The Secret of Thai Turn Signals

Kinnock

55 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

That is complete BS.

You have to define aggression.

People don't get angry driving here as much as the UK - where they pop a vein if you go 20cm over a white line.

Here - people are cheeky - they nudge their way in to traffic (much like London) but they don't get angry if you get the better of them. This is a cultural thing - anger means loss of face.

In terms of driving style - there are some idiots on the road - same as everywhere but the lack of enforcement keeps them on the road, so what we see ad endemic bad driving is really what we'd see anywhere with the same level of enforcement

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Wondering whether you have ever driven in another country, and perhaps also in your own?  

Just my view .... but I've driven cars and ridden motorcycles in India - which is much more challenging than Thailand, but also in US and throughout Europe, where it's much simpler, and I believe, safer.  

I like Thailand and Thai people (except maybe some uniform wearers), but nobody could seriously claim that thrre's not a serious issue with driving standards here.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Saanim said:

If you want to get hundreds responses and thousand clicks within an hour time place an OP with anything negative about Thailand. 

The same applies to foreigners living in any country. In the UK.

A SURVEY this week of expats living in Britain found that although 69 per cent of them liked the country there were some significant drawbacks: the food, the weather and a heavy drinking culture. 

Nowhere is perfect. 

24 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Horn is rarely used here unlike the west

I recall the first time I needed to use a horn here. I got cut up at a traffic light so I sounded my horn only for my wife tell me not to do that. I asked 'why' and she said 'Thai people don't like it and they will shoot you'. 16 years of sounding my horn and still haven't been shot at to date.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Apparently the English translation of a long beep is "Your Mother is a 20 THB dockside whore and your sister is a buy one get one free deal, and by the way, you have a tiny todger".

That sounds like a fair translation.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
1 hour ago, digbeth said:

Horn is rarely used here unlike the west

I recall the first time I needed to use a horn here. I got cut up at a traffic light so I sounded my horn only for my wife tell me not to do that. I asked 'why' and she said 'Thai people don't like it and they will shoot you'. 16 years of sounding my horn and still haven't been shot at to date.

Just a matter of time...   If you are regularly ‘blasting’ your horn at other drivers, at some point you will trigger an entitled ayhole who will escalate the situation.... 

Its happened to me a couple of times....    traffic rolling at about 50kmh... lorries in the left lane, cars (mostly in the right lane) - a 2 lane road (in each direction)....   an idiot accelerates up the inside between two lorries forces me to brake hard as he swerves in front of me cutting me up (extremely close to an impact)... I hit the horn. 

The thin skinned idiot who’d swerved in front stops....  I stop, all traffic behind me is forced to stop. I move to the left lane, he moves to the left lane.. .he’s going about 5 kmh and blocking 2 lanes of traffic... he then speeds off, I pick up pace to normal driving speed and gently catch him (as he’s hit the back of other 50kmh traffic), I’m behind him, he slams the brakes on again and stops..... 

He plays this game for about 10 mins... (I have my wife and son in the car)....  I start entertaining all the potential possibilities... one of those involves running him over if he gets out with a weapon !!!  Fortunately he gives up. 

In short - lesson learned... the idiots who drive like utter and total idiots are also very thin skinned entitled little pri<ks who can make life very dangerous for us...  while they are difficult to ignore its better to do so. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There was an article in the Bangkok Post a number of years back with highlighted that the mentality behind being insured resulted in the high accident rates...  specifically most insurance in Thailand (at the time) had no excess... so if people scratched or bumped their car it was 'free to fix’... or that was the mentality that insurance created. 

Most Thais understand that if they file a claim for a scratch, then their insurance sky-rockets.  People with insurance aren't the problem.

On 1/15/2022 at 3:47 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

The white bigots who write at length this way about Thais have a sense  of racial and cultural superiority.

Let's just go full racist in this forum.  Congratulations. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2022 at 12:41 PM, digbeth said:

Horn is rarely used here unlike the west, but I doubt due to politeness, the uses of horn seem taboo and seem to escalate most road rage onto internet stardom with clips featured on facebook groups like 'I drive like an A*hole' thai equivalent or even national news, use of horn seems to attract more rage, unlike in the west where horns and verbal exchange of expletive is enough to relieve anger and both parties can move on.

you can drive like a maniac, swerving all over the place but the moment the horn is invoked, you stop the car, open the door and proceed to next phase in physical confrontation 

Lolol

This is so true.

On 1/15/2022 at 7:51 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

They are not just  false but cowardly exclusively attacking Thais on an English  language forum where Thai  people can't respond. Go an voice your opinions about Thais on a Thai forum and see what response you get!  lol

I drove in Africa, Libya  Saudi  and European capital  cities such as Rome  Paris and London. Exactly  the same driving behavior can be seen in other places. Being a decent fair minded person and calling  BS on bigotry is not rose tinted spectacles..Its just basic decency. If you feel so uncomfortable  here then leave but it's not your duty to try and make everybody else as unhappy and inadequate  as you  feel.

My Thai inlaws are amongst the better drivers I observe in Thailand.  However, they have been known to quietly curse many Thai (presumably) drivers.  I guess they're just not woke!

On 1/16/2022 at 1:12 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

Maybe you need a bigger horn?

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2022 at 12:23 PM, Kinnock said:

about half a km before the sudden lane change

Sometimes 7 or 8 kilometers before they eventually take the plunge.

You need to be patient otherwise you'll go mad driving here.

Nice post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1