8 TB solid-state external HDD - any good?

Guderian

21 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

maybe time to keep only the good ones, like most "normal" people do ????

Maybe its time for you to stop judging people. He likes to collect his music. I prefer spotify. So what people are different. Thankfully not all as annoying as you.

• Like 2

Just now, GrandPapillon said:

that still doesn't excuse you for keeping "4400" as a series ????

I bet they are all in 4K,

priceless ????

You might be right about that this is actually the reboot and ongoing.. but found it not that interesting. 

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

I remember many years ago that Kingston was one of the premier names in memory sticks. Places like TukCom in Pattaya were full of 128 GB and 256 GB versions of them, selling much cheaper than the genuine 56 GB articles, which was the largest size Kingston made back then. They were all Chinese fakes, of course, and either didn't work at all or else failed very quickly. But it's a long time since I bought any solid-state memory so I had no idea if the price has collapsed. It definitely sounds too good to be true, and there are no reviews (though on Lazada they're often little help, the Thais will give it five stars just for arriving in the post, lol). Anyway, thanks for sort of confirming my suspicions.

There are no real 8tb or 4tb or 2tb for 1200 baht...

I bought this one 2 days ago...only 2tb 8900 baht.

https://www.jib.co.th/web/product/readProduct/32382/1358/2-TB-PORTABLE-SSD--เอสเอสดีพกพา--SANDISK-EXTREME-PORTABLE-SSD--SDSSDE60-2T00-G25-

3 hours ago, grain said:

I'm looking for something this size to back up my MP3 music collection, which is spread over a dozen various size HDDs. 8TB would probably do me but there wouldn't be much space left. And I'm backing up MP3s, most of my fellow music collectors have moved up to FLAC files....jeez, they'd be filling an 8TB drive every year. ????

If you back up to hard drives it would be a good idea to buy something like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001036047488.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.6ae45c5cGJwjSv&algo_pvid=4ae715f8-44ab-4519-a9ba-ca0a09459afa&algo_exp_id=4ae715f8-44ab-4519-a9ba-ca0a09459afa-17&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000018236058277"}

I have 2 x 2tb failed external hard drives already in Thailand,  probably the humidity is damaging them, as sometimes I don't power them for many months. From now on the drives will be stored in a box like the one in the link.

my advice to anyone who wants additional storage is always to get an external RAID-1 HDD or SSD enclosure.

SSD like HDD do fail, and then the benefits of running RAID-1 will become obvious.

all my HDD/SSD drives are RAID-1, especially the system disks, where having a spare in the same machine which can then run without interruption is a godsend.

then just swap out the failed disk. no data loss, no reinstall.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, robblok said:

Its all about what someone likes and thinks is nice. Its not up to others to say you dont need it because they are happy with their minimalistic stuff. We all have things we like to spend money on that others might not do. I am not a car guy for instance or a bar type. So should I call those out that go to bars or like expensive cars ?

Just stupid IMHO, same my GF likes whiskey and has some 4000bt bottles too. I would hate to drink something like that knowing its that expensive. But her choice her money. I mean if someone likes something then let them do so. 

+1

Live and let Live!! And not judge someone (unlike some people on here) :whistling:

13 hours ago, gearbox said:

If you back up to hard drives it would be a good idea to buy something like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001036047488.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.6ae45c5cGJwjSv&algo_pvid=4ae715f8-44ab-4519-a9ba-ca0a09459afa&algo_exp_id=4ae715f8-44ab-4519-a9ba-ca0a09459afa-17&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000018236058277"}

I have 2 x 2tb failed external hard drives already in Thailand,  probably the humidity is damaging them, as sometimes I don't power them for many months. From now on the drives will be stored in a box like the one in the link.

I use these

https://www.invadeit.co.th/category/enclosure-box/storage-box/

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, tgw said:

my advice to anyone who wants additional storage is always to get an external RAID-1 HDD or SSD enclosure.

SSD like HDD do fail, and then the benefits of running RAID-1 will become obvious.

all my HDD/SSD drives are RAID-1, especially the system disks, where having a spare in the same machine which can then run without interruption is a godsend.

then just swap out the failed disk. no data loss, no reinstall.

