Visa exempt - how long can you stay?

2 minutes ago, Orient Express said:

But in the current situation, after the 30-day extension, you can apply for a further 60-day Covid extension - correct?

But only to January 25th at this time. I prefer not to suggest it unless a person is arriving soon.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

So someone could come in on VE, stay up to 90 days, pay 20K on their way out and return whenever they want without issue?

I would not suggest anybody to do that. If caught with a overstay the would be put in detention, be deported and be banned from entering the country for 2 years.

It would be more than 90 days from when they enter the country. A overstay starts from the day your permit to stay ends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

So someone could come in on VE, stay up to 90 days, pay 20K on their way out and return whenever they want without issue?

And if caught before entering the airport we get a new thread here "I'm in IDC, please help"

Edited by JustAnotherHun

At CM Immigration, one coming in visa exempt cannot apply or get a 60-day "covid extension" without first obtaining the standard 30-day extension. During that  30-day extension, one can then apply for the 60-day "covid extension" presuming it's still available then.

• Like 2

Gents, wondering if a VE can be parlayed into an 0 for marriage or retirement reasons?  If not, how can I enter Thailand after a long stay in the U.S. and obtain a long term visa based on either marriage or retirement?  Thanks. 

10 hours ago, Fore Man said:

Gents, wondering if a VE can be parlayed into an 0 for marriage or retirement reasons?  If not, how can I enter Thailand after a long stay in the U.S. and obtain a long term visa based on either marriage or retirement?

You can apply for a non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai or retirement at immigration after entering visa exempt. You must have at least 15 days remaining on your 30 day entry or the 30 day extension of it apply

Then during the lass the 30 day of the 90 day stay the non-o allows when issued apply for a one year extension of stay.

Requirements are here after selecting the one you want. https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/issuing-and-changing-type-of-visa/

I welcome replies from power extension-recipients. For example, due to context and dates of arrival and application you have had your 'visa exempt' temporary stay extended X times.

And you think you might have the maximum record of such. Three, four, five times due to extenuating circumstances? And what were those circumstances? I speculate that if a person arrived during the height of COVID, without adequate vaccination levels in Thailand, with impossibility of returning home due to tegulations at the other end - you have been in Thailand (unwillingly?) for over a year.

BTW, I am not suggesting this as a long-stay strategy. I just find oddball examples amusing.

Any takers?

2 hours ago, World Traveller2 said:

I welcome replies from power extension-recipients. For example, due to context and dates of arrival and application you have had your 'visa exempt' temporary stay extended X times.

And you think you might have the maximum record of such. Three, four, five times due to extenuating circumstances? And what were those circumstances? I speculate that if a person arrived during the height of COVID, without adequate vaccination levels in Thailand, with impossibility of returning home due to tegulations at the other end - you have been in Thailand (unwillingly?) for over a year.

BTW, I am not suggesting this as a long-stay strategy. I just find oddball examples amusing.

Any takers?

There have been reports here from people who entered Thailand visa exempt pre-Covid (in March 2020) and have staid in Thailand ever since, like this: Regular 30 days extension, then Covid "amnesty", then Covid extensions. Not sure how oddball or common that is, but definitely a possibility.