8 TB solid-state external HDD - any good?

Guderian

13 minutes ago, MJCM said:

@BritManToo

Did you ever had to make a Warranty claim with the WD store on Lazada?

If so how did that work out?

You dont need to go to the shop that originally sold you - WD at panthip deal with the warranty claims.

I have never been though the process, I thought I had an issue with a drive and contacted WD Thailand, they were really efficient and helpful. I hear that if you have a justified claim (not through dropping a drive or other mistreatment ) then they WD process is pretty good.

You will also find a synex sticker on WD drives, which is a pretty good guarantee of service and JIB are sometimes the cheapest seller on Lazada and their after sales service is great.

Edited by recom273

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

About 10 years back I had a WD drive fail out of warranty, it was inside a WD enclosure with 1 year warranty.

But the drive inside had a 3 year warranty, so I ripped it out and posted it to the address in BK (my expense).

A couple of weeks later a refurbished replacement arrived (their expense).

WD have a manufacturing date on the drive itself.

No requirement for any paperwork besides the date on the drive.

You can check online if your drive is in warranty, just from the serial number.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/warrantystatus

Thx.

I also  had a drive (in my NAS a Seagate Ironwolf) die on my, but I bought it from InvadeiT. It was easy as you wrote it. send it to them (my expenses) and they send one back (their expenses).

Nice that it works that easy!.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, grain said:

While on this topic another question for ya all: I'll be copying files over from one ext HDD to another ext HDD via a Win 10 laptop. Say for example I have files on a 500GB drive that I want to copy to a new 4TB drive, can I make a system image using Win 10 and clone the drive contents over to the new drive? If not what is the fastest way to copy over from one drive to the other?

I think cloning is the fastest, depending a bit on the size of the files your copying. If it contains many many small files a clone goes faster. But can still take a long time depending on drive size.

4 hours ago, MJCM said:

Thx.

I also  had a drive (in my NAS a Seagate Ironwolf) die on my, but I bought it from InvadeiT. It was easy as you wrote it. send it to them (my expenses) and they send one back (their expenses).

Nice that it works that easy!.

Same went for me with wd and also a samsung SSD NVME that failed the latter came from invade it not sure where the first one came from but went to a wd service center in pantip plaza and changed it there on the spot.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 4:49 PM, robblok said:

Who are you to judge others.. you seem to do that a lot.

I got a lot of storage space too and i can tell i watched it all. Still got a huge amount of space free.

Got a 4tb SSD NVME and a 2TB SSD NVME in my computer and a Nas with 5 6tb drives in it. 

I like it this way it works good. Besides I game too and nowadays VR games are huge (200gb it nothing) same goes for other games. 

Then you would say but you cant play them at the same time. 

Its a bit strange you judging others but then again its probably your hobby.

Do you realize you are judging someone too now ...? ????????????

• Haha 2

Audio producers would be aware that R2R are shortly to release to the scene the EastWest virtual instrument libraries and previously advised people they would need new 8TB drives. The Hollywood Orchestra Series Platinum/Diamond edition alone comes in at 709 GB. 

• Confused 1

On 12/22/2021 at 3:55 PM, Longwood50 said:

Unbelievable.  A friend of mine was the head of IT for a superstore chain in the USA like Walmart.  60,000 employees and is the 21st largest retailer in the USA with 350 super store locations. 

He told me the company operates on two 1tb hard drives.  1 TB runs all the stores, inventory , transactions, payroll etc.  The second 1TB drive is the nightly backup. 

This is a bunch of spreadsheets and word documents lol.

I used to work for a large data company. One of the largest medical records centers in US. Excluding redundancy the data was tightly managed on about 240gb 40 Sun servers in six data centers.

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2021 at 9:40 AM, BritManToo said:

I've found it best to leave them powered,

The ones I put in a box tend not to work when plugged back in.

I've never had a powered one fail.

Hmmm......................my experience with leaving them powered has been totally the opposite. 

1 x Toshiba HDD developed a short and burn't out.

1 x  Seagate HDD just competely failed right out of the blue.

I don't trust the whizzing discs any more, I'm only using solid state drives from now one.