Price of glow plugs

Kiwithl

My first ever diesel engine needs new glow plugs.

About how much should they cost?

Three auto supply shops near me (50 km away) don't have them.

Lazada has 95B each (Mazda brand) or 250B each (HKT brand). Good reviews for both.

Please understand; I've never bought glow plugs before so know nothing about them except their function.

Edited by Kiwithl
Add info

Why do you need new glow plugs? 

I quote "The average life of a glow plug on a diesel engine is roughly 100,000 miles. So, it is not something you should have to worry about very often."

More likely another issue?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Pdavies99 said:

Why do you need new glow plugs? 

I quote "The average life of a glow plug on a diesel engine is roughly 100,000 miles. So, it is not something you should have to worry about very often."

More likely another issue?

That sounds on the low side. 100,000 miles (160,000 km) is barely run in for a decent diesel. You'd expect at least 200,000 miles (320,000 km) before starting to worry about things like this (assuming the diesel is adequately maintained).

• Like 2

I personally would by the cheaper ones first it's not going to rob the bank, i guess you will need 4. if they last all well and good. Not sure on newer engine types, but they normally only operate for cold start for a few seconds until the light goes out. Also check to see if the relay is ok. But if you say glow plugs then I will believe you. My old Hilux would start with one plug not working but had to wait for the light to go out twice, lately I have found that most won't start unless all four are working. Easy enough job with the right (deep set) socket, and I guess you have checked power is going to them. They can pack up at any time for a myriad of reasons.  Good luck.

Edited by brianthainess

2005 model.

Almost 180,000 km. 

I am 2nd owner. Only 1 or 2000 km by me.

Maintenance, who knows, but drives quite well. Slight oil seep near inlet manifold, uses clutch fluid, gearbox oil was black like old engine oil. I've replaced air, fuel and oil filters and changed engine, gearbox and diff oils.

Just passed the stringent road tax/por lor bor test. Not smoky or noisy.

Thought new air and fuel filter might help starting the engine. It cranks for ages before starting when cold. Even heating glow plugs 6 times before cranking doesn't help. White smoke, unburnt fuel, symptoms of glow plug problems. Starts fine when hot, runs well. Not fuel pump I think.

Searching for glow plugs I have also seen heating units? for diesel engines, appear to be a few wires and a relay or something.

Check relay. Ok, if I can identify it. Don't have multimeter though.

Found HKT glow plugs for 100 each. Genuine or fake? One of the problems with the modern world...

They should last ages. Ok.

They can pack it in any time. Ok. A bit like spark plugs in that regard.

Deep socket yet to buy.

Check power is going to them. Yes, of course. So I need a multimeter? Or is there another way?

Advice and thoughts (helpful ones) welcome, please.

23 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

That sounds on the low side. 100,000 miles (160,000 km) is barely run in for a decent diesel. You'd expect at least 200,000 miles (320,000 km) before starting to worry about things like this (assuming the diesel is adequately maintained).

Yes, I agree....that's why I wondered why he needs new glow plugs?