Thailand demands ฿1.8bn from company for toxic waste discharge

Jonathan Fairfield

Super fund clean-up on Aisle one, oh wait that would be all of Thailand....yet I still enjoy living here, and whinge just to whinge, why because I can and it shows I am still alive, even with the 3rd eye growing in the back of my head.....

Edited by ThailandRyan

5 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

demanding 1.8 billion baht

And if they get it, at least half of that money (if not more) will disappear into the deep pockets of the fat cats, who already have plenty of money, instead of being used to repair the damage done by that toxic waste discharge. These people - the corrupt officials - have absolutely no conscience.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mikebell said:

Meanwhile carcinogenic PM2.5 continues to claim more lives per annum than Covid AND road kill.

Manure

The researchers focused on air pollution called PM2. 5 – responsible for an estimated 4.2 million premature deaths every year globally. This includes over a million deaths in China, over half a million in India, almost 200,000 in Europe, and over 50,000 in the United States.Mar 11, 2564 BE

Coronavirus Cases:

view by country

Deaths:

Recovered:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Each year, 1.35 million people are killed on roadways around the world. Every day, almost 3,700 people are killed globally in crashes involving cars, buses, motorcycles, bicycles, trucks, or pedestrians. More than half of those killed are pedestrians, motorcyclists, or cyclists.

https://www.cdc.gov/injury/features/global-road-safety/index.html

1 hour ago, seedy said:

Manure

The researchers focused on air pollution called PM2. 5 – responsible for an estimated 4.2 million premature deaths every year globally. This includes over a million deaths in China, over half a million in India, almost 200,000 in Europe, and over 50,000 in the United States.Mar 11, 2564 BE

Coronavirus Cases:

view by country

Deaths:

Recovered:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Each year, 1.35 million people are killed on roadways around the world. Every day, almost 3,700 people are killed globally in crashes involving cars, buses, motorcycles, bicycles, trucks, or pedestrians. More than half of those killed are pedestrians, motorcyclists, or cyclists.

https://www.cdc.gov/injury/features/global-road-safety/index.html

'According to the State of Global Air 2020 Report, around 32,000 premature deaths in Thailand, back in 2019, have been attributed to air pollution. The report cites the PM2.5 pollution particles as the main culprit' - it has not got any better since.

A figure of 20,000+ is generally accepted as a conservative figure on Thai roads.

20,000 (not counting victims dying later)  + 21,558 (Thai Gov figures = 41,558 minimum v 32,000 premature respiratory deaths.  I accept my exaggeration is out by 10,000.

Location Cases Deaths
image.png.0d5cccc8b623db12722cd905292bd18c.png
Thailand
2.21M

On 12/27/2021 at 1:53 AM, soalbundy said:

The average consumer who doesn't care.

That one are forced "to use" it, it is on everything, so there indeed it already goes wrong.

And as this plastic is cheap, it is easily used by manufacturers to let it looks nice, but doesnt help at all.

People were forced into plastic then and nowadays you wouldnt buy if it is not wrapped in ... plastic.

And yes there are other plastics, biological breaking down, but it cost more and profit goes down.

As manufacturer, you will not change as it cost you. Only if they are forced to do so.

We can do without a lot of, name it, BS in products. 

For instance: coffee filters are brown in proces, but they bleach it to make it nice white.

I dont give a rats ass if its white or brown, so now i only use brown filters.

Same with sugar, it is normally brown and it is refined to white. Just not necessarily to do.

Weird thing is brown sugar costs more, as tagged as pure nature. But it is still just ordinary sugar and skips a part in processing.

Petrol is now mixed with ethanol, so you have to tank more then usual. Only the CO2 emission is going down in first step, however you need to tank more and drive less on a liter. So question is, does it help?

No, only if your wallet is limited. It cost you more, so you think, i just leave car today idle.

Only rich people dont care and can go on. It is a class making thing. Only rich can drive whatever they like.

So the little man is just punished and therefor helps on less CO2 emissions, as he cant pay. 

In my country garbage is collected and also somehow recycled. But the costs of new plastic is most of the time cheaper then "old" plastic and there you go again. And the old plastic somehow is dumped into the oceans?

The amount is colossal, as any country will do. Islands of plastic, as big as Texas.

Now there are people trying to get it out again, what a waste of time and money, as it shouldnt have being dumped in first place in the oceans. But ok there it comes again, money first for some people.

Now there is way to make fuel out of CO2 again, so CO2 is getting more valuable for making profit.

And there we go again, the profit is way more important then any amount of CO2 in the sky.

I wonder how many inventions arent stalled on a book shelf, waiting until the time to make more profit and otherwise just stay there.

Once i red in a newspaper (thats old), front page, little section, energy could be generated by using the rotation of the earth. Never ever heard of it again and that was since 1983. 

Why you think we are at Omicron now in covid? Its weird we made a stap from delta to omicron, we skipped some Greek letters? Just simple money. We wait and wait and every time we have a new one, as covid mutates again and again. We give it time to do so, all because of ... money. Our global working sytem, nothing else.

11 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

That one are forced "to use" it, it is on everything, so there indeed it already goes wrong.

And as this plastic is cheap, it is easily used by manufacturers to let it looks nice, but doesnt help at all.

People were forced into plastic then and nowadays you wouldnt buy if it is not wrapped in ... plastic.

And yes there are other plastics, biological breaking down, but it cost more and profit goes down.

As manufacturer, you will not change as it cost you. Only if they are forced to do so.

We can do without a lot of, name it, BS in products. 

For instance: coffee filters are brown in proces, but they bleach it to make it nice white.

I dont give a rats ass if its white or brown, so now i only use brown filters.

Same with sugar, it is normally brown and it is refined to white. Just not necessarily to do.

Weird thing is brown sugar costs more, as tagged as pure nature. But it is still just ordinary sugar and skips a part in processing.

Petrol is now mixed with ethanol, so you have to tank more then usual. Only the CO2 emission is going down in first step, however you need to tank more and drive less on a liter. So question is, does it help?

No, only if your wallet is limited. It cost you more, so you think, i just leave car today idle.

Only rich people dont care and can go on. It is a class making thing. Only rich can drive whatever they like.

So the little man is just punished and therefor helps on less CO2 emissions, as he cant pay. 

In my country garbage is collected and also somehow recycled. But the costs of new plastic is most of the time cheaper then "old" plastic and there you go again. And the old plastic somehow is dumped into the oceans?

The amount is colossal, as any country will do. Islands of plastic, as big as Texas.

Now there are people trying to get it out again, what a waste of time and money, as it shouldnt have being dumped in first place in the oceans. But ok there it comes again, money first for some people.

Now there is way to make fuel out of CO2 again, so CO2 is getting more valuable for making profit.

And there we go again, the profit is way more important then any amount of CO2 in the sky.

I wonder how many inventions arent stalled on a book shelf, waiting until the time to make more profit and otherwise just stay there.

Once i red in a newspaper (thats old), front page, little section, energy could be generated by using the rotation of the earth. Never ever heard of it again and that was since 1983. 

Why you think we are at Omicron now in covid? Its weird we made a stap from delta to omicron, we skipped some Greek letters? Just simple money. We wait and wait and every time we have a new one, as covid mutates again and again. We give it time to do so, all because of ... money. Our global working sytem, nothing else.

Yes but nobody cares, if they did so earnestly politics would change (to some extent politics has changed which is why the green parties are now a force to be reckoned with) but there is as yet no real concern or anger. If things did change would the fickle public want to put up with the inconvenience, a weak lot at the best of times, quarantine is causing mental problems and suicides, Oh dear what a shame, never mind.