Taking Tilak To Usa

Hello all. Does anyone have information on the best way, or any way to get tilak to the USA for a few months. Which visa should I try for? She thinks that if she changes her ID card to my last name, which I assume means getting a Thai marriage, that would work, but then she says I need to show proof of home ownership and bank records to show that I have adequate money for support, and a document issued by the US showing that I am not married. Sounds like a Fiance visa. Is this a good way to go and would the Thai marriage be legal in the USA? She says she can show proof to them that she works in a beauty parlor and is a good Thai lady. :o I just finished my first trip to LOS and I will probably return for her as soon as I can get everything straight here. I would hate to waste a trip due to not having all the proper documents. Any help or links to sites that can give me this information is appreciated.

Your tirak has 3 ways to get into the US... 1) get a tourist visa, 2) get a fiance visa, or 3) get an immigrant visa.

For choice 1, the likelihood that she would qualify for this visa is slim to none. She must be able to prove to US authorities (at the US Embassy) that she will return to Thailand after her brief visit to the US. In other words, she must prove that she will not overstay her visa, which as you probably know, is a common occurrence in the US --- ###### those illegal space aliens!

For choice 2, you will need to complete form I-129F (visit the USCIS website) for instructions and details. It takes about 6-8 months for this application to be approved. If your tirac gets the fiance (K-1) visa, then when she enters the US she must marry with you within 90 days... otherwise she must return to Thailand.

For choice 3, you will need to marry in Thailand (yes this marriage is recognized in the US), and then you will need to complete form I-130 (visit the USCIS website) for instructions and details. It takes about 12-15 months for this application to be approved. If you tirac gets the visa, she can come and stay in the US indefinitely.

For choices 2 and 3 you must prove to the US authorities that you have the financial means to support your tirac in the US. For two person (yourself and her), it is something like $25K per year in earnings or other financial means (stocks, bonds, etc). You do not have to be a home owner.

Now for my personal opinion... go to Thailand a few more times to spend with your tirac before considering either choice 2 or 3. Make sure you have the real deal with your tirac and not just some Thai "toy" that makes you feel good while on vacation. A lot of foreigners (falangs) make the mistake of committing too soon to Thai partners they hardly know, only to find them a different person after they are in falang-land.

Lastly, if you need more info on the I-129F or the I-130, seach the Thai Visa forum.

Good luck.

Your tirak has 3 ways to get into the US... 1) get a tourist visa, 2) get a fiance visa, or 3) get an immigrant visa.

For choice 1, the likelihood that she would qualify for this visa is slim to none. She must be able to prove to US authorities (at the US Embassy) that she will return to Thailand after her brief visit to the US. In other words, she must prove that she will not overstay her visa, which as you probably know, is a common occurrence in the US --- ###### those illegal space aliens!

For choice 2, you will need to complete form I-129F (visit the USCIS website) for instructions and details. It takes about 6-8 months for this application to be approved. If your tirac gets the fiance (K-1) visa, then when she enters the US she must marry with you within 90 days... otherwise she must return to Thailand.

For choice 3, you will need to marry in Thailand (yes this marriage is recognized in the US), and then you will need to complete form I-130 (visit the USCIS website) for instructions and details. It takes about 12-15 months for this application to be approved. If you tirac gets the visa, she can come and stay in the US indefinitely.

For choices 2 and 3 you must prove to the US authorities that you have the financial means to support your tirac in the US. For two person (yourself and her), it is something like $25K per year in earnings or other financial means (stocks, bonds, etc). You do not have to be a home owner.

Now for my personal opinion... go to Thailand a few more times to spend with your tirac before considering either choice 2 or 3. Make sure you have the real deal with your tirac and not just some Thai "toy" that makes you feel good while on vacation. A lot of foreigners (falangs) make the mistake of committing too soon to Thai partners they hardly know, only to find them a different person after they are in falang-land.

Lastly, if you need more info on the I-129F or the I-130, seach the Thai Visa forum.

Good luck.

Very sound advice 'Gumball' . I agree with everything you said and especially the highlighted paragraph. As for the timelines mentioned, those are good approximates but could take much longer if you make any mistake on any of your paperwork. About two years ago, I handled all my own paperwork and everything went very smoothly and it took me approximately 6 months from the time I applied for a fiance visa until the time we got approval. Marrying my Thai wife turned out to be one of the one of the best things I have done my in my life but just like Gumball, in my humble opinion, I think it is best not be hasty in choosing options 2 or 3 because unless you have known someone for quite some time since it takes longer to get to really know and understand someone of a different culture well enough to marry them. Good luck .

You state the $25k is required for two people living together right?

Well how much do the UK embassy recognise of sufficient funds for a settlement visa?

Me and my wife are about to put forward a settlement application to join me in England.

I live with my mother and that is not a problem ( i have welcome letter from her ).

I currently earn £14500 before tax each year, outgoings £300 a month.

Thanks all..

I agree far too early to be bringing her over - first trip to thailand and you are ready to marry her? :D How long have you known her??? :o

Yes it's way too early for me to be thinking marriage. That was her idea. I would rather get a tourist visa for her if possible and use the time to get to know her. Otherwise I could do a fiance visa and let her go back at 90 days, but I don't feel good about that. I'm just trying to figure out how to get her here to the USA. I'll call the American embassy in the morning and try to get some answers.

I agree far too early to be bringing her over - first trip to thailand and you are ready to marry her? :D How long have you known her??? :o

Yes it's way too early for me to be thinking marriage. That was her idea. I would rather get a tourist visa for her if possible and use the time to get to know her. Otherwise I could do a fiance visa and let her go back at 90 days, but I don't feel good about that. I'm just trying to figure out how to get her here to the USA. I'll call the American embassy in the morning and try to get some answers.

you MIGHT be able to get her to the US ... a lot depends on her status in Thailand ... You are far more likely to be visiting her here a few more times first. Our govt <USA> is a bit tight about issueing visas to just random folks from Thailand.