Tourists Decry ATK Requirement at Piers to Samet Island

snoop1130

1 hour ago, AlQaholic said:

What's an ATK? And BTW, Koh Larn outside Pattaya is way better than Koh Samet. Samet is full of Rich Bangkok Brats, expensive and always fully booked. Koh Larn is not a national park.

And with almost 70% of the Thai population fully vaccinated, what's the point?

All a matter of opinion, and personally for me, Samet is much nicer. And without the hordes of Russki's and Chinese.

48 minutes ago, jinners said:

Yep, just endured the idiocy of this last weekend. Whizzed down to a grubby little clinic where the ATK was done by someone looking like they had a cheap 7/11 mac tied on with rubber bands. All done, 5 minutes later me n the GF off to the pier (after the commission paid to the providing agent of course where car was parked). Prices varying between 250 and 300 per person what I witnessed.

So everyone is either double/triple vaccinated and tested clear via ATK yet still wandering with masks on the island. And the point is??

Made for a very pleasant quiet stay though. Won't be going again till all this stupidity is over with.

"...a cheap 7/11 mac tied on with rubber bands."

So, is this all about a new computer for Somchai? Is the same thing happening at other piers/islands around Thailand?

1 hour ago, Charlie Halliday said:

Medical tourism has all but dried up the past 2 years leaving the private hospitals in Thailand on the brink of collapse. As medical tourism is one of the Govts big money drivers in their economic plan they've had to resort to these ridiculous measures to fill up the beds. My 27 year old daughter had a false positive on the test and go and spent her first 10 days in a private hospital. I spoke to the ward nurse every day to check her results and every day she told me there was no sign of covid. 4 x rays later, a bucket load of anti viral drugs which I told her to hide in her suitcase, and 10days in a locked room she emerged looking grey and weak. They're sending perfectly healthy young people into hospital isolation and they're coming out sick! The situation is  preventing tourists from coming here and is destroying the economy. Sad and incredibly bizarre. Its also stopping us residents leaving Thailand for overseas trips for fear of not being able to get back into the country on our return. Mind-bogglingly bizzare. 

Your story sounds dubious, first of how do you know it was a false positive? Could have been asymptomatic covid.  So how did you arrive to the conclusion of a false positive ?

Then You said that on your orders she hid her medicine in her suitcase so if she was not taking medicine what was making her sick ?.

Story just has a few holes in it.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, cliveshep said:

It must be well known around the world in Tourist circles by now about the controversy surrounding the Government's purchase of ATK test kits with their 50% failure rate. Given the high risk of a false positive with concomitant risk of enforced quarantine most tourists with half a brain will simply turn around and walk away. 

The stories of enforced hospitalisation and quarantine reported in even Thai media such as Bangkok Post with families separated and holidays destroyed must be in the forefront of every tourist's mind.

I certainly would avoid any and all imposed tests if it were possible if I was a tourist who has worked hard and saved for a year for a holiday. There is no way I'd willingly let a bunch of clowns enforce tests on me if I could avoid the risk. Who hasn't seen pictures of large tents with lines and lines of cardboard box beds in them? Scary! Thanks but no thanks! Better visit another temple or go play on the beach instead.

if I were a Tourist and worked hard and saved for a Year for a Holiday, I certainly would not have chosen Thailand at  this moment in time

However, these people have, and as such must be prepared for the Thai way of greeting their Guests when they are on Holiday.

21 hours ago, kotsak said:

And all locked up if a member of the family comes up positive.. That would be a great holiday..

No, probably just can't board the boat.

They're not actually trying to protect anyone or concerned about public health - it's just a raw money grab.

...it's reported and the cops don't even shut it down.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Caldera said:

In related news from today:

“Rayong Governor declares Phrao Bay Beach on Koh Samet a disaster zone after oil spill. Says could take 15 days to clean-up.”

All that hassle and then you find that the beach is a disaster zone.

Got a link for that?

39 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Got a link for that?

I can't find that exact story in English news, but here is an article from Thaiger ... https://thethaiger.com/news/eastern-thailand/oil-spill-threatening-tourism-recovery-on-koh-samet

It's not looking good.

I booked a 4 night stay on Samed before I heard news of the testing and the oil slick. I will be watching the news and ready to cancel. Luckily my trip is not until March.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 11:13 AM, TheScience said:

Jumped the shark

Crossed the Rubicon

Thailand is done. This is insane. You can go to any national park without ATK test. In fact, it's only some boat operators that will require a vax certificate.

Total mafia

The National Parks are already getting their pound of flesh with admittance fee's and taxes! They don't want to add any more fee's,or the only visitors they get will be the Soi dogs from surrounding villages!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I can't find that exact story in English news, but here is an article from Thaiger ... https://thethaiger.com/news/eastern-thailand/oil-spill-threatening-tourism-recovery-on-koh-samet

It's not looking good.

I booked a 4 night stay on Samed before I heard news of the testing and the oil slick. I will be watching the news and ready to cancel. Luckily my trip is not until March.

Not missing anything.

One of the few islands I've never visited.

On 1/27/2022 at 2:32 PM, AlQaholic said:

No Russians nor Chinese nowadays, So I take the chance and opportunity to enjoy it while I can, before they return:) Been going there frequently for more than a year now (when it has been open), everything very cheap and very few people. Thai tourists and the occasional Farang. 

I didn't say I didn't know it or like it. Just that it's a matter of personal preference. I've been there plenty over the last 15 years.

On 1/27/2022 at 10:18 AM, kcpattaya said:

Most Thai islands are controlled by their local mafia families (Koh Tao, Samui, Koh Chang, Phuket) and they ONLY care about money.
Stay away. 

You know this, because you are

a) Bar stool expert

b) Police officer in Thailand

c) James Bond

2 hours ago, CH1961 said:

You know this, because you are

a) Bar stool expert

b) Police officer in Thailand

c) James Bond

It's a bit like saying Swiss banks are used for money laundering - everyone knows it .....????