Buying a (semi) professional coffee machine

rudi49jr

11 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

If I were you Id be looking for something on FB marketplace second hand. You are not the first farang husband here who's wife wanted a coffee shop and there is a ton of used stuff for sale. Usual scenario wife takes selfies for the first week as the new business owner then loses interest as Thais generally aren't willing to pay 40 baht plus for a coffee, and in reality to cover overheads, rent etc in a mall or busy area you will need to be selling for 60 baht plus and have a lot of add on product (Cakes, snacks etc). Coffee machines are one of those things. 2 categories, good and useless. Forget the machines that grind and make the coffee, they are toys. You need something with a brass boiler, quality components and it needs to heat for at least 30 minutes before use. 100 cups a day is fairly high turnover for Thailand...to be honest (respectfully) Id say she's dreaming. If it were me Id be going for something low tech but good construction. Find something suits your budget and check the reviews. A proper burr grinder is as important if not more important than the machine and will set you back at least 20000 baht. Again secondhand is ur friend. If you get a decent machine it will be robust and generally easy to repair. Make sure it is a known machine in Thailand for spares, service etc. Other thing you need to consider is how many head machine you are going to need. If she is thinking 50-100 cups an hour she will be getting several customers at once (they don't come one at a time in a timely manner) and making coffee one serve a time will make the process difficult and annoying to the customers. A single group head dispenser wont be enough. I would say two at the least and a new machine like this, even low tech is not going to be available for 35k. There is quite a lot to making decent coffee and it goes far and beyond a good machine and grinder. If you are investing in this you need to make sure she has some training. Grinder and grind control to suit your machine is imperative. Tamping...Good quality beans. Minimizing wastage. I would definitely be looking for an Italian quality built simple machine that was well reviewed. There is no such thing as a semi commercial set up. Coffee is either good or <deleted>, there is no in between unfortunately. Forget any domestic style machines (Breville etc). You may as well use Nescafe. They look nice but that's as far as it goes.  

Really mate I have NEVER seen a coffee shop here doing those sorts of numbers, not unless she was in a busy mall with great coffee. Apart from some decent shops in Bangkok I would say I have never had a decent cup of store coffee here that was better than a 14 baht 7/11 3 in one. Usually bitter and awful. I would say have a real think about what her real usage is going to be. And forgive me if she has some experience at this and you do know for a fact the turnover is going to be as she says. If not, and she will only be doing a few random cups here and there you may be better off with a decent 6 cup Moka (Stovetop) pot, a decent grinder and a milk frother. Will be a much better result than a so so machine with a so so grinder which is only being used a few times a day.

One other way to consider is a Nespresso machine with the little pods. It is an expensive way to make coffee for a shop (10-15 baht a pod) but will be easy for her and a guaranteed decent shot every time. Easy storage, no waste, electricity usage way lower and no need to grind. She will need to be selling for 65 baht or so a shot though. 

A very qualified comment. Thank you. ????

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, watthong said:

But as with any other brick and mortar business, always remember, location, location.

And with coffee shops early opening times.

And with all shops: consistency is important. If people know a coffee shop is i.e. 100m away from their work and they go there regularly before work then all is fine. But if the shop is i.e. closed for a day or two without further notice then people will be unhappy that they relied on that shop but then it was closed. And maybe next time they will go somewhere else more reliable.

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2021 at 10:41 AM, KC 71 said:

I just use a couple of these ( Lazada)

you can get a grinder in the deal.I just dont use mine. ( my coffee man pre grinds it for me)

A0716B50-5EE5-4C72-88F1-D68088F619F7.jpeg

Have the same 'coffee' machine.  Makes an decent, inexpensive cup of Joan.  But wouldn't use for espresso, if that's one's choice.  As 15 bar, and pushes the water through too fast, no matter how fine your grind is.

Good for home, not pro use though.  

Actually take it with us most times when out & about, depending where to & how long.  Or fall back on ol' dependable.

1613693293609DN.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1