RTP: Shooting guns in the air to chase away bad karma is wrong - death and damage warning

webfact

24 minutes ago, webfact said:

Deputy police spokesman Pol Col Siriwat Deephor had a simple message for Thai people contemplating firing guns in the air to mark New Year,

He's trying to justify his salary/existence.  It's easier than saving lives on the road.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, smedly said:

strange fact but true 

Many are killed every year from people firing guns in the air, a falling bullet at terminal velocity (about 200mph) can be quite lethal if it hits you on the head 

I never thought about it, so I did a quick search and it seems you are right.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2020/07/02/the-science-of-why-firing-your-gun-up-into-the-air-can-be-lethal/?sh=684b87cff656

Just a few days ago, my Thai neighbour let off firecrackers to celebrate Christmas.

Since when is firecrackers associated with Christmas? Thai just like to ignite their firecrackers or guns during almost all festive seasons

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Saanim said:

What did he say was wrong? Just curious...

Sometimes stating the bleedin' obvious is wrong when the odds on a stray bullet hitting someone's head are astronomical whilst failing to notice the 20,000+ corpses that pile up annually on Thai roads.

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Sometimes stating the bleedin' obvious is wrong when the odds on a stray bullet hitting someone's head are astronomical whilst failing to notice the 20,000+ corpses that pile up annually on Thai roads.

Do not understand your logic. (you do not mind one more corpse to 20,000+?) 

I for myself do appreciate if the police will care about mad shooting around villages during New Year, Songraan, Loykatom, at the funerals, you do not?  Not only myself getting crazy, but also my dogs...

19 hours ago, Saanim said:

Do not understand your logic. (you do not mind one more corpse to 20,000+?) 

I for myself do appreciate if the police will care about mad shooting around villages during New Year, Songraan, Loykatom, at the funerals, you do not?  Not only myself getting crazy, but also my dogs...

I am complaining about a senior policeman warning people about something so obviously stupid as firing a bullet in the air;  the chances of injury/death is tiny.  I draw a parallel with the lack of action on the roads.  As you are a dog owner your intellect is obviously below average so get one of your neighbours to explain this logic.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

I am complaining about a senior policeman warning people about something so obviously stupid as firing a bullet in the air;  the chances of injury/death is tiny.  I draw a parallel with the lack of action on the roads.  As you are a dog owner your intellect is obviously below average so get one of your neighbours to explain this logic.

Perhaps you could explain your logic of dog owner's intellect. By your own definition, if you are right then you must also be a dog owner.  Touche!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Perhaps you could explain your logic of dog owner's intellect. By your own definition, if you are right then you must also be a dog owner.  Touche!

Anybody who chooses to have a muck-making, accident causing, disease-spreading, child-attacking, neighbour-annoying creature in a country over-run with packs of these animals is obviously lacking upstairs.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 1:48 PM, mikebell said:

Anybody who chooses to have a muck-making, accident causing, disease-spreading, child-attacking, neighbour-annoying creature in a country over-run with packs of these animals is obviously lacking upstairs.

So, just a random guess here..... But you are not a dog lover, then???

• Like 1