COVID-19: Thailand reports 8,078 new coronavirus cases, 22 deaths, 6,595 recoveries

webfact

COV27.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Thursday (January 27) reported 8,078 new COVID-19 cases, 6,595 recoveries and 22 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

▶︎ Infections outside prisons: 7,853. Prisons: 225

▶︎ Recoveries: 6,595

Thursday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 2,407,022 with 22,098 deaths.

The news comes as Thai health authorities are ramping up the administering of the booster or third dose. Meanwhile, Thailand’s top virologist has indicated that cross-vaccination produces very high immunity in inoculated individuals.

Dr. Yong Poovorawan, a virology expert at Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Medicine, cited a study jointly conducted by Oxford University and agencies in Brazil, published in The Lancet medical journal. He said the study found that full inoculation of an individual with an inactivated vaccine followed by a booster dose of either a viral vector or mRNA vaccine greatly heightens the individual’s immunity against Covid. Dr. Yong added that similar results have been obtained in studies in Sweden and Indonesia.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update27JAN).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-27

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

THAI NEWS REPORTS: 8,078 confirmed new cases, 2,822 probable cases (ATK), and 22 deaths (0.92% mortality rate). 225 cases were from abroad. Out of 82,760 patients, 41,861 are in hospital .

There are 548 in a serious condition (+29) with 102 on ventilators (+5) #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1486522013732593667

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

My school is closed again and back online after being open for less than 2 wks.

Trigger happy school heads. In my daughters school there have been a few cases lately and I've actually just got an email just now that one further case has been detected in my daughters actual class, there are about 23 students in her class. 

She along with the other students are currently classed as low risk and no need to isolate although they do have to self monitor for the next 7 days and take an extra ATK test.

Students here who are found to be positive no longer need to go to a hospital either, that is no longer a requirement, they can isolate at home instead and do not need to do a PCR test.

So currently this school is handling it well and hopefully will continue this way.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Trigger happy school heads. In my daughters school there have been a few cases lately and I've actually just got an email just now that one further case has been detected in my daughters actual class, there are about 23 students in her class. 

She along with the other students are currently classed as low risk and no need to isolate although they do have to self monitor for the next 7 days and take an extra ATK test.

Students here who are found to be positive no longer need to go to a hospital either, that is no longer a requirement, they can isolate at home instead and do not need to do a PCR test.

So currently this school is handling it well and hopefully will continue this way.

Not sure if the decision to close the school is the director's or from highr up, however, cases went from 3 to 10 in a day including one teacher. My school is not a big one so I would imagine the spread would be exponetial.

• Like 1

A total of 113.62 million Covid vaccines were administered between February 28 - January 26, including 52.17 million 1st doses, 48.36 million 2nd doses and 13.09 million 3rd doses (18.8% of the population). 440,671 people were vaccinated yesterday.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1486575310984286209

• Like 1

CU medical expert warns Omicron yet to peak in Thailand

An epidemiologist and medical lecturer at Chulalongkorn University on Thursday has warned Thais to strictly protect themselves as the spread of the Omicron variant in the country has not peaked yet.

Thira said Omicron started spreading in Asia after other continents and it was on the uptrend and but yet to hit highs like in other continents.

He noted that Thailand’s decision to open the country to foreign tourists could lead to various Covid-19 strains entering the country.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40011590

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

An epidemiologist and medical lecturer at Chulalongkorn University on Thursday has warned Thais to strictly protect themselves as the spread of the Omicron variant in the country has not peaked yet.

Thira said Omicron started spreading in Asia after other continents and it was on the uptrend and but yet to hit highs like in other continents.

He noted that Thailand’s decision to open the country to foreign tourists could lead to various Covid-19 strains entering the country.

They won't know when it's peaked I think, don't test, don't know. Same as new variants entering the country, if your not looking you won't pick them up until it's too late.

Edited by Petey11

Another slight drop today from 63 cases yesterday.

Health officials on Thursday (Jan 27) reported 59 new COVID-19 cases, 31 were found in Hua Hin.

Elsewhere in the province, 5 cases were found in Pranburi, 8 cases in Sam Roi Yot, 0 case in Kuiburi,
6 cases in Thap Sakae, 5 cases in Bang Saphan, 2 cases in Bang Saphan Noi, and 1 case in Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan.

