Baggage Searched And Valuables Stolen While Traveling By Bus

mark76

Wouldn't it had been better to have your money and cards on yourself than in your bags? I think that is just common sense not to keep valuables like that anywhere but on yourself...no matter where you are.

And that goes for EVERYTHING !! I travel with an expensive SLR camera and video camera when going on certain trips. I keep them all in a small addidas bag which is almost surgically attached to me at all times.

Sorry for your loss but this is definitely a case of live and learn, albeit by a mistake in this occasion.

As for suing the bus company - forget it. T.I.T :o

Most of the comments are worthless. I do have my normal card that I carry with me, however while traveling I took another one as well which I usually don't use. Actually I did not expect to be scammed like this. Baggage can be stolen completely on a bus station but scanning during the bus journey is something I did not expect.

The thieves must have scanned through the baggage which was in the baggage compartment of the bus. They had plenty of time on a long journey. I assume they steal other things as well, maybe copying passports and credit card numbers and that is what they primarily do.

If all the ppl here tell of so much scam with bus companies, then why is it happening?

The card was used enroute while I was sitting in the bus, so whether the thieve can be found, which is of course unrealistic, it can be held against the bus company. They should explain how a transaction can be made where and when it was done. I hope there were cameras at the ATM, result is still pending.

If there are more victims of the company or employees of the company have already been convicted or under suspicion it can be possible to hold the company responsible, at least under western countries standards.

If there are more victims of the company or employees of the company have already been convicted or under suspicion it can be possible to hold the company responsible, at least under western countries standards.

I do not know how long you have been in Thailand mark, but in here there are not western coutries standards as far as law enforcement is concern.

You have to accept responsibility by the fact that it was not right to leave the pin next to the card. This is totally unwise and warned by the western banks (meaning that you are liable).

If you know about how thai legal system works, then you will understand that you will be asked lots of money and you will get nothing back. You may think that this is a patronizing advise, but I can assure that it is not and that this is the most likely scenario. Just accept the lost and the lesson. I also hate to learn lessons, but it happens all the times. Good luck in the future and hope you get some compensation with a good time in this country.

You havent been in Thailand very long have you :o

(sorry I know this wont seem very helpfull to you but after enough of these kind of posts you might see sense and realise your not in your own country any more, things work different here, you wont have a chance with the bus company either.)

The thieves must have scanned through the baggage which was in the baggage compartment of the bus. They had plenty of time on a long journey. I assume they steal other things as well, maybe copying passports and credit card numbers and that is what they primarily do.

Who would place such items (passports & credit cards) in the baggage compartment? NO, NO, NO-ONE.

Good luck with your complaints and law suits. I am a person who believes you can change the world by your actions.

But you must understand that in Thailand these (workers) thieves in the bus are just lackeys, bus company, the owners cousin The big police man, his uncle a judge and all his ex-mp friends. Higher you go up the chain the bigger criminals you will be facing. Hope none of these involved own guns. :o:D :D