Thaksin hit by storm that could sink Thailand’s main opposition party

webfact

39 minutes ago, robblok said:

I would prefer it if you don't compare the cases that Thaksin has been rightfully been found guilty of with the made up charges of move forward. To even put them in the same sentence is an insult to move forward.

So please don't compare a politician that is corrupt and convicted for it with some made up charges for someone who could really bring change.

I am not saying the guy is as corrupt as Thaksin, I am saying that both have been convicted for the same reason: because they dared to challenge the domination of the amart.

Even if Thaksin had not been corrupt, he would have been convicted in the same way as the new guy. If Thaksin had not challenged the domination of the amart while being corrupt, he would not have been convicted. Just as Prayut, Prawit, Suthep and the others will never be convicted, the people involved in the Rolls Royce corruption case will never be convicted, the people involved in the fake bomb detector will never be convicted, etc....

(Additionally SOME of the charges against Thaksin and Yingluck have been made up, but that's not the main point)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The best, most popular  and effective  leader Thailand  has had.

The good people of the three southern border provinces might disagree on that. It was Thaksin who oversaw the Tak Bai Massacre and the subsequent insurgency.

34 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Simple minded uneducated masses are voting - and not only in Thailand...

It really is a vexing problem isn't it - so many "simple minded uneducated" people failing to see that you know what is best for them?

Nod along approvingly with disqualifying parties, trumped up charges against political opponents, all in the cause of benefitting the country of course.

Do tell us, where do you draw the line though - vocal critics disappearing and then being found in the Mekong with a belly full of concrete perhaps?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

It really is a vexing problem isn't it - so many "simple minded uneducated" people failing to see that you know what is best for them?

Nod along approvingly with disqualifying parties, trumped up charges against political opponents, all in the cause of benefitting the country of course.

Do tell us, where do you draw the line though - vocal critics disappearing and then being found in the Mekong with a belly full of concrete perhaps?

Won't find much of the romantic ideals of the secret disappearance activities these days. 

A somewhat siwilai paradigm has taken it's place. 

Forced or voluntary exile is more to their fashion.

1 hour ago, MarcelV said:

The good people of the three southern border provinces might disagree on that. It was Thaksin who oversaw the Tak Bai Massacre and the subsequent insurgency.

And it was the Army that perpetrated Tak Bai. 

Thaksin just happened to be PM at the time. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

And it was the Army that perpetrated Tak Bai. 

Thaksin just happened to be PM at the time. 

But he was responsible for wanting to Thai-ify the Malay muslims in the south and as the commander-in-chief he could have prevented the atrocities committed by his men or at least punish them.

Apologies to the civilians have still not been made and the resentment and hate of the Thai government is huge among the youth here.

1 hour ago, candide said:

I am not saying the guy is as corrupt as Thaksin, I am saying that both have been convicted for the same reason: because they dared to challenge the domination of the amart.

Even if Thaksin had not been corrupt, he would have been convicted in the same way as the new guy. If Thaksin had not challenged the domination of the amart while being corrupt, he would not have been convicted. Just as Prayut, Prawit, Suthep and the others will never be convicted, the people involved in the Rolls Royce corruption case will never be convicted, the people involved in the fake bomb detector will never be convicted, etc....

(Additionally SOME of the charges against Thaksin and Yingluck have been made up, but that's not the main point)

I agree with what you were saying HOWEVER Thaksin is a corrupt crook. 

Just don't equate or even mention him with future foreward.  But yes your totally right this would happen even if Thaksin was not corrupt I agree with it. Just does not excuse what he did. 

1 hour ago, MarcelV said:

But he was responsible for wanting to Thai-ify the Malay muslims in the south and as the commander-in-chief he could have prevented the atrocities committed by his men or at least punish them.

Apologies to the civilians have still not been made and the resentment and hate of the Thai government is huge among the youth here.

I think you got it wrong it was the old guard that were trying to Thai-ify the Malay majority in the South. 

Do you honestly believe he was 'commander-in-chief' of the Thai armed forces? Maybe in name only.

You are still not getting it that the Thai military is above the law here.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I think you got it wrong it was the old guard that were trying to Thai-ify the Malay majority in the South. 

Do you honestly believe he was 'commander-in-chief' of the Thai armed forces? Maybe in name only.

You are still not getting it that the Thai military is above the law here.

Still, based on all that I read Thaksin did nothing to appease the people in the south, let alone the Malay Muslims.

He bears at least some responsibility for letting the situation get out of hand. Now we're still stuck with the same problem, after all these years.

• Like 2