Construction supply costs?

carrottopper

My guess is that materials are up maybe 10% since 2019.  But that seems a strange question.  A good quote by an architect or experienced builder should have a list of materials and approximate cost.  Costs are not likely to go down soon so why does it matter if they have gone up?

3 hours ago, carrottopper said:

Anyone have personal experience with construction supply cost?

Well they go up and down some suppliers are more expensive than others. 

Once you have the quantities taken off from drawing plans of what you need you can then determine an approximate material cost. 

Global House is where you can get prices for calculus.

Query seems a bit irrelevant, unless you had a old quoted contract of a year of so ago.  What the price is now, and when you build may change also.  Depends where you are going to build, and cost of labor, which apparently fluctuates greatly, as some say on another thread.  Labor economy, may offset any material increase, if some are to be believed.

Are you even in Thailand or have a lot to build on ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Query seems a bit irrelevant, unless you had a old quoted contract of a year of so ago.  What the price is now, and when you build may change also.  Depends where you are going to build, and cost of labor, which apparently fluctuates greatly, as some say on another thread.  Labor economy, may offset any material increase, if some are to be believed.

Are you even in Thailand or have a lot to build on ?

Thanks for the replies. Yes I'm back in Thailand after  2 years. Only here for 3 months and hoping to get our last house built. Our local village contractor keeps telling me that the price of materials has doubled in the last 18months. Needless to say I'm a bit skeptical.

1636241420110.jpg

• Like 1

It is almost always best if you pay for materials versus the builder.  Even if you don't know, try to be discerning about quality versus price.  Global is usually a good bet.

There could be some things that have doubled in that time frame but, again, my guess is overall maybe 10%.

• Like 1

I have been buying construction materials for over 7 years in Thailand and I can say with confidence that you can save 20 plus percent by not simply buy from the one supplier . It takes extra time to do it but it pays off .

Often big suppliers will have a special price on say steel but expensive on paint for example . So you buy the steel and shop else where for the paint . 

• Thanks 1

^That's true. Sometimes you can see big differences in price of large stores as Global House and Thai Watsadu even at a common steel material.  

But for a house you want to finish in 3 months it's more decisive the workmanship price (lump sum - mau - or Baht per hour?) than the steel price. Or do you build a steel house? 

The best you buy all material by yourself, then ask for price of workmanship broken into portions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carrottopper said:

Thanks for the replies. Yes I'm back in Thailand after  2 years. Only here for 3 months and hoping to get our last house built. Our local village contractor keeps telling me that the price of materials has doubled in the last 18months. Needless to say I'm a bit skeptical.

Yes, I'd be sceptical also.  Doubled is a bit much.  2011 we built a house, 120m² for ฿1.7m  (real walled living space)

2 story, sort of, without the walls, but required the extra steel & concrete, in case fully modified / adding walls & ceiling.

Roof alone was 300k, and front glass 100k, & western kitchen.

This year building 120m², single, less 'perks' and only ฿1m, using same materials, insulated block/rolled steel roof.  The wife is a pitbull when negotiating.

With quality materials, I'd start at ฿10k per m² & up, depending on 'perks'.  Especially a 'village builder', if reading into that correctly.

Even the Land Office has a 10-12k window (I think) for assessment.  Those willing to pay more, well, UP2them.

No photo description available.

Edited by KhunLA