Raw butter in Bangkok?

seff55

If distance no problem then Siambury's in Pattaya sells great salted butter in blocks of various sizes. I stopped buying all the processed <deleted> from supermarkets when I discovered it. They deliver nationwide:

https://expatfoodsthailand.com/?fbclid=IwAR3nWkGBzR13h7V0Ki6oB5zg3pjdA4ApTZtBzxzmkfyDB11lHwDblPyrqRw

Example:

https://expatfoodsthailand.com/shop/chilled-products/cheese-dairy-products/herritage-salted-butter-250g-approx-weight/#iLightbox[]/0

I buy in bulk and freeze. It freezes well. Their mature cheddar is a dream but freezes less well but still ok.

Edited by Card
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure what 'raw' butter is.  Do you simply mean unsalted, then easy to find.

Or simply make your own, as doesn't get any easier.  Just need a blender, processor or can actually do it buy hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZsOXUKVEXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tBXlictR8s

I only knew because I was watching a Nutrition video on YouTube the other night ???? I

"Raw butter is made from raw cream, or cream that has not been pasteurized. Many people believe that pasteurization kills not only the beneficial enzymes and nutrients but dulls flavor of the cream and the things you make from it like butter, cheese, yogurt. "

https://www.thekitchn.com/favorite-ingredient-cultured-r-123101

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not sure what 'raw' butter is.  Do you simply mean unsalted, then easy to find.

Or simply make your own, as doesn't get any easier.  Just need a blender, processor or can actually do it buy hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZsOXUKVEXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tBXlictR8s

Oh sure. It's more difficult to find unprocessed cream in Thailand than just about anything else.  Certainly more difficult to find than unprocessed butter.

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I only knew because I was watching a Nutrition video on YouTube the other night ???? I

"Raw butter is made from raw cream, or cream that has not been pasteurized. Many people believe that pasteurization kills not only the beneficial enzymes and nutrients but dulls flavor of the cream and the things you make from it like butter, cheese, yogurt. "

https://www.thekitchn.com/favorite-ingredient-cultured-r-123101

In that case you will never find it in Thailand 

• Like 1

Best bet may be to search the many organic food markets in Bangkok.  

Personally, I'd stay away from anything made from unpasteurized milk in the LoS.  There's a reason why Asia were historically never dairy consumers until the proliferation of refrigeration and pasteurization.

59 minutes ago, Card said:

Oh sure. It's more difficult to find unprocessed cream in Thailand than just about anything else.  Certainly more difficult to find than unprocessed butter.

They do sell 'raw' milk here.  If willing to travel wherever, just buy raw milk, wherever.  Sure VM has it, and I've noticed elsewhere. 

" Distance no issue"

Or go to a dairy farm ... get it fresh.  If that concerned.  That would fall under the uncommon common sense thingy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iron Tongue said:

Best bet may be to search the many organic food markets in Bangkok.  

Personally, I'd stay away from anything made from unpasteurized milk in the LoS.  There's a reason why Asia were historically never dairy consumers until the proliferation of refrigeration and pasteurization.

I think the real reason is to do with the inability of Asians to deal with lactose but they can deal with bacterial contaminants quite readily. Many are still lactose intolerant but the modern processed dairy products are more easily digested and difficult for them to resist.

Edited by Card
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Card said:

I think the real reason is to do with the inability of Asians to deal with lactose but they can deal with bacterial contaminants quite readily. Many are still lactose intolerant but the modern processed dairy products are more easily digested and difficult for them to resist.

Lactose intolerance is a "chicken or egg" thing. 

No historical access to dairy = lactose intolerance & digestive issues.  Asians living in the West as well as in the many metropolitan cities of Asia consume gallons of milk and mounds of butter & cheese without any issues nowadays.  Asians living in the far north & west and who have always drank goats milk & cheese have never had any lactose problems in thousands of years.

Raw milk from a Western dairy is kept chilled while I remain suspicious of how Thai raw milk is produced and stored when temperatures are in the 90°s with 100% humidity.

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

When has there ever been 100% humidity in Thailand?

That would be quite often.  Think you should google what 100% means.

Simply air holding as much as it can.  May also mean rain, fog, dew and really dependent on temp & pressure, what form, visible or not.

Thailand does have the 60-80% almost constantly with high temps, so yea, I'd be careful with raw milk.  Think humidity would be least of one's concern, since in a container.

If OP that much of a 'purist', think I'd find the closest dairy farm with a store front shop.

Frankly all seems bit of a hassle, just for butter.  Maybe something else that one would consume more of & often, would be worth the effort.  Not much of a market for raw butter, and pricing would be a bit more than I'd care to pay.

