Selling Gold In Thailand

I have some old gold jewelry that i would like to sell on. I did read many years ago that China Town in Bangkok was the best place to go as they give you almost market price. Is this true? Does anyone have experience selling gold in Thailand? Are there other better places?

8 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Is it jewellery that you previously purchased from a gold shop in Thailand?

It is gold jewellery that i purchased in Europe. A broken chain, some bracelets and bits of old broken and cut off bits of gold jewellery.

Edited by Steps

5 minutes ago, Steps said:

It is gold jewellery that i purchased in Europe. A broken chain, some bracelets and bits of old broken and cut off bits of gold jewellery.

What Karats are we talking here 14K, 18K or is it Thai gold.  That makes a big difference in the purchasing by the shop.  They will also look for the stamp of the maker and to see if it is stamped with the karat.  Most wont give you near the price of weighted gold for non Thai gold which is almost pure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

What Karats are we talking here 14K, 18K or is it Thai gold.  That makes a big difference in the purchasing by the shop.  They will also look for the stamp of the maker and to see if it is stamped with the karat.  Most wont give you near the price of weighted gold for non Thai gold which is almost pure.

It is not Thai Gold. Again it's from Europe. Regarding Karats, im not sure. So would i get a better price in Europe or here in Thailand?

1 minute ago, Steps said:

It is not Thai Gold. Again it's from Europe. Regarding Karats, im not sure. So would i get a better price in Europe or here in Thailand?

Probably back home, but it doesn't hurt to take it in and have them look at it and quote you a price.  Many may want to just give you a sum up front with you basically pawning it.  You may even be able to trade it in for Thai gold from their shop.  That's what I did with my old wedding ring from the US.  Used the trade in to buy a small gold bar.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Steps said:

Europe is mainly 9ct,  18ct & 22ct. 

Whether you get a better price I would doubt it gold is gold there is buying price less anything the buyer wants to knock that price after its been tested to see what gold value is there when melted down. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steps said:

Can you recommend anywhere?

Years back I have bought and sold bars in New Sukhothai using same shop thats as far as I went in dealing gold. 

Many shops in Bkk as already said just shop around and look for a shop that has a workshop they are more likely to buy it as they have the means to melt it down. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, allanos said:

For interest's sake, I asked a gold shop in Pattaya how much they would give me for my long 9ct gold neck chain. They just about laughed me out of the shop.

I persisted, so, and I think they were being polite because I was already a customer there, they offered me 50 baht. It was my turn to laugh!

???? They were not a workshop I assume so would have no interest in other than Thai gold. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

???? They were not a workshop I assume so would have no interest in other than Thai gold. 

My opinion is that the problem was that the chain was low-grade "Western" gold as opposed to Thai gold.

@Steps

No, they don't buy at market rate unless it's Thai gold bars. If it's jewellery, they will give you much lower rates especially if it's foreign gold.

I did sell my foreign gold jewellery in Bangkok's Chinatown last year.

Many shops won't even want to buy it, I finally found a gold shop that accepted it after 'torching' it to see whether it's pure gold. 

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, allanos said:

My opinion is that the problem was that the chain was low-grade "Western" gold as opposed to Thai gold.

The Thai opinion is that Western gold is not of interest other than melt it,  gold is a very special thing to Thais because of the relationship with Buddhism.

Edited by Kwasaki

I believe the price of Thai gold (22 carat) is standardized, and all shops give the same price. The gold shops in Chinatown are the longest established. Look along Phahurat Road, but really any large gold shop, including the ones conveniently located in any shopping mall will likely have the same policies. The ones in the shopping malls are more likely to have staff who can speak English (my opinion, which may be wrong). Your best bet is to take the jewelry to one or more shops and ask them. I think European jewelry uses gold with a higher standard of purity, so they may not want it.

• Thanks 1

Most gold shops will not accept them. The ones that do will have to remove the impurities then add their metals back in to make them into Thai gold. As such it depends on the quantity and whether it’s worth the work and cost of chemicals. So you’ll get a better price in Europe as they can just melt them into something else without altering the composition. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2021 at 2:08 PM, allanos said:

For interest's sake, I asked a gold shop in Pattaya how much they would give me for my long 9ct gold neck chain. They just about laughed me out of the shop.

I persisted, so, and I think they were being polite because I was already a customer there, they offered me 50 baht. It was my turn to laugh!

That's why China town was recommend to me many years ago. Apparently they are willing to buy all gold. Not sure what they would be offering though. Would be good to get standard market value.