Moderna vaccine

arick

8 hours ago, Chris.B said:

That seems logical. When should they take it?

For all the guys who got 2 x Pfizer on expatvac, half dose of Moderna 6 months after?

Three months and up.  I personally would not get another MRNA vaccine but would get a sinovac or astra 

3 hours ago, arick said:

Three months and up.  I personally would not get another MRNA vaccine but would get a sinovac or astra 

Mix and match?

I'm sure when these so called vaccines were designed they were never envisaged to be mixed hodge podge  with various other companies vaccines to obtain some kind of mediocre benefit.

1 minute ago, userabcd said:

Mix and match?

I'm sure when these so called vaccines were designed they were never envisaged to be mixed hodge podge  with various other companies vaccines to obtain some kind of mediocre benefit.

That may be true but higher rates of efficacy have long been observed from mix n match. I recall reading a South Korean study months ago which said that AZ / Pfizer mix produced a 6x benefit over a double dose of either one.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, arick said:

I have just got off the phone with UCL in London and have been advised to take the whole Moderna vaccine 50ml as purchased for those who have already had two astra zenca vaccines. Dont take half dose. 

I'm confused by your post. The half dose is 50 micrograms for Moderna. I had it yesterday. Perhaps this link may help.

Quote: (Singapore MOH)

The dosages for booster vaccination by vaccine types are:

• 50 mcg for the Moderna vaccine
• 30 mcg for the Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty vaccine

The booster dosage of the Moderna vaccine is less than the 100 mcg used for the first two doses. This is because data has shown that a 50 mcg dose effectively boosts the immune protection against COVID-19. If you have received a 100 mcg dose for your booster vaccination, there are no safety concerns in having done so.

The booster dosage of the Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty vaccine is the same as that used for the first two doses.
https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19/vaccination/faqs---booster-doses

• Like 2

On 12/17/2021 at 10:31 AM, rbkk said:

I'm confused by your post. The half dose is 50 micrograms for Moderna. I had it yesterday. Perhaps this link may help.

Quote: (Singapore MOH)

The dosages for booster vaccination by vaccine types are:

• 50 mcg for the Moderna vaccine
• 30 mcg for the Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty vaccine

The booster dosage of the Moderna vaccine is less than the 100 mcg used for the first two doses. This is because data has shown that a 50 mcg dose effectively boosts the immune protection against COVID-19. If you have received a 100 mcg dose for your booster vaccination, there are no safety concerns in having done so.

The booster dosage of the Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty vaccine is the same as that used for the first two doses.
https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19/vaccination/faqs---booster-doses

Read the fact sheet from the company it original it original was 1.0 ml thrn went down to 0.5ml and as a booster just.0.25ml

I normal dose is 0.5ml which I recieved on Friday they no longer are doing 1.0 ml 

Screenshot_20211219_131330.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, arick said:

Read the fact sheet from the company it original it original was 1.0 ml thrn went down to 0.5ml and as a booster just.0.25ml

I normal dose is 0.5ml which I recieved on Friday they no longer are doing 1.0 ml 

Screenshot_20211219_131330.jpg

Now I'm more confused!

Using a conversion chart I get.......

0.5ml = 500 micrograms (5 x U.S. primary dose, or another way, 10 x Thai/Singapore  booster dose)

50 micrograms = 0.05ml (20% of the recommended booster dosage, 0.25ml)

Can that be correct?

6 hours ago, rbkk said:

Now I'm more confused!

Using a conversion chart I get.......

0.5ml = 500 micrograms (5 x U.S. primary dose, or another way, 10 x Thai/Singapore  booster dose)

50 micrograms = 0.05ml (20% of the recommended booster dosage, 0.25ml)

Can that be correct?

No it can't. The 0.5ml of liquid is not all vaccine -the vaccine is obviously dissolved in water!

It's 0.5ml of WATER that weighs 500 micrograms.

The dose of vaccine you are getting is the amount of vaccine contained in that 0.5ml of water, and is of course dependent on the concentration of the vaccine solution. If 0.25ml of Moderna vaccine contains 50 micrograms of vaccine, then the concentration of the vaccine solution is 200 micrograms active vaccine per ml.

Edited by partington
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, partington said:

No it can't. The 0.5ml of liquid is not all vaccine -the vaccine is obviously dissolved in water!

It's 0.5ml of WATER that weighs 500 micrograms.

The dose of vaccine you are getting is the amount of vaccine contained in that 0.5ml of water, and is of course dependent on the concentration of the vaccine solution. If 0.25ml of Moderna vaccine contains 50 micrograms of vaccine, then the concentration of the vaccine solution is 200 micrograms active vaccine per ml.

Thank-you for clearing that up. It is very confusing though that Moderna on their paperwork use milliliters and Singapore and Thailand (+ others) use micrograms on their websites. Why can't they use the same units of measurement for vaccine doses?

7 hours ago, rbkk said:

Thank-you for clearing that up. It is very confusing though that Moderna on their paperwork use milliliters and Singapore and Thailand (+ others) use micrograms on their websites. Why can't they use the same units of measurement for vaccine doses?

