Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Motorbike driving license querry

Eugen63

Hello everybody,

I want to get a Thai motorbike driving license, I have got a Thai car driving license and my home country car and motorbike driving license but I forgot to get an International driving license before coming to Thailand. Can I exchange my home country motorbike driving license for for a Thai one or will I have to take the theory and practice tests to get it?

Thank you for reading.

All you can do is try,different offices have different rules.

Do you have to get your international permit in person in your country or can you let some one else pick it up?

A lot of things can be done online,i would ask a few places over here first.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

As suggested, if can get an IDP online, and sent to you, probably the easiest.  Your local DLT may accept, or simply watch the vid, test & drive is also simple enough.

Depends where the Op is from.

Some countries only permit in person applications for an IDP (do not permit online applications). 

The Op is lacking necessary info to offer an accurate answer. 

• Like 1

I used my UK motorcycle license to get me a Thai one in Udon Thani, no problem at all. All I had to do was the traffic light colour test (it's yellow, not amber) and the brake reaction time test.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I used my UK motorcycle license to get me a Thai one in Udon Thani, no problem at all. All I had to do was the traffic light colour test (it's yellow, not amber) and the brake reaction time test.

I used my UK drivers license !!! 
Thailand’s DLT didn’t know the categories & just saw a shape of a motorbike (50cc scooter !!!) and figured that was sufficient. 

CEAA1472-84C3-4CCB-B5E8-EA7E41A71291.jpeg

If you have a full motorcycle licence in your home country (one that involves a test on a motorcycle, not the limited small bike categories included in car driving licences), then you can get a 2 year Thai motorcycle licence.  Only needs on-line theory training and a simple test, plus the color eyesight test.

On renewal of the 2 year 'temporary' licence, you can get a 5 year.

Need copies of passport and proof of address.

Takes about 2 hours to get.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Whilst on driving licenses can anybody please share the rules about maximum age to drive a car or a motorcycle in Thailand and maximum age licenses can be extended to?

And is there a 'capability' test at say 60, or 65 or 70 or???

I got new DL's just after my 72nd birthday and got nearly 6 years until renewal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I used my UK drivers license !!! 
Thailand’s DLT didn’t know the categories & just saw a shape of a motorbike (50cc scooter !!!) and figured that was sufficient. 

CEAA1472-84C3-4CCB-B5E8-EA7E41A71291.jpeg

Category A is a motorcycle with no restrictions. They were right in giving you a Thai version.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Whilst on driving licenses can anybody please share the rules about maximum age to drive a car or a motorcycle in Thailand and maximum age licenses can be extended to?

I'll answer that one next month. (I've bookmarked this page) I'm 76 in January and will be renewing mine (if they're open of course) I'm told that as long as I have a medical certificate, which shouldn't be a problem for me, I can get a new 5 year one.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I'll answer that one next month. (I've bookmarked this page) I'm 76 in January and will be renewing mine (if they're open of course) I'm told that as long as I have a medical certificate, which shouldn't be a problem for me, I can get a new 5 year one.

Yes, that's my understanding too.  Just renewed my 5 year and asked about age restrictions, and was told just need the usual medical certificate and eye/color tests.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

When I did the peripheral coloured light test, a light came on on the far left. I have a problem with my left eye and said "blue". The young lady conducting the test smacked me (lightly) on the back of my head, said" silly man, it is green" and signed my paperwork!

I got a motorcycle license on the strength of the little pictograms on the back of my UK license, which allow me to drive a motorcycle as a provisional (learner)! I didn't ask for it, they just gave me two licenses, one for a car, one for a bike!

UK license, no IDP required.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

I just assumed that's why at my DLT office the license office is on the 2nd floor, it you can walk up the stairs you passed their physical ????????????

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thanks, actually I have Thai lifetime licenses for car and mocy (issued a long time ago). But just wondered if there's any rules about age.

There's no age limit in many countries and Thailand I was told as long you can passed tests at renewal OK or like in UK produce a doctors OK about health and about eye sight.

Aussie licence used to obtain Thai licences.

One for car.

Another for motorcycle.

They didn't want to give me my heavy rigid vehicle 3 axle licence though. I didn't push it as I doubt I'll be driving a truck very often.

I had to get proof of address from immigration despite having pink id and yellow thabian baan.

Also health cert from hospital or clinic dr.

Colour blindness test and brake reaction time test at dlt.

Therefore took 2 visits to dlt because took a few days for immigration letter.

Nongkhai.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Kiwithl said:

Aussie licence used to obtain Thai licences.

One for car.

Another for motorcycle.

They didn't want to give me my heavy rigid vehicle 3 axle licence though. I didn't push it as I doubt I'll be driving a truck very often.

I had to get proof of address from immigration despite having pink id and yellow thabian baan.

Also health cert from hospital or clinic dr.

Colour blindness test and brake reaction time test at dlt.

Therefore took 2 visits to dlt because took a few days for immigration letter.

Nongkhai.

Thanks for the info. Seems to be the norm. Pain about the Certificate of Residence.