The Secret of Thai Turn Signals

Kinnock

17 minutes ago, digbeth said:

their logic is that the guy in the lane they intend to move to would close the gap the moment he sees indicator flashing, thus using the indicator is a disadvantage and only for pussies 

Ah yes, that makes sense of it now.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Firstly, Thais are not a race.

Secondly, the R word is thrown around carelessly instead of using the correct word, "bigoted".

Fair enough. It's bigoted nonesense based on race based generalisation made by whites against yellow or brown skinned people. The white bigots who write at length this way about Thais have a sense  of racial and cultural superiority.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Oh God, please save me, is 2022  going to be the year of Thai lovers dominating this forum...???      Most  know that  bad drivers exist world wide,  even in ones own country, surprisingly.  However,  this forum  and (most)  of the people who contribute to it, live, or at least  exist, here. Therefor they talk about   local matters, on a local forum ,  how      one can construe that as racist, or bigoted,?,when it well may be the nut behind the loose wheel may even be one of those "dirty" farang,, if you want to talk about Saudi, Kenya,   USA ,  Uk,  start    your own thread., in       each of those countries forums..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, it is what it is said:

hear hear

whilst this forum is about thailand many people seem to think problems and behaviors they experience here only exist here and not, as is often the case, in equal measure or more frequently in other/most countries around the world.

... but it's OK for you, in another thread to say "but they can't see the wood for the trees," - refering to Thai people, or for TheHammer2021 to make jokes about Chinese food?  If you're going to be Woke, at least try to be consistent.

And does anyone with any real experience of driving here think that a generalisation about use of indicators is not a valid observation?

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I see the woke lot have entered this thread, offended on behalf of others.

It's quite clear to anyone normal that often Thais won't indicate, i spot it by them slowing down in front of you which is pretty annoying

Such behaviour happens all over the world. It is not unique to Thailand. To be aware of false generalisations is not 'woke'  If people  do not want their false observations criticized or their  bigotry noted then they should not bother writing them down on a public forum and thus subject scrutiny and comment.  I have driven   travelled, worked and lived in nearly 60 countries so when patently unsophisticated  inexperienced people make ignorant comments it's difficult  not to  try and add balance.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

they are not false generalisations you just see everything here through rose tinted sunglasses. The no indication thing is very noticeable probably due to drivers not taking driving lessons and a rubbish test

They are not just  false but cowardly exclusively attacking Thais on an English  language forum where Thai  people can't respond. Go an voice your opinions about Thais on a Thai forum and see what response you get!  lol

I drove in Africa, Libya  Saudi  and European capital  cities such as Rome  Paris and London. Exactly  the same driving behavior can be seen in other places. Being a decent fair minded person and calling  BS on bigotry is not rose tinted spectacles..Its just basic decency. If you feel so uncomfortable  here then leave but it's not your duty to try and make everybody else as unhappy and inadequate  as you  feel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

Oh God, please save me, is 2022  going to be the year of Thai lovers dominating this forum...???      Most  know that  bad drivers exist world wide,  even in ones own country, surprisingly.  However,  this forum  and (most)  of the people who contribute to it, live, or at least  exist, here. Therefor they talk about   local matters, on a local forum ,  how      one can construe that as racist, or bigoted,?,when it well may be the nut behind the loose wheel may even be one of those "dirty" farang,, if you want to talk about Saudi, Kenya,   USA ,  Uk,  start    your own thread., in       each of those countries forums..

So if you don't dislike and look down on the entire race - you are a "Thai lover". You do realize this is textbook bigotry right?

How about taking each individual on planet earth as you find them - Thais included.

I don't blanket like or dislike any group of individuals. 

• Like 2

I went for a short drive today. I had to stop at approximately 4-5 T junctions  in the journey. At everyone I stopped at I waited for a motorcycle to go past. Everyone of them turned at the junctions and everyone of them failed to indicate.

19 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Exactly  the same driving behavior can be seen in other places

I'm the same as you 'Hammer'. Been to many places in the world but have never been to a place that gets my hackles up more than Thai drivers. 

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 2

I think it's fair enough to identify that in general driving standards in Thailand are poorer than the UK or other countries we may compare them to. Meanwhile the standards in Thailand are exceptional compared to other areas I’ve been to.. 

Thats not racism, its a simple observation. 

Another observation is that drivers in Thailand are far more skilled at identifying ‘exactly’ where their car is and can push into gaps and cut into another lane with cm precision.

Another observation is the the general patience of drivers in Thailand where people execute outrageous manoeuvres from queue jumping to lane blocking without the obscenities and rage we’d see in the west. 

It *(driving) is definitely a different beast in Thailand compared to many of our nations - there are pro’s and cons...  to summarise those pros and cons... there’s a lot less general aggression on the roads, but a lot more silly stuff.... 

39 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Go an voice your opinions about Thais on a Thai forum and see what response you get!  lol

An interesting point.... 

The vast majority of criticism I read on this forum also exists on forums such as PanTip populated by Thai’s.... 

I see far more similarity in the comments than differences.

Of course, there are also plenty of utter idiots who push the limits with racists slurs...  however, the general gist that driving standards here in Thailand are poorer than many of the places we grew up is not far off the mark.

