Witch's Oyster Bar

Last night we tried Witch's Oyster Bar on Ruam Rudee. It was excellent. I started off with a dozen imported (from Australia) oysters. They were the best that I have had in Thailand....maybe the best ever.

The fish on a bed of vegetables followed.

By the way, the drinks menu has some very creative names, as you can see.

And, the service is very friendly

There is plenty of free parking as the restaurant is located in the Ruamrudee Shopping Village just next to the Athenee Residence. By Sky Train: a 100 meter walk from Phloenchit station.

I started off with a dozen imported (from Australia) oysters. They were the best that I have had in Thailand....maybe the best ever.

Sydney Rock

no-one else knows what an oyster is ,

try to imagine them fresh ,

ie your eating them straight from the shell , dipped in a little sea water to rinse off after you've prised it straight from it's shell on the rock .......................

Last night we tried Witch's Oyster Bar on Ruam Rudee. It was excellent. I started off with a dozen imported (from Australia) oysters. They were the best that I have had in Thailand....maybe the best ever.

There is plenty of free parking as the restaurant is located in the Ruamrudee Shopping Village just next to the Athenee Residence. By Sky Train: a 100 meter walk from Phloenchit station.

Looks great, although without sounding tight, it looks <deleted> expensive.

Brings tears to my eyes. There used to be an Oyster Bar in Adelaide where you could get a dozen for 2 dollars. (this was 1968)

In 1976 I spent 2 weeks in the Torres straits Islands. Used to walk out and chip a couple of bucket fulls off the rocks every day. Some were the size of a saucer. As mid said, just wash them in sea water, but we'd take a bucket full back to camp and place them around the camp fire. When they opened a couple of drops of hot sauce and enjoy.

We caught a Spanish Mackerel about four foot long and one of the guys TI wife sliced it thin and left it in lime juice with chilis for a couple of hours and we ate it raw. Stunning.

Looks great, although without sounding tight, it looks <deleted> expensive.

The oysters were 100b - 120b each. But, really great! I mean I could have taken down 36 of them...they were that tasty.

The oysters were 100b - 120b each. But, really great! I mean I could have taken down 36 of them...they were that tasty.

That's pretty expensive as oysters go. I'm used to paynig about 50 - 60 Baht each for them...

Trust me. You will love these.

• 2 years later...

Not being a particular fan of raw oysters myself (or more directly, I wouldn't touch one...and yes...I've tried them before....) I confess that my repertoire of oyster dining recommendations for Bangkok isn't what it might be for other, more familiar cuisines... :)

So, the other day, for a treat since she loves them, I took the Thai wife to the one option that I knew... Bourbon Street Grill and OYSTER Bar in Sukhumvit's Washington Square... And indeed, to my surprise, Bourbon Street had a separate one-page menu of 4 or 5 different varieties and prices of oysters... served in singles, or sets of 3 or 6.....

We were fortunate to discover that Bourbon Street apparently has an unadvertised special on Thursdays just for their basic oyster: whatever menu item you order first, you get a second order for free... So one oyster purchase gets a second free. Or, a set of 3 or 6 gets a second set of 3 or 6 for free...

But apparently, as it was explained to us by our waiter, that only applies to your FIRST order on Thursdays... So, you CANNOT keep ordering more and more orders and having each one doubled up with a free add-on. But an initial order of 3 or 6 with a second identical order for free is a nice choice... And to my surprise, my wife had no trouble polishing off a paid set of 6 followed by a freebie set of 6. I just watched in wonder....

I started off with a dozen imported (from Australia) oysters. They were the best that I have had in Thailand....maybe the best ever.

Sydney Rock

no-one else knows what an oyster is ,

try to imagine them fresh ,

ie your eating them straight from the shell , dipped in a little sea water to rinse off after you've prised it straight from it's shell on the rock .......................

stop that ! drooling

Ahh....OK...so if I'm following this right, what used to be WIT's Oyster Bar in Soi Ruamrudee was somewhere along the way taken over and renamed Witch's Oyster Bar???

Looking online, I found almost no references still surviving to Wit's...with one S.... But Witch's Oyster Bar (part of the group that runs the Witch's Tavern and others in Thonglor) has its own web site....

I was referring to the WITCH'S Oyster Bar on Soi Ruamrudee, that is the subject/topic of this thread....

But I have a wife who loves oysters.... So I'd be interested in other choices, as well....

Same place, they've changed the name

http://www.mcdang.com/Bangkok/B29.asp

Anyone know what happened to Khun Witt?

Witch's Oyster Bar's web site has an online menu that lists their imported oysters as going at 120 baht a pop.... The online menu only shows one choice about that.... I'd wonder if in fact they have a range of choices once you're at the restaurant...