No new deaths were reported today.

https://www.huahintoday.com/local-news/jan-27-prachuap-reports-59-new-covid-19-cases-31-in-hua-hin/

7 hours ago, smedly said:

and what happens to these so called "184 from abroad" ?

There must be well over 1000 reported like this in this category in Phuket every week, are they all forced into quarantine

Its a sign of no testing among the Thai population when 332 Thais are Infected and 184 Foreigners.

There were also only around 330 Thais Infected Yesterday - strange to have 2 Days the same.

All the Foreigners are now allowed to Quarantine in their Hotel Rooms , I believe or at a " Hospitel " arranged by the Gov,t.

The Authorities are apparently rushing to quash reports about these " Hospitels " being of poor quality and with lax Covid protocols after a report in " The Times " newspaper over the weekend.

There are also other things emerging over the Web about the situation in Phuket

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For information, relative to the need for repeated boosters, I called Bumrungrad to find out whether my previously purchased doses of Moderna could be used as a second booster and when. They said that the recommendation is to wait 5 months between first and second booster dose. Further data/opinions will no doubt emerge in time, but nice to know I don't have to go thru the hassle of finding recipients for my otherwise unusable doses.

My Moderna lot has arrived but the extended family and me are otherwise boosted by now, either free or paid for elsewhere. It was nice to know that my payment is valid for vaccination until November. Tempting to say boo-hoo to the shadenfreude boys, but that would be tempting fate. Still a chance to be shown that Moderna grows you three heads ???? 

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

Its a sign of no testing among the Thai population when 332 Thais are Infected and 184 Foreigners.

There were also only around 330 Thais Infected Yesterday - strange to have 2 Days the same.

All the Foreigners are now allowed to Quarantine in their Hotel Rooms , I believe or at a " Hospitel " arranged by the Gov,t.

The Authorities are apparently rushing to quash reports about these " Hospitels " being of poor quality and with lax Covid protocols after a report in " The Times " newspaper over the weekend.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40011595

THE NATION: Phuket government officials on Wednesday pledged to make necessary improvements after a British journalist’s criticism of the province's “hospitel” facilities #Thailand |

@MillervisionTV

|

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The understatement of figures must now be huge that there is no point in even looking at the official numbers that give no clue as to what is happening.  A peak with Thailand's population should look similar to or more than the UK which was over 100k and was probably massively understated too. I know several people in the UK who caught omicron.  Since they were retired and not living with vulnerable people, they just tested at home and didn't bother to report it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

From what I read elsewhere, it is possible to quarantine in hotels only if they are equipped for telemedicine. I have no idea of what this equipment may be. Internet connection, for sure, and what else?

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The National Communicable Disease Committee approved the preparation to declare Covid-19 as an endemic disease, deputy government spokeswoman Traisuree Taisaranakul said on Thursday.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1486605227969024001

To meet the criteria, new COVID-19 infections must not exceed 10,000 a day, the mortality rate must be less than 0.1% of the infection rate, the hospitalisation must be less than 10% of the infection rate. Read more: http://thaip.bs/qopkww4

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

The understatement of figures must now be huge that there is no point in even looking at the official numbers that give no clue as to what is happening.  A peak with Thailand's population should look similar to or more than the UK which was over 100k and was probably massively understated too. I know several people in the UK who caught omicron.  Since they were retired and not living with vulnerable people, they just tested at home and didn't bother to report it. 

With all the testing done in the US, the CDC estimates only 1 in 4 infections were identified between Feb 2020 -Sept 2021. It's probably 1 in 10 or much higher with Omicron. Looking at the chart and Thailand's testing vs the UK & US, one can only imagine how many actual infections there are

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/full-list-covid-19-tests-per-day?country=USA~THA~GBR

Edited by nattaya09
  • Like 1

Thailand reports 8,450 new COVID-19 cases, 28 deaths, 7,484 recoveries

COV28.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Friday (January 28) reported 8,450 new COVID-19 cases, 7,484 recoveries and 28 additional deaths over the past 24 hours.

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1248296-thailand-reports-8450-new-covid-19-cases-28-deaths-7484-recoveries/ 

//CLOSED//

/Admin