1 year extension NON O, i have thai WIFE and thai KIDS, which one is better or more hassle free for extension?

HI

i was just wondering as i have both, thai wife and 2 thai kids,  if im to make a 1 year extension, which one is easier??  (before i done this 6-7 years ago, based on thai wife, i remember had to take photos etc...)

is it easier if based on kids?    whats the current requirement for both?   

i live in hua hin in a rented condo, and both my kids attend thai school. and would use the 400k in bank option

any suggestion would be glad to hear  

thank you

When I decided to get off the Covid-extension roundabout last November in Udon Thani, my initial 'converting' 90-day Non-O was granted on being the father of our Thai-born son. I got the feeling this was because the paperwork was "easier" for them? Since schools were shuttered, they only needed his Thai birth certificate plus the Tibian bahn but I threw in his ID card for good measure. However, when I went for the full 1-year extension, they 'insisted' that it was only possible based on marriage to a Thai national. The only bonus was due to the restrictions they had on people cluttering up immigration offices, it was the fastest marriage extension issuing in-out I have ever experienced and Mrs NL wasn't even asked to attend.

YMMV

TiT

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Other than the 400k baht being the bank for 2 months for marriage and only on the day you apply for being  the parent there is little difference.

In some cases marriage would be easier since some offices want a letter from you child's school and photos of them at the school and a few other things.

Also some offices would not do the extension based upon being their parent if married.

Is there a specific office that applies the 400k on the day distinction for a Thai Child Visa? I'm being told its 60 days (both by agent I won't name for the moment and Sakonakhon immigration) same as Marriage. I have otherwise all the documentation but I'm not confident my Visa agent is going to come through with the 60 day Covid extension, at this point...

Thanks.

7 hours ago, James Bernard said:

Is there a specific office that applies the 400k on the day distinction for a Thai Child Visa? I'm being told its 60 days (both by agent I won't name for the moment and Sakonakhon immigration) same as Marriage. I have otherwise all the documentation but I'm not confident my Visa agent is going to come through with the 60 day Covid extension, at this point...

You cannot pick and choose the office you apply for a extension of stay (it is not a visa) at. It has to be done at office where you are living.

The written rules for a extension based upon being the parent of a Thai does not mention any requirement to have it in the bank for any amount of time. This from clause 2.18 of immigration order 327/2557.

"(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year."

For marriage it states this (note it is 2 months not 60 days).

"(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here is the relevant rule.

2.18 In the case of being a family member of a Thai national (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children): Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

(1) The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM). (2) The alien must have proof of relationship. (3) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto: or (4) In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse's children, said children, adopted children, or spouse's children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not be over 20 years of age except in case of the person hereof is of illness or disability and cannot live without support of father or mother: or  (5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year. In case the father of mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over. For other necessary cases, the Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Immigration Bureau is granted the authority to make decisions regarding approval on a case-by-case basis. (6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

• Like 1

I do extension based on Thai kids at hua hin, I am devorced, had to show devorce paper and paper from amphur to show I had full custody of kids , first time there they wouldn’t look at my custody documents and wanted ex wife to go , after fighting them for 30 minutes and refusing to move they allowed it , my ex is in US with new husband so she wasn’t coming here, after that time it was no harder or easier than marriage extension but kids must go , one time they were angry that I took kids out of school to go there but I said you told me children have to go , they forgot children needed to attend.  If your married might aswell go for marriage extension 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 8:04 AM, ubonjoe said:

You cannot pick and choose the office you apply for a extension of stay (it is not a visa) at. It has to be done at office where you are living.

The written rules for a extension based upon being the parent of a Thai does not mention any requirement to have it in the bank for any amount of time. This from clause 2.18 of immigration order 327/2557.

"(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year."

For marriage it states this (note it is 2 months not 60 days).

"(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year."

Thanks that's useful. Distinction noted re. extension Vs visa... Are there any official options to obtain a new Thai Child visa, whilst borders remain closed? Previously, a trip to Malaysia seemed the way to go to obtain new Non-O.

I would check with your local immigration as some do require that the 400k has to be in the bank for 2 months before applying for extension based on being the father of your child. Maybe not by law but some immigration offices do require it as mine did

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Bernard said:

Thanks that's useful. Distinction noted re. extension Vs visa... Are there any official options to obtain a new Thai Child visa, whilst borders remain closed? Previously, a trip to Malaysia seemed the way to go to obtain new Non-O.

If you entered the country with a tourist visa or visa exempt you could apply for a non-o visa at immigration.

See: https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/7-1.pdf

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you entered the country with a tourist visa or visa exempt you could apply for a non-o visa at immigration.

See: https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/7-1.pdf

Thanks, Joe, I've since had a Non-O Volunteer, and now currently on a Covid Ext. (The Vol. Visa was a mistake in hindsight - issued in a different province / immigration do not like it /won't deal with it). 

Since that has expired maybe I can try again? Currently in Sakonakhon where they seem to want marriage Visa docs / aren't familiar with the official requirements.

I have everything 'officially' required including court document (as son younger than 7 etc. ) Seems to be possible/easier in Pattaya,... Given the circumstances, open to all options - maybe they extend the  ext, Covid maybe they don't..? Sorry to hijack the thread, but any advice appreciated. Dms open.

Edited by James Bernard

On 1/11/2022 at 12:34 PM, Stanvac said:

I would check with your local immigration as some do require that the 400k has to be in the bank for 2 months before applying for extension based on being the father of your child. Maybe not by law but some immigration offices do require it as mine did

Thanks. Yes same, apparently.