Using US credit card with Lazada-Kasikorn issue

thaisail

Lazada has changed their website and mobile app to block the use of my US based Capitol One Visa credit card. I have built my house in 2020 buying all my AC units and tonnes of building materials on Lazada with good success. But suddenly a few months ago, the card I have used for the entire year was no longer accepted by Lazada. There had been a few times I had to jump through some hoops to make large purchases like my Air Con units and had to modify my billing address to get the "verified by visa" system to function but now I can't even by a dog collar with my Capitol One credit card! I also have found that when I call in to find a solution, they are now blocking me from reaching their "financial services" department. All they do now is send an email and request different documents. Things like screen shots of the credit card payment failure screen, photos of credit card front and back, passport copy and the latest credit card statement. I have now been blocked from Lazada for almost 3 months and they keep requesting the same documents. 

It seems that Lazada has taken on Kasikorn Bank to handle their Visa transactions because the Kasikorn window pops up to verify my credit card just before rejecting my payment. Capitol One has no record of any of these 20 rejected credit card transactions so I am sure the Kasikorn is blocking me. I assume that the issue is the billing address which in in Florida for my Capital One credit card while the billing address required for Lazada seems to be restricted to Thailand billing addresses. So, if there is anyone out there with a similar issue and has found a work around, please let me know. 

All of my retirement income is deposted into my Schwab Bank account in the US and payment of my credit card bill each month is easy through the American banking system. I know that most people transfer their retirement income to their Thai Banks but this is costly with bank charges from both ends and poor exchange rates. On top of that US persons must complete a FBAR form every year to declare their combines foreign bank accounts to the IRS if combined balance exceeds $10,000 even for one day during the tax year. But the main advantage of using a Capital One credit card is getting the best exchange rate available and the 2% cash back on purchases. Also the push notifications I receive from Capitol One through my Google Voice messaging system lets me know instantly when my wife uses the card. (my way to keep some control of the family finances!)

Because of this new Lazada policy, I must now pay for a debit card from my Thai bank. I calculate that I am now loosing 4% total between bank charges, exchange rates and loss of my 2% cash back commision. Is there anyone else out there who can offer a solution to the Lazada-Kasikorn conspiracy (perhaps Thai government interferance)?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Have you tried calling Kasikorn Bank to see if they can  help?

I am having a similar problem where my KBank online credit card is being refused on Lazada and AlieExpress. As you say, it must be related to the recent debacle where people's accounts were being debited without permission.

Another possible getaround: Have you looked into transferring funds from the US to your Kasikorn account using Transferwise? Their rates are pretty good. You can see everything upfront before committing to sending.

I think the problems are more to do with the recent tightening of Money Laundering in Thailand 

" Wise " is the rebrand name for Transferwise, and the rates are always mid- market rates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

I think the problems are more to do with the recent tightening of Money Laundering in Thailand 

" Wise " is the rebrand name for Transferwise, and the rates are always mid- market rates.

Wise. You are correct. I am still using the old name. Can't seem to shake the habit.

Been using them for several years. Very happy with their service.

For the OP.

As I alluded to in my earlier post, Kasikorn can provide an online credit card for internet purchases.

This is the one I am currently having problems with on Lazada and Aliexpress. Normally works very well.

HTH

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I buy stuff on Lazada via bank transfer from my Bangkok Bank account. No need to use a Thai credit or debit card! 

Really?  That stopped for me years ago - only able to do on Shopee.  Then changed to using US Credit Card for Lazada (which has my Thai address) and no problems using that method (last used today) so have not checked if they allow IBanking again.  Will add not given any options as when hit buy on Lazada credit card seems to be automatic now.

Edited by lopburi3

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Really?  That stopped for me years ago - only able to do on Shopee.  Then changed to using US Credit Card for Lazada (which has my Thai address) and no problems using that method (last used today) so have not checked if they allow IBanking again.

Yes really.

Three this week.

• Thanks 1

"What's in your wallet?"

Sucks when things one gets used to, change.

I'd talk to Lazada first, then Kasikorn, then visa.

I think Schwab offers fee-free SWIFT international transfers. But maybe that's account tier related? 

Do you have a Schwab Visa ATM Debit card? If so you may be able to do a teller cash advance, which is completely fee-free and gives the great daily visa rate. Best method available. Daily limit is $15,000 (in THB equivalent).

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

hi,

im also a good customer of lazada. I think its great and bought lot of things and never had any problems. Although i cannot understand paying with credit cards when you ordered something online. What ever i have ordered online i want to pay when i see it first. And i never order electronics or likewise things online. Need to see and test first. 

