Problems because of Microsoft Update

Russell17au

59 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I have just gone into settings on this computer and it states under the Windows updates that you can only pause the Windows updates for 7 days but I have also seen somewhere that you can pause the updates for a maximum of 35 days but I cannot remember where it was

just hit "Pause updates for 7 days" several times, and it will increase up to 35 days the suspension date

3 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:
4 hours ago, Russell17au said:

I have just gone into settings on this computer and it states under the Windows updates that you can only pause the Windows updates for 7 days but I have also seen somewhere that you can pause the updates for a maximum of 35 days but I cannot remember where it was

just hit "Pause updates for 7 days" several times, and it will increase up to 35 days the suspension date

There's a utility called "RegShot" that can compare the Registry settings before and after a change.

I wonder if it can be used to determine exactly what changes in the Registry when you pause the updates?

If you find which setting changes, you could possibly modify the Registry manually to make the "suspension date" a long, long way off.

57 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

There's a utility called "RegShot" that can compare the Registry settings before and after a change.

I wonder if it can be used to determine exactly what changes in the Registry when you pause the updates?

If you find which setting changes, you could possibly modify the Registry manually to make the "suspension date" a long, long way off.

they got smarter, you could do that before, and I did exactly that for a while in the early versions of Win10 in 2017

they have a service that watch over "Windows update settings" now, and won't let you "hack" the system to stop the updates

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Thanks 1

Well gentlemen here is an automatic system update for you. I was away for the last couple of nights and was on a different computer but when I returned home this morning I was going to try some of the suggestions so I turned the laptop on and surprise, surprise it fired up into the following screen. "windows is updating" then the percentage sign and "do not turn the computer off" so I let it do its thing and when it finished I tried to log in the normal way on the normal screen and it worked so everything is back to normal. I think that there must have been a bit of feedback to Microsoft and their gliche so they got their rear end into gear and fixed the thing. So thank you gentlemen for all you help, I will remember a lot of the things that a lot of you have told me incase something like this ever happens again. Merry Christmas to you all.

• Like 1