Foreigner Credit Card Denials

If you read Social Media, it sounds like foreigners in Thailand are experiencing Foreign Credit Card denials at many venues.  Something is happening, and needs to get investigated.  This is a major story.

• Confused 4
  • Haha 2

Just need to make sure your bank knows that your in Thailand.  My GF/Wife uses an Amex card, and a Chase Visa card with know issues, and when I am home in Bangkok I use those as well as my Mastercard Black with no issues.  Every 3 months or so I check in with my banks and let them know we are still here and they denote the account as such.  For my own protection I have 2 step verification set up.  Never had an issue where we were denied.

• Like 1

I just don't use my home country credit card here.  1 to 3% foreigner transaction fee right off the top.  Then fraud. 

I live here.  If I need something I pay cash, order COD, and make a bank transfer.  The only use my credit card sees in purchases in the US.  Where I'm protected by the Fair Credit Billing Act. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

They take only Citi Bank (Thai) cards.

My cards have no transaction fees and I have used my Amex card at Makro with no.problems in the past. However bank transfer from Kbank works as well.

Edited by ThailandRyan

Using a foreign credit card in Thailand or online with Thai businesses that use Thai Banks can be a problem. For instance my US Bank issued Visa was rejected 7 times on the E-Visa website.  The MFA uses Kasikorn Bank to accept payments for E-Visa’s.  However when I input my credit number, name, expiration date and security code into the payment portal their is no input block for my billing address.  This results in my what bank said is a “billing address mix match” and Visa’s security protocols will reject the transaction.  The bank said this security protocol cannot be overridden. I am now trying to figure out how to pay for the E-Visa now???

If I can’t figure out the payment problem then “turn out the lights the party is over”.  Then it was fun these nlast five years in CNX.  

Edited by sqwakvfr

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

Using a foreign credit card in Thailand or online with Thai businesses that use Thai Banks can be a problem. For instance my US Bank issued Visa was rejected 7 times on the E-Visa website.  The MFA uses Kasikorn Bank to accept payments for E-Visa’s.  However when I input my credit number, name, expiration date and security code into the payment portal their is no input block for my billing address.  This results in my what bank said is a “billing address mix match” and Visa’s security protocols will reject the transaction.  The bank said this security protocol cannot be overridden. I am now trying to figure out how to pay for the E-Visa now???

If I can’t figure out the payment problem then “turn out the lights the party is over”.  Then it was fun these nlast five years in CNX.  

No format for non-Thailand "Bill To" address, but it has not been an issue until January 2022.  Bank Management and/or government decision.  Only losing revenue will get them to notice.

12 hours ago, D M G said:

If you read Social Media, it sounds like foreigners in Thailand are experiencing Foreign Credit Card denials at many venues.  Something is happening, and needs to get investigated.  This is a major story.

Read, heard, sounds like, many, something...blah blah blah.

At least provide a link, or a first-hand experience.

Until then. Meh. Ignored.

There have been posts about some credit card verification switch from Verified by Visa to Verified by 3D Secure.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1245626-using-us-credit-card-with-lazada-kasikorn-issue/

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Read, heard, sounds like, many, something...blah blah blah.

At least provide a link, or a first-hand experience.

Until then. Meh. Ignored.

There have been posts about some credit card verification switch from Verified by Visa to Verified by 3D Secure.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1245626-using-us-credit-card-with-lazada-kasikorn-issue/

You are on to something, "Verified by Visa to Verified by 3D Secure."  A move by Kasikorn K-Bank.

4 hours ago, D M G said:

Lazada and Shopee denied!

Expect that has more to do with policy that cards billing address must match shipping address rather than being a foreign card.  Have used my US Chase card as recently as the 13th at Lazada with no issues.  But my address is listed in Thailand for the card.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Have used my US Chase card as recently as the 13th at Lazada with no issues.  But my address is listed in Thailand for the card.

And just used 20 minutes ago for a Tops order processed by 2C2P with instant approval.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Have used my US Chase card as recently as the 13th at Lazada with no issues. 

MC or Visa?

Which card? Freedom, Sapphire, co-branded?

Billing address: THL or USA?

Phone number(s) you can have multiple, U.S.A. or THL?

Did you receive any CNP (card not present) request for authorization? OTP via SMS?

Did you receive alerts for this transaction, assuming you've elected to enable those, via the Android app and/or email?

Not sure about this 3D Secure technology? Maybe developed for Visa and MC but maybe not so good, so Verified by Visa and MasterCard SecureCode remain the standards used by most issuers?

Maybe Kasikorn picked it up on the cheap?

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The best way of preventing this from happening s to keep the company informed of your whereabout,

Meh. This used to be a thing back in the day. Now? Not so much. All of my credit issuers have removed this "vacation notification" option from their websites. They don't seem to care about this. Mine seem to rely on alerts/notification (was this you) of a CNP activity, although the Verified by Visa thin is occasionally presented.

I think current issues seem to be more about the merchant/store-front not being able to gain authorization from the card/issuer in a format they now find acceptable? But that's just a guess. I don't think it's a mismatch between billing and shipping addresses?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I think current issues seem to be more about the merchant/store-front not being able to gain authorization from the card/issuer in a format they now find acceptable?

Maybe the OTP SMS is generated but not delivered or received - and not acknowledged, thus causing the rejection of the charge?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, D M G said:

5555555!   Good grief.

Why would you take any notice of unsubstantiated social (nutter) media posts?

Nothing untoward is happening.

Nothing "needs to be investigated".

Your allegation is not a major story, it's not even a minor story.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 8:33 AM, Peterw42 said:

If you are having problem using a credit card, maybe talk to the card issuer.

Not sure that posting the problem on social media solves anything, except maybe pushing a conspiracy theory that foreigners are being discriminated against.

Cards have limits, cards have overseas limits, cards have blocks for outside of normal spending patterns, all normal security measures. If your usual spending is groceries and gym membership in home country, then all of a sudden the next purchase is a sixpack of beer in 7/11 in a remote Thai village, that will probably bounce.

Also, CC company's dont like purchases in 3rd countries, eg: card is issued in country A, being used in country B, to buy goods from a merchant in country C. Its a red flag.

Sounds like better not bother having one with all those listings lol

On 1/16/2022 at 8:33 AM, Peterw42 said:

If you are having problem using a credit card, maybe talk to the card issuer.

Not sure that posting the problem on social media solves anything, except maybe pushing a conspiracy theory that foreigners are being discriminated against.

Cards have limits, cards have overseas limits, cards have blocks for outside of normal spending patterns, all normal security measures. If your usual spending is groceries and gym membership in home country, then all of a sudden the next purchase is a sixpack of beer in 7/11 in a remote Thai village, that will probably bounce.

Also, CC company's dont like purchases in 3rd countries, eg: card is issued in country A, being used in country B, to buy goods from a merchant in country C. Its a red flag.

Also note that the card issuer and/or the name on the card may NOT be the "processor" for that card. I recall several years ago a UK credit card that was blocked exclusively by AirAsia but worked everywhere else. This was eventually traced to an issue at their online card processor. They had a different card processor at their ticket desk as the airport. Yes, the card that was declined online was accepted at the airport.

This isn't too far out of date to be irrelevant.

https://www.cardfellow.com/blog/how-credit-card-processing-works/