31 minutes ago, thaisail said:

Because of this new Lazada policy, I must now pay for a debit card from my Thai bank. I calculate that I am now loosing 4% total between bank charges, exchange rates and loss of my 2% cash back commision.

im sorry i dont understand what you mean. I might be wrong but, if you have thai DEBIT card which is not credit card which means you have to have money in the debit card account. it is thai debit card so you must have thai baht in it. if it is dollar account then you must have dollar in it. So how they can charge you 4%? what bank charges, what exchange rate? Youi can pay in baht with lazada... 

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, thaisail said:

Because of this new Lazada policy, I must now pay for a debit card from my Thai bank. I calculate that I am now loosing 4% total between bank charges, exchange rates and loss of my 2% cash back commision. Is there anyone else out there who can offer a solution to the Lazada-Kasikorn conspiracy (perhaps Thai government interferance)?

Pay 'CoD' and use your local phone banking app 'scan' feature to pay the delivery driver.

They all accept this payment.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes you do. Upon checkout click to view ALL payment options.

Place order now results in automatic CC payment with no options or actions by me on web site.  Perhaps if did not have CC on file would get such but do not with it in memory.

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Place order now results in automatic CC payment with no options or actions by me on web site.  Perhaps if did not have CC on file would get such but do not with it in memory.

Call customer support. I'm sure there will be a way for you to navigate to the all options page.

38 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Have you tried calling Kasikorn Bank to see if they can  help?

I am having a similar problem where my KBank online credit card is being refused on Lazada and AlieExpress. As you say, it must be related to the recent debacle where people's accounts were being debited without permission.

Another possible getaround: Have you looked into transferring funds from the US to your Kasikorn account using Transferwise? Their rates are pretty good. You can see everything upfront before committing to sending.

My experience with Kasikorn has not been great. I think this issue is far above the heads of the people responding on their customer help line. Besides, I have no proof that Kasikorn is behind this issue. It could be just Lazada trying to avoid loosing the credit card margin. 

I tried to set up transferwise with Schwab bank about a year ago. The name has now changed from Transferwise to just "WISE". I am looking into that option. However, the immigration needs to see transfers from a foreign bank to a Thai bank. With "Wise" the transfer is recorded as a domestic transfer instead of a foreign bank transfer. I will try to talk to immigration to see if they will accept "Wise" transfers. But I think we all know how that will go!

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Call customer support. I'm sure there will be a way for you to navigate to the all options page.

Will try removing CC data next time and see what happens.  Expect that may open the options.  Had used BBL banking years ago but then BBL seemed to be removed from the bank options (and back and gone again as I recall).  

The curse of being a holder of that blue eagle-crested passport. 

Solution: pay via a local payment method to appease the paranoid payment processors. Banks are now jittery and fidgety after the recently reported e-commerce fraud incident.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I buy stuff on Lazada via bank transfer from my Bangkok Bank account. No need to use a Thai credit or debit card! 

I just order COD.  Less of a hassle if a merchant takes too long to ship the product - just cancel and there is no need for refunds.

If it's for a larger ticket item were COD is not offered, like Jingthing said - use a bank transfer from your Thai bank.  Piece of cake.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Lazada wouldn't accept my Capital One Mastercard recently either, which is too bad, because I like using the Eno virtual card feature on the CapOne card.  I put the Lazada transaction through with my State Department Federal Credit Union Visa without any problem.  So, it's not that they are refusing all US or foreign credit cards.

Aren't you all incurring foreign transaction charges?  Personally, I only use my credit card for US based companies.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

Why not? I set one up last month. It's a joy to use AFTER you've figured out how to top it up.

+1.  

They must have changed something as I was always refused, "Foreigners cannot have a Lazada Wallet."

When I applied recently it was accepted.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

I just order COD.  Less of a hassle if a merchant takes too long to ship the product - just cancel and there is no need for refunds.

If it's for a larger ticket item were COD is not offered, like Jingthing said - use a bank transfer from your Thai bank.  Piece of cake.

I use COD on orders from China. Does that make me a Sinophobe?

Also I will often test the stock on an item by scrolling up. If they have low stock I also do COD.

An issue with COD is they won't always make change. I reckon sometimes they bluff to force a big tip. But its a bother to have exact change.

Edited by Jingthing

9 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

Aren't you all incurring foreign transaction charges?  Personally, I only use my credit card for US based companies.

Some of us have credit cards which do NOT charge any foreign transaction fees.

There are free options (BofA Travel Rewards) and annual membership options (Chase Sapphire).

https://www.nerdwallet.com/best/credit-cards/no-foreign-transaction-fee

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

None of my US credit cards charge for foreign transactions, except Amex which I only use in the US. 

I recommend sdfcu.org, Capital One, and Pentagon Federal for credit cards with no foreign transaction fees.

• Thanks 1

I used my Capital One MC just the other day. Have had this problem numerous times in the past over the years where all of a sudden this credit card doesn't work at LAZADA.

If using the app, go to Apps in your phone settings and in the Lazada app clear cache and all data. This may solve your issue. Has worked for me every time. 

• Thanks 2