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That would be quite often.  Think you should google what 100% means.

Simply air holding as much as it can.  May also mean rain, fog, dew and really dependent on temp & pressure, what form, visible or not.

Thailand does have the 60-80% almost constantly with high temps, so yea, I'd be careful with raw milk.  Think humidity would be least of one's concern, since in a container.

If OP that much of a 'purist', think I'd find the closest dairy farm with a store front shop.

Frankly all seems bit of a hassle, just for butter.  Maybe something else that one would consume more of & often, would be worth the effort.  Not much of a market for raw butter, and pricing would be a bit more than I'd care to pay.

Ok I have been educated, just read up on it never knew it was like that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Make sure you have good health insurance, eating unpasteurized dairy products in Thailand is extremely dangerous.

Squeaky clean western paranoia.   Maintain your immune system, and keeps most things at bay.  Simply know the risk & vendor, and proceed.

Been eating raw eggs for years ... love my eggnog, or very runny scrambled, never sick.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Squeaky clean western paranoia.   Maintain your immune system, and keeps most things at bay.  Simply know the risk & vendor, and proceed.

Been eating raw eggs for years ... love my eggnog, or very runny scrambled, never sick.

Raw milk risks, E.Coli, bovine tuberculosis, brucellosis, listeria, campylobacter, salmonella and many other pathogens.

Tuberculosis is rife in some parts of Thailand, there is a very good reason why it is pasteurised, especially here in Thailand and can only be bought legally from the farmer.  Most countries ban its sale completely.

5 minutes ago, JBCiangRai said:

Raw milk risks, E.Coli, bovine tuberculosis, brucellosis, listeria, campylobacter, salmonella and many other pathogens.

Tuberculosis is rife in some parts of Thailand, there is a very good reason why it is pasteurised, especially here in Thailand and can only be bought legally from the farmer. Most countries ban its sale completely.

Know those listed risks. Also know of the risk of salmonella from raw eggs. Probably have eaten 1000s of raw / undercooked eggs in my lifetime, and not once even the slightest ill effects.

Go figure.   

As I stated, buying raw milk, good to know the product & vendor. One I posted about has an excellent track record ... I think.

Can't live in fear of every risk your whole life.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Know those listed risks. Also know of the risk of salmonella from raw eggs. Probably have eaten 1000s of raw / undercooked eggs in my lifetime, and not once even the slightest ill effects.

Go figure.   

As I stated, buying raw milk, good to know the product & vendor. One I posted about has an excellent track record ... I think.

Can't live in fear of every risk your whole life.

Can you share where you get your raw milk?

Yup, been eating raw eggs and raw liver for 2+ years now in Thailand.. never been sick. BUT, been sick 10+ times from cooked foods here, go figure...

EDIT: Thanks to all above for the links and tips, I have some hunting to do. ????

Edited by seff55

On 1/29/2022 at 11:18 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Tuberculosis is rife in some parts of Thailand, there is a very good reason why it is pasteurised, especially here in Thailand and can only be bought legally from the farmer.  Most countries ban its sale completely.

I used to buy Dalum unpasteurized whipping cream.. bought it several times.

But it's not always easy to consume  a litre of heavy cream and it once went "off". I could smell it was not completely fresh but tasted it to be sure. It was gritty, not smooth like normal.

I got violently sick. That was a year ago and my stomach has never been the same since..

Dalum no longer sells unpasteurized cream..now pasteurized.

• Haha 1

Think I've only bought raw milk once or twice, out of curiosity, and some time ago.  Usually sold at a premium price, so don't see the point of, since wasn't impressed with flavor.  Not concerned about if healthier or health risks if drinker.  All milk sold today sucks, flavor wise, compared to my childhood days when delivered to the house.

Usually only buy Dutch Mill, as having more flavor (full fat, what little they leave in).  Actually think UHT tastes best, but little boxes are annoying.  Keep as back up when Dutch Mill isn't available.

• 11 months later...

Minburi Market, as you enter and collect parking card about 100 metres down on the left just before a small side road where the bikes park is a bakery shop selling all manner of implements and tins, flour and yeast etc, everything for making bread and cakes.

Down the end on the left in the fridges grated cheese, and salted or unsalted Alloway butter for 250 baht/kg. 

You pass shelves with all manner of bulk cereals, herbs and spices. Bread flour is 38 baht/kg only - half Big C's price, if you buy a box of 10 bags 300 baht, 30 baht/kg

Shoppee sell it for 1010 baht per 5kg.

Also another fine shop is Chuanchom bakery in 75. 1 Thanon Rom Klao, Minburi. They sell pretty much the same lines but more utensils and machines - a bigger store. Easy parking to rear, side and front.