create real life problems. It may seem like a hassle to bother with going to immigration or reading up on their website for information, but it's a lot better than getting your status screwed or paying some belated fines by following some incorrect information.

Thank you Sig good positive information .Up date, today i went to immigration with the lady owner

of this brand new apartment building ,she explained yes my new accomodation should be reported twenty four hours but do not worry it will be no hassle . She proved correct copies of my passport my entry card to Thailand , many stamps, forms my signiture and all done in fifteen minutes .

With hind sight yes i should have notified immigration myself but i thought wrongly it would be automatically done by the owners . Next time yes as explained by Sig i will visit immigration and not rely on others to follow rules correctly . Thank you all who posted positive advice to me .

I stayed in a apartment in sukumvit soi 93.My gf that time made the rent the day before i arrived in her name.

I arrived and we just went inside.The manager looked at me in a strange way.The next day in the morning someone knocked the door.I open and there was the manager and a officer from the immigration.The officer asked for my passport,i gave it and he left with it.After an hour he came back and said everything is ok.He said they had to check if i was on overstay because my gf had paid and rent in her name with her id.

19 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

I always ask that before I sign any rental contract

This one.

Location, location, location becomes

Location, broadband, TM30

20 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Can you please explain how a tenant can register a form TM30?

Go in person overloaded with documents: copies of rental contract, photos, blue book, owners thai id front and back crossed over with the words in thai "for immigration only". Heck I'd even consider a video of the owner verifying their identity and your residence at their property.

A lot of owners here are worried that Imm will talk to Revenue. 

why thai owners are so lazy to report TM30 ?
90% of russian tenants report problems with owners.
Me too I have to insist and ask many times.
For owners is easy to do TM30 online and I need it when I will extend my visa or when I ask Immigration document to renew driving license etc etc

3 minutes ago, mauroest said:

why thai owners are so lazy to report TM30 ?
90% of russian tenants report problems with owners.
Me too I have to insist and ask many times.
For owners is easy to do TM30 online and I need it when I will extend my visa or when I ask Immigration document to renew driving license etc etc

Probably because the owner's are usually not the ones facing the consequences.

Why are the tanents so lazy to report TM30?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Probably because the owner's are usually not the ones facing the consequences.

Why are the tanents so lazy to report TM30?

The owners / landlords are the ones that get the fine, so in their best interest to timely submit TM30.  It's not the tenants responsibility to report.

Why landlords may not want to ... possibly scared of getting hit with tax as anything over 3 yr lease has to be registered at land office & taxed.

Edited by KhunLA

42 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The owners / landlords are the ones that get the fine, so in their best interest to timely submit TM30.  It's not the tenants responsibility to report.

Not always since a person renting a residence is also liable as a tenant (aka possessor)to pay the fine.