First Thai Airways Sydney flight lands in Phuket

webfact

20ff716a8be8deaea0fad4c048841e3e_small.jpg

By Tanakorn Sangiam

PHUKET (NNT) - A new flight operated by Thai Airways today landed for the first time in Phuket from Sydney, bringing tourists directly from Australia to Thailand’s Phuket Sandbox holiday program.

193 passengers from Sydney today arrived in Phuket. It was the first direct flight from the Australian city to the Thai island since the start of the pandemic. Around 130 of the passengers are staying in Phuket and the rest are traveling to other provinces including Bangkok.

Passengers arriving at Phuket on this flight entered the country under the Test & Go quarantine-free scheme.

Travelers taking advantage of this scheme are required to book at least one night at a SHA Plus certified hotel or quarantine hotel, where they must remain inside their room and wait for their RT-PCR Covid test to come back negative, before they are free to roam.

Mr. Tanes Petsuwan, Deputy Governor for Marketing Communications, Asia and South Pacific, at the Tourism Authority of Thailand said Thai Airways now operates 4-weekly flights from Sydney to Phuket, while the number of international arrivals is expected to continue on an upward trend.

He said the government’s policy to reopen the country to international visitors is showing results, as seen from the growing number of international visitors.

nnt.jpg

30 minutes ago, huyuli said:

It was a little wet that day. (Covid test at Sydney airport, 79 AUD).

image.thumb.jpeg.254d8d1ccfbe479f984fb4eebac3d1a6.jpeg

Wow ! Little late for me this time. I didn't even see that. Thanks for posting. At the international terminal? And was accepted at swampy obviously? 

On 12/10/2021 at 3:23 PM, ChrisY1 said:

PCR tests elsewhere can have a result in 1 hour...Singapore etc...even Sydney!

Bet you mix this up with the rapid antigen test (which is not accepted for the purpose).

A proper RT-PCR is hard to get under 12 hours for a hefty "express surcharge".

E.g. Switzerland:

Swiss Medical Center (SMC) provides an Express COVID-19 PCR test.  You will receive your results and certificate usually within 24h, including weekends and holiday periods. 

In urgent cases the result can be available within 12 hours. 

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 12/11/2021 at 1:27 PM, starky said:

Wow ! Little late for me this time. I didn't even see that. Thanks for posting. At the international terminal? And was accepted at swampy obviously? 

Yes. Opposite Departure Gate D. Accepted on arrival at Suvarnabhumi. Carries the IATA QR code.

• Thanks 1