Bitcoin 'founder' wins right to keep billions of dollars

webfact

_122001633_mediaitem89541207.jpg

In 2016 Mr Wright claimed to be the founder of Bitcoin

A computer scientist who claims he invented Bitcoin has won a court case allowing him to keep a cache of the cryptocurrency worth billions of dollars.

A jury rejected claims that Craig Wright's former business partner was due half of the assets.

As a result Mr Wright will retain 1.1m Bitcoin, worth $54bn (£40bn). However he will pay $100m to his late partner's company for intellectual property infringement.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59571277

BBC.jpg

-- © Copyright BBC 2021-12-09

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

that's quite a stunt that guy pulled, above all when it's not been proved that he is the real creator.

Madoff would be proud,

congrats for pulling a 54b USD "legal" scam ????

Maybe I am missing something but why is it a scam ? I assume he (and his partner) had BTC in the early days and thats just what the worth of it is today. He may have defrauded his partner but it's not a scam as such.

10 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

cryptos is a breeding ground for scammers, and it's not about to stop

Everything on the web is a breeding ground for scammers, crypto is no different.

I understand the basics of BTC and Ethereum but some part of me can't help thinking this is a pyramid scheme and when it falls, it's going to take a lot of people with it

• Like 2

On 12/9/2021 at 4:49 AM, Karma80 said:

This case did not actually consider if Wright really is the Bitcoin creator.
It was bracketed and taken as given as part of the case that he has what he claims, but he has never been able to prove it.
https://www.coindesk.com/business/2021/12/08/there-was-no-satoshi-nakamoto-lawsuit/

There is definitely something wrong here. I think the jury benefited from this decision.

Edited by niksadon

On 12/9/2021 at 12:19 PM, Karma80 said:

This case did not actually consider if Wright really is the Bitcoin creator.
It was bracketed and taken as given as part of the case that he has what he claims, but he has never been able to prove it.
https://www.coindesk.com/business/2021/12/08/there-was-no-satoshi-nakamoto-lawsuit/

The bottom line is that he and he alone (maybe also his dead partner) have the wallet address so it's his to keep.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2021 at 5:45 PM, Chelseafan said:

Everything on the web is a breeding ground for scammers, crypto is no different.

I understand the basics of BTC and Ethereum but some part of me can't help thinking this is a pyramid scheme and when it falls, it's going to take a lot of people with it

Govts are all pyramid schemes

You poor folk at the bottom

On 12/9/2021 at 2:59 PM, GrandPapillon said:

that's quite a stunt that guy pulled, above all when it's not been proved that he is the real creator.

Madoff would be proud,

congrats for pulling a 54b USD "legal" scam ????

Who created Bit Coin will be the new Who built the Pyramids!

• Haha 2

On 12/9/2021 at 9:08 AM, webfact said:

As a result Mr Wright will retain 1.1m Bitcoin, worth $54bn (£40bn). However he will pay $100m to his late partner's company for intellectual property infringement.

that reminds me of my home country where government officials get fined for 7'000'000 for stealing 100'000'000 from the budget and a probation instead of a jail because it was their very first felony.

Pretty good business, if you ask me.