8 TB solid-state external HDD - any good?

Guderian

11 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

He might store some fhd movies and tv shows. 8TB is not much then. My server in Germany hosts 110TB over all.

Exactly,  My Music collection (all stored in Flac) is around the 1Tb, and I have multiple copies!!

Jealous about your server, my one is only around the 14Tb.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Why store them when you can download almost anything these days.

Before I moved over here I digitalized ALL my Music and I have a lot. In total it amounts up to around the 1Tb.

Somethings you just can't download and somethings I like to keep for example all the photo's I made during our Holidays etc etc and I always shoot in the Highest quality possible in case we like to make a Poster out if it!!

Edit: 8Tb isn't that much nowadays!

When I bought my first NAS here in Thailand I bought 2x2TiB (2 drive NAS) which gives you (with Raid-1) only 2 TiB effective storage). After a couple of months these were full, so I went for 2x4TiB and now I am already at 2x6TiB (and lots of external drives for Backup). And NO I don't store in the Cloud (a NAS at my current home and a NAS as backup in our OLD house and externals is enough safeguard for me)

Edited by MJCM
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Unbelievable.  A friend of mine was the head of IT for a superstore chain in the USA like Walmart.  60,000 employees and is the 21st largest retailer in the USA with 350 super store locations. 

He told me the company operates on two 1tb hard drives.  1 TB runs all the stores, inventory , transactions, payroll etc.  The second 1TB drive is the nightly backup. 

Thats enough if you store documents and databanks. Our office server too has 2 or three tb including backup system.

And ok, I confess, I lied about my home server 

????

server.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

8 tb of data.  What are you possibly recording.  The entire list of printed materials since the beginning of time? 

I'm looking for something this size to back up my MP3 music collection, which is spread over a dozen various size HDDs. 8TB would probably do me but there wouldn't be much space left. And I'm backing up MP3s, most of my fellow music collectors have moved up to FLAC files....jeez, they'd be filling an 8TB drive every year. ????

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Unbelievable.  A friend of mine was the head of IT for a superstore chain in the USA like Walmart.  60,000 employees and is the 21st largest retailer in the USA with 350 super store locations. 

He told me the company operates on two 1tb hard drives.  1 TB runs all the stores, inventory , transactions, payroll etc.  The second 1TB drive is the nightly backup. 

I only hope he as additional backup and not only the 1Tb drive!!

When I worked for a Major Oil company a specialized company came everyday to pickup the daily Backup-tapes (just it was that long ago) and brought back older tapes to be overwritten!!

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Before I moved over here I digitalized ALL my Music and I have a lot. In total it amounts up to around the 1Tb.

Somethings you just can't download and somethings I like to keep for example all the photo's I made during our Holidays etc etc and I always shoot in the Highest quality possible in case we like to make a Poster out if it!!

Edit: 8Tb isn't that much nowadays!

When I bought my first NAS here in Thailand I bought 2x2TiB (2 drive NAS) which gives you (with Raid-1) only 2 TiB effective storage). After a couple of months these were full, so I went for 2x4TiB and now I am already at 2x6TiB (and lots of external drives for Backup). And NO I don't store in the Cloud (a NAS at my current home and a NAS as backup in our OLD house and externals is enough safeguard for me)

you are mad ????

you can't possibly need all those things on those drives, it's garbage. Are you a digital collector? it's a known condition

you will never have the time to listen, watch or use ALL of it in your lifetime, think about it. What's the point?

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, grain said:

I'm looking for something this size to back up my MP3 music collection, which is spread over a dozen various size HDDs. 8TB would probably do me but there wouldn't be much space left. And I'm backing up MP3s, most of my fellow music collectors have moved up to FLAC files....jeez, they'd be filling an 8TB drive every year. ????

If it's for backup, an external 3.5'' hdd connected via USB would be your best option

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

you are mad ????

you can't possibly need all those things on those drives, it's garbage. Are you a digital collector? it's a known condition

you will never have the time to listen, watch or use ALL of it in your lifetime, think about it. What's the point?

Thx, yes maybe I am, but

All the Music I have I listened to at least once

All the movies I have I watched at least once that

All the pictures I have i watched at least once

(yeah really) !!

But pictures of your Kids holidays etc etc you are willing to lose that?

But I do cull (but no music but only movies) and the keeping the movies started when I had bad Internet (not everyone can stream (don't forget that as well)

And most importantly don't rely on one copy only!! HDD/SSD can fail and they WILL!!

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

The point is to have the choice without beeing connected or using Netflix ????

Or not able to connect to Netflix / Torrents etc etc because of BAD internet! (That is how it started for me)

• Like 1

I remember many years ago that Kingston was one of the premier names in memory sticks. Places like TukCom in Pattaya were full of 128 GB and 256 GB versions of them, selling much cheaper than the genuine 56 GB articles, which was the largest size Kingston made back then. They were all Chinese fakes, of course, and either didn't work at all or else failed very quickly. But it's a long time since I bought any solid-state memory so I had no idea if the price has collapsed. It definitely sounds too good to be true, and there are no reviews (though on Lazada they're often little help, the Thais will give it five stars just for arriving in the post, lol). Anyway, thanks for sort of confirming my suspicions.

• Like 1