Book Banning in the Southern USA

seedy

It's not really "book burning" - see silly meme above, nor is it "book banning". No books are being set alight, and you can still buy these books, and maybe even check them out of your local library.

It's more about local school boards (elected) wading into the details of the curriculum. Is this best left to professionals? Probably. But what can you do?

As long as they don't violate state and federal charters then I say let locals make these sorts of decisions.

Now if they start dictating science (evolution, age of earth, "God's Design") edumacation then I'll have a different, stronger opinion. And if board members are appointed, ugh, then I have more questions.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, seedy said:

Any censorship is a bad thing.

Agreed but this isn't censorship.

5 hours ago, seedy said:

Not allowing the written word to be read, discussed, argued about both for and against is wrong.

Agreed. But no one is not allowing the written word to be read, discussed argued.

Wentzville School Board member Sandy Garber told the St. Louis Post Dispatch that she voted against the book to shield her children from obscenity. "By all means, go buy the book for your child," Garber said. 

School board members can be replaced, if the voters so choose.

Heck, the books probably just moved from the school library to the public library?

Missoura's always been weird state. Not southern, not northern. Blue then purple, then pink.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Agreed but this isn't censorship.

Agreed. But no one is not allowing the written word to be read, discussed argued.

Wentzville School Board member Sandy Garber told the St. Louis Post Dispatch that she voted against the book to shield her children from obscenity. "By all means, go buy the book for your child," Garber said. 

School board members can be replaced, if the voters so choose.

Heck, the books probably just moved from the school library to the public library?

Missoura's always been weird state. Not southern, not northern. Blue then purple, then pink.

This not a matter or an individual or even individual school boards banning books.

This is a coordinated and funded attack on the literature in school libraries.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jan/24/us-conservatives-campaign-books-ban-schools

• Like 1

For years we've been hearing that white will stop being the majority at some point in the future.  I've wondered how this would be handled by those who take their whiteness too seriously.  Well, here it is.

No more "Remember the Alamo," forget the Alamo.  Coming soon: a re-imagining of the US Civil War War of Northern Aggression, it was really about Droit du seigneur for the Yankee overlords.  (Hey, in an environment where they believe in lizard people, the second coming of JFK Jr and underground concentration camps no suggestion is off limits!)

Book Banning in the Southern USA

There's more to it than that.  Texas influences most of the textbooks used in the rest of the US, a little searching of the web will give a better picture of why this is than I can spell out here.  This might be a good place to start.

• 3 months later...
On 2/3/2022 at 5:07 AM, bendejo said:

For years we've been hearing that white will stop being the majority at some point in the future.  I've wondered how this would be handled by those who take their whiteness too seriously.  Well, here it is.

Funny....."those who take their whiteness too seriously."  These aren't people looking for equality, but rather, want to cling onto that white privilege that they've enjoyed for so long.  Because for some, it's all they've got.  This book banning, hating on CRT (even though most MAGA types don't even know what it is), etc., is a part of that pattern.

I tend to believe that the current culture war--which seems to be mostly MAGA-driven--is a temporary blip in American history.  Can't really blame any one person...although it's hard to miss that the previous Prez made it ok to be outwardly racist.  That's why a number of championship sports teams refused to visit the White House when Trump was President, even though it's a tradition. 

Speaking of sports, I just read that a fan of the Green Bay Packers football team complained that none of their 2022 draft choices were white.  I mean, Lordy.  Yes may fellow Americans, racism is alive and well in 2022.

The fan’s question read in full: “Out of the 11 players drafted by the Packers in the 2022 NFL Draft none are white. I also looked at the first two rounds of 64 and found that only 11 players drafted by all the teams were white. When I Googled the question of how many white overall were drafted, Google wouldn’t answer it. I wonder why. I sure hope we aren’t going to have to hear all the whining about equity, justice and all the markings on hats and shoes and all else."

“I suggest the NFL is actually racist for always choosing and highlighting black players. I am sure that is why you chose (Jordan) Love for a QB when he never should have been chosen."

https://www.news.com.au/sport/american-sports/nfl/fan-asks-nfl-team-why-didnt-we-draft-any-white-players/news-story/976218df4433de9a93e154037b0da362

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...