Likewise, Bourbon Street had several different types of raw oysters at different prices on their separate one-page oysters menu (which I had never seen before in many visits of eating there for other food)... I believe (if my memory on this is correct) that their basic oyster was labeled as a kumamoto... And they were priced on the menu at something around 100 baht a pop....

When I go to Bourbon Street, it's more in the line of their Monday night all-you-can-eat Cajun red beans and rice special for 200 baht, or their Tuesday night Mexican food buffet (with Cajun choices added in) for just a bit under 300 baht... I'll leave their oysters to others... :)

Ahh....OK...so if I'm following this right, what used to be WIT's Oyster Bar in Soi Ruamrudee was somewhere along the way taken over and renamed Witch's Oyster Bar???

Looking online, I found almost no references still surviving to Wit's...with one S.... But Witch's Oyster Bar (part of the group that runs the Witch's Tavern and others in Thonglor) has its own web site....

I was referring to the WITCH'S Oyster Bar on Soi Ruamrudee, that is the subject/topic of this thread....

But I have a wife who loves oysters.... So I'd be interested in other choices, as well....

Yes. I recognise the bar and layout from when it was Witt's Oyster Bar. They haven't changed anything apart from the name. Khun Witt was a very cultured Thai gentleman who was related to the Royal Family and was there most nights.

I haven't been for many many years as I dated his niece a long long long time ago and my next GF would become extremely jealous if anything remotely tangential to her came up, so I was effectively banned and stopped going!

Jesus, if even the internet barely remembers its old name I'm OLD! :):D

I asked the wife about this the other day, because I was surprised/shocked to learn that she a) knew what oysters are and :) considered them a treat and favorite... And she's originally from Khon Kaen...not BKK hi-so...

She explained, you can find oysters at a lot of Thai seafood places... But she said the Thai places typically don't serve them on the half-shell, as does Bourbon Street and other farang places, and she said the Thai varieties tend to be smaller.... Of all this, I know nothing... just relaying her report... :D

Sadly Khun Wit (Pravit Purananda) passed away about a month ago.

Patrick

Witch's Oyster Bar's web site has an online menu that lists their imported oysters as going at 120 baht a pop.... The online menu only shows one choice about that.... I'd wonder if in fact they have a range of choices once you're at the restaurant...

Likewise, Bourbon Street had several different types of raw oysters at different prices on their separate one-page oysters menu (which I had never seen before in many visits of eating there for other food)... I believe (if my memory on this is correct) that their basic oyster was labeled as a kumamoto... And they were priced on the menu at something around 100 baht a pop....

When I go to Bourbon Street, it's more in the line of their Monday night all-you-can-eat Cajun red beans and rice special for 200 baht, or their Tuesday night Mexican food buffet (with Cajun choices added in) for just a bit under 300 baht... I'll leave their oysters to others... :)

:D thats insane! count me out as well. Better of paying 1500 bht at the marriot buffet all you can eat oysters all though not sure if they imported

I had oysters Bienville at Bourbon Street last night, 225 baht for plate of four rather large baked oysters on the half shell. They were excellent with a little Louisiana hot sauce.

I asked the wife about this the other day, because I was surprised/shocked to learn that she a) knew what oysters are and :) considered them a treat and favorite... And she's originally from Khon Kaen...not BKK hi-so...

She explained, you can find oysters at a lot of Thai seafood places... But she said the Thai places typically don't serve them on the half-shell, as does Bourbon Street and other farang places, and she said the Thai varieties tend to be smaller.... Of all this, I know nothing... just relaying her report... :D

Not where I live. Tell your wife to come down for a visit sometime and we will take her to the local seafood place, serves raw oysters on the half shell (quite large too) with crispy deep fried spring onions and this really fantastic spicy garlic lemon dipping sauce.

They have fish and other seafood too, so you can come too :D

Sounds like you've been on quite an oyster binge lately!!! Hehehehehehe... :)

What kind of prices for OOTHS (oysters on the half shell) at Ban Klang Nam, Sabaijai???

I had oysters Bienville at Bourbon Street last night, 225 baht for plate of four rather large baked oysters on the half shell. They were excellent with a little Louisiana hot sauce.
Plenty of Thai restos serve raw oysters on the half shell. I enjoyed a few last week at Ban Klang Nam on the river here in Bangkok. Probably won't see them in Khon Kaen though.

Thanks for the invite...and the info... SBK!!!

What's the local Koh Phangnan place you're talking about... We do travel from time to time... I'll put it on my list.... as a little surprise for the wife sometime....

:)

Not where I live. Tell your wife to come down for a visit sometime and we will take her to the local seafood place, serves raw oysters on the half shell (quite large too) with crispy deep fried spring onions and this really fantastic spicy garlic lemon dipping sauce.

They have fish and other seafood too, so you can come too :D

Edited by jfchandler