Because millilitres is an instruction about the physical quantity that you inject into people, and micrograms is the actual dose of vaccine. You can't use millilitres as a measurement of dose: dose means amount of vaccine not amount of liquid.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2021 at 11:55 AM, rbkk said:

It should be in millimeters the virus is a solution. Grams are equal to millimeters anyways just the incorrect unit. 

• Haha 1

On 12/22/2021 at 4:51 AM, arick said:

It should be in millimeters the virus is a solution. Grams are equal to millimeters anyways just the incorrect unit. 

Well, a liter was devised to weigh as muchas a kilo of water at a certain temperature. Not sure what the temperature is. but it doesn't apply to other liquids unless they are solutions specifically jiggered so a liter weighs a kilo. I don't know what percentage of the vaccine is composed of water.

6 hours ago, placeholder said:

Well, a liter was devised to weigh as muchas a kilo of water at a certain temperature. Not sure what the temperature is. but it doesn't apply to other liquids unless they are solutions specifically jiggered so a liter weighs a kilo. I don't know what percentage of the vaccine is composed of water.

There is no water! WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS IN THE MODERNA COVID-19 VACCINE?
The Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine contains the following ingredients: messenger ribonucleic acid 
(mRNA), lipids (SM-102, polyethylene glycol [PEG] 2000 dimyristoyl glycerol [DMG], 
cholesterol, and 1,2-distearoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine [DSPC]), tromethamine, 
tromethamine hydrochloride, acetic acid, sodium acetate trihydrate, and sucrose

The usual recommended dose for a Moderna booster is 0.25 mL (50 mcg of vaccine).

But I received the full Moderna dose (0.5 mL, 100 mcg of vaccine) as a booster at Sukhumvit Hospital. My friend received the same full Moderna dose as a booster at BNH.

According to Moderna's published data, the 50 mcg dose increases antibody levels by 37 times, while the 100 mcg dose gives an 83-fold increase.

We're already enjoying the extra antibodies.

Paul Laew

1 hour ago, arick said:

There is no water! WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS IN THE MODERNA COVID-19 VACCINE?
The Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine contains the following ingredients: messenger ribonucleic acid 
(mRNA), lipids (SM-102, polyethylene glycol [PEG] 2000 dimyristoyl glycerol [DMG], 
cholesterol, and 1,2-distearoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine [DSPC]), tromethamine, 
tromethamine hydrochloride, acetic acid, sodium acetate trihydrate, and sucrose

So that means that in this case, the odds are that one milliliter of vaccine does not weigh one gram. Right?

11 hours ago, placeholder said:

So that means that in this case, the odds are that one milliliter of vaccine does not weigh one gram. Right?

There is no need to do any math: the measurement in milliliters and grams are always the same as I stated before.  

Do you know why the French got away with metric?  

12 hours ago, Paulaew said:

The usual recommended dose for a Moderna booster is 0.25 mL (50 mcg of vaccine).

But I received the full Moderna dose (0.5 mL, 100 mcg of vaccine) as a booster at Sukhumvit Hospital. My friend received the same full Moderna dose as a booster at BNH.

According to Moderna's published data, the 50 mcg dose increases antibody levels by 37 times, while the 100 mcg dose gives an 83-fold increase.

We're already enjoying the extra antibodies.

Paul Laew

Yes take as much as you can. 

5 hours ago, arick said:

There is no need to do any math: the measurement in milliliters and grams are always the same as I stated before.  

Do you know why the French got away with metric?  

At any given temperature, does a liter of water weigh the same as a liter of vegetable oil? If you divide that by a thousand would a milliliter of water weigh the same as a milliliter of vegetable oil? There's a reason that oil floats on water. It's less dense. So, no, milliliters and grams are not interchangeable except in the case of water which was the standard used to create the these measures used in the metric system.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 12:43 AM, placeholder said:

At any given temperature, does a liter of water weigh the same as a liter of vegetable oil? If you divide that by a thousand would a milliliter of water weigh the same as a milliliter of vegetable oil? There's a reason that oil floats on water. It's less dense. So, no, milliliters and grams are not interchangeable except in the case of water which was the standard used to create the these measures used in the metric system.

It  litre not liter. Do you also have a Chinese phone? 

11 hours ago, arick said:

It  litre not liter. Do you also have a Chinese phone? 

Actually, it's both

li·ter

/ˈlēdər/

noun

a metric unit of capacity, formerly defined as the volume of one kilogram of water under standard conditions, now equal to 1,000 cubic centimeters (about 1.75 pints).

"a liter bottle of wine"

https://www.google.com/search?q=liter&oq=liter&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i65l3j69i61l2.1242j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And your claim that "There is no need to do any math: the measurement in milliliters and grams are always the same as I stated before." is still patently ridiculous. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones at brick ones.

On 12/26/2021 at 11:55 PM, placeholder said:

So it shouldn't be administered in mcg! I ly in MLs...... ????