Thai cabinet to be asked to extend consumer spending stimulus schemes

Jonathan Fairfield

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAivXYmbeYBqn3xwhc2yNmqTeD1MxUHTjkYOPBFQ8.jpeg

Thai people may get to enjoy the benefits of the 50:50 co-payment and “Shop Dee Mee Kuen” (The More You Spend the More You Get) schemes until end of January, as the Finance Ministry considers extending the two economic stimulus measures.

Finance Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith said that the ministry will submit a proposal to extend the two schemes for another month to the cabinet on December 21st.

The programs are currently in their third phase, having been twice renewed, but are due to expire at the end of this month.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-cabinet-to-be-asked-to-extend-consumer-spending-stimulus-schemes/

Logo-top-.png

I have observed many folks using the 50/50 scheme and many of them are employed and have jobs.  Never have I observed any of the locals that are vendors themselves using the scheme or even those we support with our handouts as they do not work and do not qualify.  Stimulus should be rolled out to the masses and not the few.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I have observed many folks using the 50/50 scheme and many of them are employed and have jobs.  Never have I observed any of the locals that are vendors themselves using the scheme or even those we support with our handouts as they do not work and do not qualify.  Stimulus should be rolled out to the masses and not the few.

I have two close teacher friends, they've enjoyed the 50/50 scheme many times overt the last year or so.

Going out to lunch often they say is cheaper than shopping and cooking themselves.

In a round-about way this is helping the restaurateurs who've had a hard time.

However receiving a government salary for being at home for the best part of a year isn't helping the vulnerable end.

• Like 1

It would be great if they did. We joined up late and are doing our best to use it before the year is up. We didn't use it the first few times as I'd just cook at home, but the sellers/local economy need us to go out and spend. Therefore we try to support as many of the local businesses (with nice owners) as we can. If we had to pay full price I'd just cook at home again as my cooking is generally better (can cook to our own tastes and use more quality ingredients) 

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You really should get the facts before posting garbage. 

I do not know much about the other as you cannot be in both. We have been in the 50/50 since the day it started and that is open to everyone. Those without a usable phone get issued with a card to hand to the retailer. My wife has taught many in the area how to register and use the scheme. Her uncle was round here a couple of weeks ago, he has a small shop and is losing all his customers again, never registered previously as he thought it was too complicated.

If there is any criticism it would be bringing such a scheme to a technology hesitant society. Those that can are of an age that don't need to.

A couple of years ago I was in China and they are streets ahead of Thailand, everyone, including old ladies in the market, pays by QR code on a phone. They didn't like it when I handed over cash.