Before an SSD fails you get warnings or at least I did. Popped up while booting the computer. Might be that i got an advanced motherboard or whatever. So no guarantee that its the same for other people. Also there are drive tools for your SSD's that i run once in a while and they show health too. 

I never did that with my normal HDD. I don't really worry that much about having to do a reinstall. Its a bit of a problem at first  but later it gives me a nice clean system. I had one SSD fail (like i said first warnings that ignored ????) and then it noticed it failing. But all my data that is important is backed up so not too bad.

I especially went for my new motherboard that had extra cooling for the NVME M2 ssd drives as they could run hot when my graphical card was doing a lot work. (processor not such a problem as it was liquid cooled). After the new motherboard the temperature of my NVME SSD's dropped 15 degrees. So not to bad from 55 to 40 or so. Heat is a killer for most computer parts and us being in the tropics often in rooms that are not super cold does not help.

18 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

If it's for backup, an external 3.5'' hdd connected via USB would be your best option

Can you recommend one that's a good buy at the moment, perhaps on Lazada or Shopee, or at any stores throughout Thailand? A decent quality 3.5'' hdd connected via USB around 4,5,6,7,8 TBs, that will serve me well as a 2nd backup device for my MP3 collection?

43 minutes ago, grain said:

Can you recommend one that's a good buy at the moment, perhaps on Lazada or Shopee, or at any stores throughout Thailand? A decent quality 3.5'' hdd connected via USB around 4,5,6,7,8 TBs, that will serve me well as a 2nd backup device for my MP3 collection?

You have these

https://www.invadeit.co.th/category/external-hard-drives/

or

https://www.invadeit.co.th/category/portable-hard-drives/

The first ones are a bit more expensive but you have them in Bigger Sizes and some have them even have RAID (RAID-1 are 2 drives one drive dies you still have the second one (each drive holds it's own copy of the data))

This shop (InvadeIT) I think a lot of members on here will recommend. I most certainly do!!

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grain said:

I never bought at these shops and I do not use external 3.5'' HDs anymore.

If it's for backup and not permanently connected, I would buy a docking like the Sharkoon Sata QuickPort

https://en.sharkoon.com/product/1686/17652

Easy and fast swap. So you have the option to use one or more HDs of size and brand you like. As HDs I strongly recommend WD Red Plus (in- or extern).

We use them on our 24/7-servers and with the Sharkoon station for backups. Never haid a fail.

USB-HDs out of the box with their plastic covers will do too, but you don't know what HD is inside and if the box dosn't work anymore (which is more likely than a HD-defect) you can't simply take the HD out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grain said:

I buy these, they're great and run on my NAS 24/7.

I have 3 now (x4TB), 3 year warranty, 2,800bht delivered.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wd-my-passport-4tb-red-usb-30-hdd-25-wdbpkj0040brd-wesn-external-harddisk-harddrive-i3039611270-s11144268037.html

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

You have these

https://www.invadeit.co.th/category/external-hard-drives/

or

https://www.invadeit.co.th/category/portable-hard-drives/

The first ones are a bit more expensive but you have them in Bigger Sizes and some have them even have RAID (RAID-1 are 2 drives one drive dies you still have the second one (each drive holds it's own copy of the data))

This shop (InvadeIT) I think a lot of members on here will recommend. I most certainly do!!

Good info, many thanks.

1 hour ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I never bought at these shops and I do not use external 3.5'' HDs anymore.

If it's for backup and not permanently connected, I would buy a docking like the Sharkoon Sata QuickPort

https://en.sharkoon.com/product/1686/17652

Easy and fast swap. So you have the option to use one or more HDs of size and brand you like. As HDs I strongly recommend WD Red Plus (in- or extern).

We use them on our 24/7-servers and with the Sharkoon station for backups. Never haid a fail.

USB-HDs out of the box with their plastic covers will do too, but you don't know what HD is inside and if the box dosn't work anymore (which is more likely than a HD-defect) you can't simply take the HD out.

