Tourists Decry ATK Requirement at Piers to Samet Island

snoop1130

So that's 330 baht plus the 200 baht National Park fee, 530 Baht each before you even get off the ferry for a trip, got to be stupide to pay it, and even more so to ask, Amazing Thailand LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What's an ATK? And BTW, Koh Larn outside Pattaya is way better than Koh Samet. Samet is full of Rich Bangkok Brats, expensive and always fully booked. Koh Larn is not a national park.

And with almost 70% of the Thai population fully vaccinated, what's the point?

Edited by AlQaholic

Lucky them. Thai-style would be to sell everyone a ticket to the island and on disembarkation the next trick would be to force ATK - or a return ticket to the mainland. 

How often did I drive into a road which was closed further down. No indication of road work, one-way further down, closed or temporarily inaccessible. Trying to turn around the next two, three cars were behind me already ???? 

Welcome to Thailand - the country of tourism novelties 8-) 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, TheScience said:

Jumped the shark

Crossed the Rubicon

Thailand is done. This is insane. You can go to any national park without ATK test. In fact, it's only some boat operators that will require a vax certificate.

Total mafia

Don't go to National Parks as they tried to charge me ten times the Thai price to enter Khao Yai!!!!! RIP OFF!!!!!

• Like 1

What amazes me even more than the whole non-sense of this requirement, is that the authorities haven't imposed dual pricing for foreigners! Or at least that has not been reported. 330 Baht is outrageous to begin with so hardly any Thai families will pay that. I feel sorry for the island's resorts, restaurants and boat operators as it much be losing them a huge number of customers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Grusa said:

Which might be cheaper than the tests!

Not sure that will work.

My friends sailed their own boat there just before New Year, arrived after dark and SWAM to shore.  The National Park police STILL found them the next morning and made them show proof of ATK negative test!   Luckily they knew of the requirement and had official tests to show.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The operators of Kohkaew Phisadan pier and Tharuaphe pier indicated they have been greatly impacted after the provincial authority in Rayong implemented the ATK requirement on January 20

I love Samet but It has always been a pain in the a r s e getting there with no 'express' public bus service from Bangkok (excepting the Formula 1 killer minibuses) or Suvarnabhumi as there is for Hua Hin. Also have to deal with ticket touts before and when you arrive at the pier. Ive always suspected a mafia type taxi/pier/boat control so maybe it's poetic justice, or karmic irony, that the local authority are now wanting a piece of the action from the wingeing pier operators.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 1

Who's charging the 330 baht? The pier? As the tests cost 35 baht from the GPO (Bangkok), I'm expecting a cheaper option will be along soon, once they have struck a deal with the Samet Mafia operators. Prices at many of the beaches are kept at inflated levels. It has been like that since I visited there in 1995. Sea....Horses...avoid.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, rbkk said:

Who's charging the 330 baht? The pier? As the tests cost 35 baht from the GPO (Bangkok), I'm expecting a cheaper option will be along soon, once they have struck a deal with the Samet Mafia operators. Prices at many of the beaches are kept at inflated levels. It has been like that since I visited there in 1995. Sea....Horses...avoid.

That's the price to be paid at the "clinic" where the tests are done. Not at the pier.

• Thanks 1