Above ground water storage tank - Is there a system/product that helps keep the inside of the tank clean.

Longwood50

This is not a huge problem but I have as many do an above ground water storage tank for those times that the municipal water supply runs out.  About every 6 to 9 months it is required to clean the inside of the tank.  This is not a very fun or easy job.  Are there systems or products that others use to maintain their tank and keep the inside of the tank clean. 

45 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Are there systems or products that others use to maintain their tank and keep the inside of the tank clean. 

An occasional cup or 2 of chlorine bleach and water tanks where the top easily allows even the most dimensionally challenged easy access 

What type of tank are you using?  The main thing is to keep sun out (not use cheap plastic tanks) to prevent fungus growth.  If you use tank and pump from the bottom there should not be much residue but if just long term storage where everything settles down maybe not so great.  But really not much you can do about dirt other than removing it (using every day so stays in water) or giving it a cleaning when you feel the need.  On SS tanks this is normally easy with a drain hole in center of bottom.  Expect for tanks that sit on ground best to pay someone to do.   

5 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Where can you even find chlorine bleach?  You sure can't find it in any of the supermarkets or hardware stores. 

It's called Haiter and it's even sold at 7/11!!

But Buy the Blue one and not the pink one as it has a scent!!

ShotType1_540x540.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Where can you even find chlorine bleach?  You sure can't find it in any of the supermarkets or hardware stores. 

Every store shelf in Thailand - Haiter is name as above.  It is the same type bleach as Clorox.  It is listed as Sodium Hypochlorite.  Expect more powerful chlorine would be available from any pool supply store.  

Sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) is a solution made from reacting chlorine with a sodium hydroxide solution

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Every store shelf in Thailand - Haiter is name as above. 

I have seen Haier but did not realize it was a chlorine bleach  My GF uses that brand but it sure does not smell like chlorine.  I thought perhaps you had to get at a pool supply store.  Apparently chlorine bleach can be used to make some form of chemical bomb.  I thought that bleach might be the reason you don't see things like nitrate fertilizer's here the way you do in the USA. 

15 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

My GF uses that brand but it sure does not smell like chlorine.

Does she by any chance uses the Pink bottle one? That has a different scent as stated in my post!

Edited by MJCM

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yea, never cleaned mine in 8 yrs.  Add little beach every now & then.

101_4411.JPG

same here

here are ours (all 21 off them (22 of you count the Dos tank but that one is still empty)

shed.JPG

Edited by MJCM

21 minutes ago, MJCM said:

same here

here are ours (all 21 off them (22 of you count the Dos tank but that one is still empty)

shed.JPG

Actually had 3 more, 2 in ground and 1 on roof for gravity flow, in case of power outage.

Thought mine were over kill, though handy when filling the pool.  Do you save rainwater for the dry season ?

Water was a problem at that house, new house and I want need any extra tank. 3 ttl maybe.  Now just the 1 planned, as minimal yard.  Other house sat on 2 rai.

19 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Thought mine were over kill, though handy when filling the pool.  Do you save rainwater for the dry season ?

Yep. We don't have mains water, and the water from the lake in front of our house has a fragrance of Cow s...t . ???? (So that is garden only (if it doesn't run dry which it does, because neighbors are using it to feed their Rice Fields!!).)

We also have a well, but I never liked the filtration system that comes with it, so we only use rainwater to feed the house (NOT drinking water we buy that) for washing, shower etc. And now coming up to 2 years and not an issue yet!

We started off with 15 (they are each 2500 liters) but increased to 21 just this year, because we were running out last year!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Thanks for reminding me - haven't done it in years.

Was just reminded today, by my landlord, that the "City water supply" has chlorine added to it already, which probably explains why the tank looks pretty clean inside - it's 90% buried in the back garden, so easy to take the lid off and have a look.

The water from it doesn't smell of chlorine, but the water from a standpipe just before the tank has a slight chlorine smell. I remember a few years ago the water company had a big problem and boosted the chlorine level considerably - then it really stank.

12 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Have you thought of subcontracting out your excess to the Provincial Waterworks Authority? 

No Mains water here!!!

In our OLD house we had mains water, but after we put in the White Filters (the 20" ones) and after a matter of minutes those Filters went Dark Brown. So we stopped using Mains Water and started putting up tanks for collecting rain water, first those concrete ones but after lots of troubles with leaks etc etc we went with Tanks.

All the villagers had troubles with their Washing Machine, Shower heads etc etc but we didn't. First they said we were stupid that we didn't use the Mains Water, but now more and more people are NOW putting up tanks and collecting rain water.!

If I can still find that picture of that Filter I will put it up. But it went from PURE white to Darkish Brown in only a Matter of Minutes!

Edit: Found the Picture. And please note this Filter was white a couple of minutes before

filter.jpg

Edited by MJCM
Added Picture