Thai Hom Mali Rice Is World Champion for 2nd Consecutive Year

webfact

hm.jpg

NONTHABURI, Dec 15 (TNA) – Thailand's fragrant rice known as Hom Mali is the champion in the World's Best Rice Award for the second consecutive year as the commerce minister expects Thailand to export 6 million tons of rice this year.

Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said that Hom Mali rice won the World's Best Rice Award 2021 which marked its 13 th  anniversary. American rice traders organized the annual contest in Dubai on Dec 7-9 and it drew 11 rice entries from the United States, China, India, Vietnam, Myanmar and Thailand.

Hom Mali 105 rice from northeastern Thailand won the award. The Thai Rice Exporters Association submitted the entry. Thailand's rice won the championship for seven times over the past 13 editions of the contest.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-842888

tnalogo.jpg
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Hom Mali 105 rice from northeastern Thailand won the award. The Thai Rice Exporters Association submitted the entry. Thailand's rice won the championship for seven times over the past 13 editions of the contest.

They must have tested a special batch presented for testing, as the Hom Mali I know and used to get locally has gone down in standard over the last couple of years and is now nothing compared to what it used to be.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's fragrant rice known as Hom Mali

Here in hua hin we are burning the Hom Mali and breathing the fragrant smoke and subsequent PM2.5 air pollution and I can assure everyone, it is indeed the best in the world. ????

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Real Basmati is a meal in itself but Surinam rice though less famous is excellent too.

To be honest, all Thai rice tastes much the same to me. What is more important to me is whether it is freshly cooked and cooked correctly. Most served in restaurants, in my opinion, is overcooked. But when they get it right, probably more by luck than judgement, with firm individual grains, I notice it and usually comment to my Thai lady how nice it is. She usually responds that, to her taste, it is undercooked!

quote from the OP: "..... it drew 11 rice entries from the United States, China, India, Vietnam, Myanmar and Thailand".

Then they have missed two important things: Japan as a further contender and from the US entries "Kokuho Rose Rice", (medium grain) which is produced in California and is by far the best rice I have ever tasted. So I am inclined to cast a doubt on this title "World Champion".

I know a Japanese guy by the way who brings with him rice from his home country when he travels.

I do not know of any Thai rice that stands out taste-wise. In our home here we use both short grain Japanese Rice (for me) and Thai Perfume Rice (for my wife).

Would love to try Basmati Rice, too, but I have never seen any on sale here. The brand that was recommended once for sale online is always sold out.