Register New Vehicle In Foreign Or Thai Name

Only had one bike in my name and it just seems more of a hassle selling it. 

All other 7 vehicles overtime my wife's name.

Only have a bank account in my name because immigration changed things and wouldn't except the joint bank account anymore.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Agree,

Easier to put it in my woman's name, and for a 50KBht M/c I'm not bothered about her running off with it. But it'd be different if I were buying a new 1MBht car (or house).

That's why the first 2 went in my name, instead of 1st Thai wife's name.  That marriage did end quickly ???? as #4 on the betrayed thread, and not surprised ????  

2nd (present and last) Thai wife, courted (lived with) 8 yrs before marrying, and 100k savings on a 550k price point / entry level car was a good motivator.  Only pocket money for us ฿ millionaires ????

And hell yea ... had a 'usufruct for life' on the land / house.  Trusting but not stupid, though TBH, more incase she crapped out earlier than me.  Still 23 yr age difference & sh!t does happen.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Agree,

Easier to put it in my woman's name, and for a 50KBht M/c I'm not bothered about her running off with it. But it'd be different if I were buying a new 1MBht car (or house).

One old timer said to me,

"When you break up with your gf, how are you gonna leave her, if you ride away in her vehicle she will call the police and report it stolen"

Well I would tell the old timer I wouldn't get involved with a woman like that in the first place. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Register it - by all means - in your name. Resale value of cars pre-owned by foreigners fetch considerably higher prices as Thais are aware of the fact, that non-Thais play it by the book as far as preventive maintenance etc. is concerned. 

Costs and paperwork for registration is the same but selling it on later on is a different ball game. 

Never made any difference to us buying and selling as long as you keep service history doesn't make a hoot of difference in the selling price in my experience.

6 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Thanks for the replies.. I've owned three vehicles over the years in Thailand, all in my own name, and just wanted to confirm no real reason to put it in a Thai name. I've sold two of them and it wasn't any real hassle. 

Stick to car in your name. Best option for piece of mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Never made any difference to us buying and selling as long as you keep service history doesn't make a hoot of difference in the selling price in my experience.

May even get a better price when selling.  For some silly reason, some seem to think foreigners maintain their vehicles better than the locals ... ????

Show me service receipts, on that, save all yours.  I  just put them in with the manual / schedule folder and stays in the glove box.

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

May even get a better price when selling.  For some silly reason, some seem to think foreigners maintain their vehicles better than the locals ... ????

Show me service receipts, on that, save all yours.  I  just put them in with the manual / schedule folder and stays in the glove box.

That's what we do whoevers name is in the book history is what is wanted. 

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Agree,

One old timer said to me,

"When you break up with your gf, how are you gonna leave her, if you ride away in her vehicle she will call the police and report it stolen"

When I was living in the boonies I had the same thought regarding needing a vehicle in my name. Got to have an escape plan.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Sad so many on this Forum have to live their life in Thailand with such a mindset. 

Everyone's situation is different. Nothing sad about the advice.

Edited by EVENKEEL

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Had a couple in my name.  Put the 3rd one in the wife's name, and saved 100k on excise tax rebate scheme, before the last coup, for 'new' car owners, as she never owned one.  4th one in her name also, since I'm 68 ish, and it may outlast me.  Easy 'no' transfer and no 'death tax' ... ????

That was a Yingluck incentive to sell more cars, now finished.  

23 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

am I correct in assuming taxes, registration, insurance, and annual road tax is the same for both ???? 

Yes you are correct. 

21 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well I would tell the old timer I wouldn't get involved with a woman like that in the first place. 

Many Many years ago when i was a naïve newbie here, I was in a relationship with a Thai woman here for 2yrs, l brought a second hand car, woke up early one morning and she was gone along with the car that she sold, to pay her mothers gambling debts.

I love and trust my wife but now even if I buy a fridge, my name is on the receipt, once bitten and all that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/18/2021 at 2:04 AM, transam said:

Correct, no difference, except it belongs to the named person in the blue book, when I came to LOS I bought a ride in my name, I eventually sold it on and the money was put into my bank account...????

sneaky so and so......LOL:clap2:

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2021 at 3:52 PM, Kwasaki said:

I always got better prices on compareable vehicle sales