Thai both certificate passport for daughter in UK

rushdentillidie

Hi,

We have recently welcomed our firth child. My wife is a dual national UK/Thai and we are currently based in the UK. But she wishes to resignation our daughter for Thai citizenship and passport.

Therefore I am looking for some advice on the best way to proceed with this, given that we live in Yorkshire. Looking at the Thai embassy websites, it appears that we would have to register the birth with them first before we can apply for a passport and the process can take up to 6-8 weeks. Given the current covid situation we don’t fancy having to travel to London to do this, and wonder if it can be done remotely or via the consulate in Hull.

Or is it possible to travel to Thailand with her UK passport (application in process) and then complete all the Thai resignation requirements (birth certificate/Passport) once we arrive in Thailand.

We have contacted the Thai embassy a number of times via the phone but never been able to get through, and are awaiting a reply to emails sent.

Any thoughts or experience in the above would be welcomed?

I don't see anyway round the physical appointment, I hope you get a positive email reply maybe about the birth Cert, but the Passport I'm pretty sure will remain to be a physical appointment. 

If you were to try to use the British Birth Cert (long version with both parents names etc..) in Thailand at the very least you would need it legalized in the UK (which you can do by post at the moment) https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/81905-legalisation?menu=5d6636ce15e39c3bd0007344 But then perhaps everything still needing stamped up with a translation, at the MFA at Chaeng Wattana, before use at a local office. Not sure that would work,.

But the passport issuance/renewal in the local office for the kids does seem easy enough, but still a Mum Dad and Kid physical appointment. 

I think best just going as a British kid, on the British Passport this time perhaps, and do the Thai BC and Passport later when back, which gives you the Number, then do the ID card at the local office in Thailand during some future trip. 

It is possible to renew the ID in the UK, but not the initial issue and cannot amend it. (e.g. my Daughter is still using Maiden name as She would have to change the Thai passport first, before changing the British one. Also, later, would have to amend the ID card in Thailand. )  Anyway glad we got her Thai Passport renewed Jan 20 just before everything became complicated! 

Good luck!????

Info for registering you child's birth to get a Thai birth certificate is here. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/82037-birth-death-registration?menu=5d6636ce15e39c3bd0007342

The birth certificate can only be applied for at the embassy in London. It is not possible to do it here in Thailand.

The honorary consulate in Hull cannot do a birth registration and as far as I know they re now closed.

I have moved this topic to the Family and Children forum.

• Like 1