Thai’s are also highly critical of the general standards of road use in Thailand, just as we (foreigners) are highly critical of the numbers foreigners we see breaking the regulations in Thailand, along with anyone else we see breaking the same regulations. 

8 hours ago, Kinnock said:

They straddle the white line about half a km before the sudden lane change, they drift over 500 m before the U turn across two lanes,

Actually the line straddle can be done up to 2 to 3 kilometers before the turn. 
Then let's not talk about merging from the left:  Roll onto the highway at walking speed, after 1 km straddle the white curb lane line and drive another 1 kilometer reaching a speed of perhaps 50 kph, and then as soon as someone approaches to pass, pull the vehicle in front of the approaching vehicle quickly,  pushing the approaching vehicle into the cars in the middle lane and far lanes. 
After the wreck in the middle and outside lanes, keep driving like nothing ever happened.

Edited by connda
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, connda said:

Actually the line straddle can be done up to 2 to 3 kilometers before the turn. 
Then let's not talk about merging from the left:  Roll onto the highway at walking speed, after 1 km straddle the white curb lane line and drive another 1 kilometer reaching a speed of perhaps 50 kph, and then as soon as someone approaches to past, pull the vehicle in front of the approaching vehicle pushing the vehicle into the cars in the middle lane. 
After the wreak in the middle and outside lanes, keep driving like nothing ever happened.

Beaten up old pick-up truck hugging the right side of the the right most lane for 2km before a U-Turn, anyone ?? ????

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

there’s a lot less general aggression on the roads

That is complete BS.

Thailand has a particularly nasty problem when it comes to road rage with reports in the last few years of people being shot dead on the road when incidents turned violent because of perceived slights or loss of face.Aug 25, 2562 

Actually "No."  They simply don't care if you hit them for not yielding the right-of-way because they understand that, 1) you'd rather your own car not be damaged, and 2) they don't have any insurance and even if a court claims against them for damages they'll never pay.  So?  They'll push you off the road before yielding. 

There was an article in the Bangkok Post a number of years back with highlighted that the mentality behind being insured resulted in the high accident rates...  specifically most insurance in Thailand (at the time) had no excess... so if people scratched or bumped their car it was 'free to fix’... or that was the mentality that insurance created. 

Whether thats true or not I don’t know. 

I also suspect another ‘passive aggressive’ facet where people have to be subservient to Kraeng Jai for much of their lives so the absence of ‘face to face’ contact creates a situation whereby little ‘frustrations’ can surface and the ‘d!<k fights’ surface when edging, pushing, forcing ones way into traffic....  I suspect there is something to this.

Defensive driving is the only rational choice as Thai drivers have zero rational thinking or safety consciousness. 

Assertive driving seems to also work... to some extent at least....   I’d never get anywhere without being a little pushy. 

They literally don't care. 

The same here....   at times I just have to edge out with the thought...  if they don’t stop, they’ll hit me... its sometimes the only way to get anywhere - thats a facet of driving in many busy areas. 

Just look at motorcyclists driving right onto the main road from a side road and never even glancing to see if anything is coming.

Thats always astonished me... I see it daily - they must be looking, trusting their peripheral vision, however, the amount of times I see a motorcycle pulling out without looking astonishes me. 

And Thai fatalities?  80% motorcyclists.  Surprise surprise.
This country is a horrid place to drive.

The motorcycle fatality rate has a lot to do with utter carelessness of the driver, no helmets, booze, poorly lit roads etc....  

I drive and ride a motorcycle here....     Not riding at night cuts out a huge amount of risk 

• Like 1

Just now, IvorBiggun2 said:
31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

there’s a lot less general aggression on the roads

That is complete BS.

Thailand has a particularly nasty problem when it comes to road rage with reports in the last few years of people being shot dead on the road when incidents turned violent because of perceived slights or loss of face.Aug 25, 2562 

Not in my opinion....  

I’ve been driving here for over 20 years.... 

Road rage happens in Thailand when two people kick off at each other.... its easy to avoid by not getting angry. 

Do something wrong, cut someone up etc... they get angry you don’t respond and thats the end of it...

I see so many situations here that would lead to people getting angry, getting out of their cars and approaching each other in the UK... here (in Thailand), there is a lot more tolerance for the flookwittery that unfolds around us. 

Perhaps that tolerance is because of the extreme consequences of a ‘face off’ where once ’that line’ is crossed tempers flare and someone gets stabbed or shot....  it's easy to avoid those situations. 

Conversely... in the UK, make a mistake, do something wrong, cut someone up etc and they are furious, brake checking you, hitting their horn, puling up next to you, screaming at you etc...  Everyone is judgemental against everyone else’s driving and feels the need to ‘express their disapproval’... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The white bigots who write at length this way about Thais have a sense  of racial and cultural superiority.

Well, if you are in Thailand now, look around you, most things you are going to see have been invented by white people. This is probably what is misleading some of us.

6 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Well, if you are in Thailand now, look around you, most things you are going to see have been invented by white people. This is probably what is misleading some of us.

So that makes white people superior?