Extension to stay based on Retirement and Money in the Bank

I am trying to find a definitive answer to the question, "Can the bank account which maintains a balance of THB 800K be in joint names with the Thai wife?".

A friend has posed the question as part of his re-organisation of his financial affairs. His concern is that, on his death his pension income will terminate, it will take a period of months, sometimes more than a year for probate to be obtained and for his wife to be able to access his assets, all of which are bequeathed to her in his Thai will. He would like her to be a joint account holder on the THB 800k account (which he will no longer require for Immigration purposes) and at least have that money to tide her over until all the formalities are finalised.

Thanks in advance for all input.

No , must be in your name , could be if you had 1,600 Baht in dual

accounts but some offices don't allow it , but you can open an account

at I know Bangkok bank maybe others, where you can have an account

in your name with your wife's added to the account ,but not named, just 

to the hidden part where you also sign* , she can also take money out,

regards worgeordie  * can only be seen by UV light so immigration cannot see.

Edited by worgeordie
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Concur with poster above.

You can get Bangkok Bank to put your wife on the account and get her ATM card for access but only your name is on the account book.

My wife ATM card recently expired and she went to ask if could renew.  They said sure but need bank book.  It is with me out of country............

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Previous answers correct.

Silent signiture to the account.

Think only possible if wife.

I tried the same for same reason but was not possible as we are not married. De Facto situation but could not put her on the account. 

No, not quite correct!

The 1st response should have said 1,600K Baht not 1,600 Baht but is correct in saying this would not be guaranteed.

Silent signature on an account? Never hear that one before! Now you have let the cat out of the bag and if Immigration read your post they will put a stop to it!

Edited by Chris.B
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

No, not quite correct!

The 1st response should have said 1,600K Baht not 1,600 Baht but is correct in saying this would not be guaranteed.

Silent signature on an account? Never hear that one before! Now you have let the cat out of the bag and if Immigration read your post they will put a stop to it!

Yes it's possible. 

Has been for long time.

BTW when I stated the above posts were correct, I was referring to this "silent signiture" part.

As for actually having the account in both names that's different.

Some immigration offices will/may permit joint account for marriage extension.

In that case the account would require 1.6 mill.

Also that would NOT be possible for extension retirement.

I would suggest keep account in one name only.

For non married guys make sure that you make a Thai will..

Not difficult process..

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GordonP said:

His concern is that, on his death his pension income will terminate, it will take a period of months, sometimes more than a year for probate to be obtained and for his wife to be able to access his assets, all of which are bequeathed to her in his Thai will.

I also have this concern about my wife's ability to access my assets easily when I'm gone. For funds held in a retirement account (IRA or 401k) in the US, I named  my wife as a beneficiary, which allows assets to be transferred without going through probate. The beneficiary designation may work for other kinds of accounts as well.

Paul Laew

• Thanks 1