Studies Show Students Are Poorer Due To Covid-19

snoop1130

0044e4174370f8f672121b863c93f909_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Research has found the Covid-19 pandemic has compromised children’s education opportunities, with the number of students with financial problems increasing to 1.2 million in 2021.

According to research quoted by Sompong Jitradab of the Equitable Education Fund (EEF), the number of pupils classed as "extremely poor" has climbed to 1.24 million, up from 994,428 in the first semester of 2020. The number represents 20 percent of students nationwide.

He stated that the transition to online learning has had an impact on some children in Grades 1-3, adding that some have fallen behind in reading, writing, and math as a result. Meanwhile, 87 percent of students in 29 provinces lack access to energy or equipment, and those kids who are unable to keep up with their classmates are unlikely to return to school.

Mr. Sompong said that more collaboration is required to keep these children in the educational system. However, he believes that financial support may not be sufficient because these children are also dealing with stress, anxiety, and isolation and will require all the assistance they can get.

Meanwhile, another study citing findings from four communities with a population of 5,000 people discovered that approximately 200 out of every 1,400 children are at risk of dropping out of school, indicating that children from low-income families in urban areas were the most affected by the Covid-19 pandemic.

nnt.jpg
  • Sad 1

The stock photo shows child students. As far as I know, they don't borrow money for their education, parents do. If parents are poor for any reason, why the emphasis on students only, rather than the whole family? 

I am guessing, though, they really mean older students, maybe even independent ones. 

15 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Not the students are poorer, the whole country is, because tourism is destroyed

Right and a few years ago PM was saying that tourism did not make up a big percent of the economy...

And they are 12th in the world for international financial reserves... as much as I may have cared before... "Jimmy Crack  Corn".

Since when has this country taken care of its poor and destitute and aged?

Let the bleeding hearts shed tears over this one... I am out of this queue.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, James105 said:

Don't blame covid for this.   Sweden proved that kids did not need to miss a single day of school in this pandemic.   Government overreaction caused this, not an innocent virus just going about its business.   

Here you go again with your unsubstantiated claims. Sweden has a poor record compared to its neighbours.....how did Sweden prove anything? They are 37th in the table of per capita infections.....not exceptional.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sweden-covid-no-lockdown-strategy-failed-higher-death-rate-2021-8

Innocent virus until proven guilty eh!

15 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Here you go again with your unsubstantiated claims. Sweden has a poor record compared to its neighbours.....how did Sweden prove anything? They are 37th in the table of per capita infections.....not exceptional.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sweden-covid-no-lockdown-strategy-failed-higher-death-rate-2021-8

Innocent virus until proven guilty eh!

What unsubstantiated claims?  

I said Sweden did not close schools.

I said Governments closed schools.

I said the virus is innocent (in this decision) and this is correct as the virus is incapable of making a political decision to close schools.

Which of the above statements is incorrect or false?   

I never mentioned anything about Swedens performance but since you mention 37th in terms of infections then there will be many countries above them that did close schools with much worse outcomes.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, James105 said:

I never mentioned anything about Swedens performance but since you mention 37th in terms of infections then there will be many countries above them that did close schools with much worse outcomes.  

Yes 36 maybe......and many more below them who did close schools and did far better.....

You claimed 'Sweden proved that kids did not need to miss a single day of school in this pandemic'.... and I see no substantiation. Kids returning to school caused an up-kick in UK infections earlier in the year. The children took it home to vulnerable family members. 

Innocent virus... what a nonsense.....

No Sh*@ Sherlock! As soon as they started the first lockdown, I told my Thai friends to be looking for this in the future and I believe we are just seeing the beginning of the disaster the idiots in government (and the massive number of numbskulls in the populace that agreed with them) created with lockdowns. What did they think was going to happen to education when they single-handedly wiped thousands upon thousands of jobs and businesses off the economic map!? Obviously, when people lose their businesses and jobs, they ain't gonna be paying for any decent education, let alone myriad other things like homes, cars, etc. With just a very rudimentary understanding of history and economics, any dunderhead should have been able to figure that one out.

You don't say!  Nothing like stating the obvious.  You don't need a PhD to work this one out, all you need to do is get out from your offices and mingle with the people whom you are meant to be serving both as Ministers and Government Administrators.  But clearly you are happy to sit in your comfortable offices, drawing you very inflated salaries.  Shame on you!

On 12/17/2021 at 5:31 PM, ikke1959 said:

Not the students are poorer, the whole country is, because tourism is destroyed, visa rules are outdated ,so that many foreigners with a wife and family, who had a small shop or restaurant, had to leave several years ago, and although the 50/50 scheme of Mr Prayth seems good, it is only for the people with money, because how can you buy anything if you hardly have enough for food. But in the meantime there are people who will be richer by the day, instead of helpin g the people in need  

My kids are actually richer, they get the same pocket money yet stay at home getting 3 meals a day.

• 8 months later...