Abandoned Moo-baan and towers - Bang Pakong

Kinnock

Anyone know the history of the abandoned riverside development next to the Expressway in Bang Pakong?

Each time I cross into Chonburi from Samut Prakarn, I wonder how this large development of riverside houses and large condo buildings could heve been completed, but never occupied? 

I couldn't find an answer on Google, but maybe I was using the wrong search terms.

235388046_20220118_171128(1).thumb.jpg.4f213be6e83c9b1a03c7852f14b3900a.jpg

• Like 1

Remnants of the bubble bursting and financial crisis of 1997. I cant remember the name of the project or company even. There were stories a couple of times a few years later about them being taken on by new investors but nothing ever seemed to happen.  

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Remnants of the bubble bursting and financial crisis of 1997. I cant remember the name of the project or company even. There were stories a couple of times a few years later about them being taken on by new investors but nothing ever seemed to happen.  

It migth be this project..investors migth loosing billions of bath

new nordic.jpg

• Like 1

I remember driving past those on my way to work around 96, 97.

Great big shiny buildings that looked very out of place at the time

Pre motorway days, on a sunday it could take 5 hours from Pattaya to Bangkok

One of the selling features was a drive in boat parking, you could come in from the river and park your speed boat in your own stall. I thought it a silly idea at the time, and I never saw any signs of occupants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

I remember driving past those on my way to work around 96, 97.

Great big shiny buildings that looked very out of place at the time

Pre motorway days, on a sunday it could take 5 hours from Pattaya to Bangkok

One of the selling features was a drive in boat parking, you could come in from the river and park your speed boat in your own stall. I thought it a silly idea at the time, and I never saw any signs of occupants.

Ah yes - I could see moorings in front of the houses.  HiSo!

But not really an upmarket area - next to a power station and an industrial estate.

4 minutes ago, Halfaboy said:

There is a topic running titled 'Abandoned. Derelict, Decaying Locations Around Thailand'. Have a look and you will be amazed.

'.

Yes, the Batman building, just around the corner from me. 

It's an awesome structure. 

Would have been a great venue, that and Xzyte back in the day. 

Sadly, it was gutted before I arrived 20 years ago. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Apparently it was originally developed as Country Marina City, and then there was an attempt to change the name to Marina Lagoon Suvarnabhumi just before the airport opened. Not totally clear exactly what went wrong other than the 1997 crash, though there's speculation online that the foundation may be unstable.

There's some info in the links below - you can use the automatic translation in Chrome to read the Thai discussions.

http://www.smc.co.th/projects-detail.php?ic=2&id=2

https://m.pantip.com/topic/30206968?

https://m.pantip.com/topic/30510814

Fascinating read - thank you.  I see SMC are still showing this development on their web site - I wonder if they ever got paid?

I've seen some of the 'Ghost towers' in Bangkok, but this development in Bang Pakong is the largest abandoned development I've ever seen in Thailand.

I guess the structures are getting a bit old for anyone to complete the work now?  

• Like 1

There used to be a lot of information on Bang Phra Kong on Google, then several years ago, it disappeared.

The bankruptcy is still winding it's way in the courts, complicated by the fact that nearly all the original principles: both plaintiffs and defendants have died and their estates (with their own waring factions) are now arguing things out.

Hanging over almost every abandoned major project in Thailand is the requirement that 75% of the outstanding loan balance must be recovered at auction or sale, making it very difficult to finance a rehabilitation.

What has always surprised me about Bang Phra Kong is that it is being maintained to a high level, unlike most closed down projects.  The grass is cut, the area is clean and not overgrown and they recently re-painted some of the buildings.

• Thanks 2

On 1/23/2022 at 10:43 AM, unblocktheplanet said:

Wonder how close is the nearest BTS. Would be great for...a field hospital...housing the new homeless!

Someone would have to buy it first!   These places always have an owner, they're not available for anyone to take over free of charge.

Thanks to the OP and all those who have posted about this doomed project. Very interesting.

For years I did travel by bus once a month between BKK and Pattaya by the expressway and always tried to have a look at that place wondering if I'd ever see a car or a boat there.

BTW there is another sorry semi-abandoned lot of two double rows of shophouses also on that way. Not far after you leave BKK. Just after the industrial estates on the left.

I saw these coming up and I just happened to ride by when one block that had just been constructed and was being finished inside tipped over scaring the devil of the painters inside. It made the BKK Post.

Weak foundations that one. They must have presold some units because you can see some activity in the first row of three blocks and in the second intact with its four blocks. Some trees have been planted on the site of the tipped block but overall the place looks uncared for.

I always wondered about the legal follow-up of that block collapse and also how the unlucky folks who had already pre bought a few units were authorized to occupy them. 

Worth a look next time you're on the way to Pattaya.  About 20' from BKK, on the left. 

• Like 1