PHUKET XTRA: VIDEO: Phuket cops to give away helmets before issuing fines in road safety campaign || December 14

webfact

PHUKET XTRA - December 14 || Brought to you by @PVC Phuket Alcohol consumption for New Year’s Countdown |:| Quarantine extended for ’Sandbox’ visitors |:| Body of missing fisherman found |:| 8 Omicron cases in Thailand |:| Phuket launches 100% helmet campaign Hosted by: JP Mestanza || #Phuket #PhuketNews #Thailand

By Jean-Pierre Mestanza

Source: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-xtra-video-phuket-cops-to-give-away-helmets-before-issuing-fines-in-road-safety-campaign-december-14-82382.php

pkt..jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-12-15

I am glad to hear the new helmet fines, and hope that the police really enforce this law.

When I was in Phuket a few years ago it was a 1000 baht fine for a foreigner who was caught

not wearing a helmet. When I was stopped, I showed the police man my international drivers license

and said that all people caught without a helmet should be charged more if they did not have a

proper license.  The police commander was happy and I am sure made more money that day.

23 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

I am glad to hear the new helmet fines, and hope that the police really enforce this law.

If you ever have the chance to observe a police "checkpoint" for a while you will notice a trend..........foreigners with or without helmets will be stopped, and probably fined if there is any hint of a misdemeanour, whereas Thai folk will be allowed to drive on by.

I'm not knocking the Thai folk, although some common sense in wearing helmets would be a good thing, but the police exercise is usually one of revenue gathering, and they pretty well know that the Thais either won't have the money to pay, or won't simply pay it.

Of course added to this is the fact that the Thai police are lazy and I have seen, on many occasions, two Thai policeman sitting on their motorbike at a traffic light, whilst a Thai person or two, not wearing any crash helmets, will stop alongside of them, yet nothing is done about it.

Nothing will change with regards to the wearing of crash helmets by Thai folk, and it amazes me how many farangs I see driving around these days without one (obviously no checkpoints around?). 

Now this would be a great revenue gathering exercise if the BIB could ever get their lazy butts into gear, but it involves doing some work, so that won't eventuate.

• Like 2