Thanks for this info. All good to know.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wd-my-passport-4tb-red-usb-30-hdd-25-wdbpkj0040brd-wesn-external-harddisk-harddrive-i3039611270-s11144268037.html

Thanks BritManToo, this seems ideal. I've already got several smaller HDDs that have my backups, but I want another large one to make a second backup just in case. One of these 4TB will do me for now, and if/when I fill I can order another.

• Like 1

I cant understand why people think bigger is better - there is a saying about eggs and baskets. All your data on one storage device (even if it's partitioned, it's one device). If it fails you lose ALL your data - so unless you have a reliable form of backup for it I personally think more but smaller SSD or HDD are better options. Failure of one device  maybe annoying but probably not catastrophic. Also backing up 8Tb of data could take some time unless you go for real time back up of files

• Like 2

While on this topic another question for ya all: I'll be copying files over from one ext HDD to another ext HDD via a Win 10 laptop. Say for example I have files on a 500GB drive that I want to copy to a new 4TB drive, can I make a system image using Win 10 and clone the drive contents over to the new drive? If not what is the fastest way to copy over from one drive to the other?

2 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

I cant understand why people think bigger is better - there is a saying about eggs and baskets. All your data on one storage device (even if it's partitioned, it's one device). If it fails you lose ALL your data - so unless you have a reliable form of backup for it I personally think more but smaller SSD or HDD are better options. Failure of one device  maybe annoying but probably not catastrophic. Also backing up 8Tb of data could take some time unless you go for real time back up of files

Good point. Having a 1 TB drive die and losing 1 TB of backup is better than having a 8 TB die and kissing 8 TBs bye bye.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Right but even in bigger servers the space for HDs is limited, so sometimes you have no other choice than to take the largest size available.

The more important is to buy good ones. That's why I recommend WD Red Plus (at least for 24/7 PCs)

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Like 2

Treat yourself to a nice Christmas present, you've been a good boy all year. No need to skimp on external storage. Just get the big boy, 28TB only 26,900 baht, that's less than 1,000 baht per TB!:

28 TB EXTERNAL HDD WD MY BOOK DUO (WDBFBE0280JBK)
(#0456584415) 52 Orders,Lastest order 21 Hours,Warranty 3 - y,Price THB 26,900

Edited by Banana7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Now this is a good example of the problem I'm having. I have a 1 TB WD My Passport holding my collection of music connected to the TV in the living room. I think I paid around 1,700 Baht for it a few years ago, so 2,800 Baht for a 4TB version now sounds reasonable. But then I check Lazada and see this:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/my-passport-6tb-usb-30-hdd-25-byvg0060bbk-wesn-internal-harddisk-harddrive-i3086029776-s11351900789.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.11.641a11deMk1V5t&search=1

Exactly the same as far as I can see, but 6 TB for 1,599 Baht. So what's the verdict, is this a great bargain, or is it a rip-off again?

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Now this is a good example of the problem I'm having. I have a 1 TB WD My Passport holding my collection of music connected to the TV in the living room. I think I paid around 1,700 Baht for it a few years ago, so 2,800 Baht for a 4TB version now sounds reasonable. But then I check Lazada and see this:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/my-passport-6tb-usb-30-hdd-25-byvg0060bbk-wesn-internal-harddisk-harddrive-i3086029776-s11351900789.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.11.641a11deMk1V5t&search=1

Exactly the same as far as I can see, but 6 TB for 1,599 Baht. So what's the verdict, is this a great bargain, or is it a rip-off again?

In whole honesty I don't think you have learned anything from this thread whatsoever!

1200 THB for 8TB or 6TB for 1600 THB you must be joking!!

Just compare that price to a trustworthy shop!!

https://www.invadeit.co.th/category/portable-hard-drives/western-digital-wd/

5TB for 3850 THB (that's the highest capacity (for WD) they have. You may find it cheaper but not approx 2000 THB cheaper!!

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Love this from one of the comments from someone who bought this (and he thought he bought a 4Tb one)

e9a53db3d797e5f34f53e42442cf36ff.jpg_120

• Like 1