how do you keep track of principal amount and PNL

akda

Hey Crypto Folks,

I use Binance and Zipmex.

But it is very hard to keep track principal investment and PNL. Especially when you are doing DCA.

I know we can check Order Summary and Wallet History.  But it is very hard to track your actual invested value and PNL.

Even the data provided in excel sheet is cluttered.

How do you keep track of it? Any suggestion?

For example am looking for something which shows invested amount and PNL like this for each coin

Coin: BTC

Invested Amount: 2000$ 

Average buying price: 28000$

Current Amount: 2200$

PNL : + 10% 

build your own Excel file, and enter each trade manually in it, quite easy, and calculate your gains or losses

there are some software for it, but they can be expensive, above all if you only do a few trades per month

make sure to adjust with deposits/withdrawal to calculate the true gains/losses

you can also the IRR method,

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, akda said:

As I do DCA, typically I use this for calculation https://percentagetools.com/dollar-cost-average-calculator/ 

But everything is manual ????

DCA, FIFO or LIFO, same process for gains/loss, it's just a tax reporting issue

you need to keep track of each trade, regardless, the final performance will be based on the average cost left from the different LIFO/FIFO/AVG actions

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Like 1

I used Cointracker to automatically track across wallets and exchanges but it had lots of bugs. Tried Koinly and it massively wrong reported from the getgo.  Also Coinstats but that also does not report things like DeFi submissions correctly but is my current fav.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Whale said:

I used Cointracker to automatically track across wallets and exchanges but it had lots of bugs. Tried Koinly and it massively wrong reported from the getgo.  Also Coinstats but that also does not report things like DeFi submissions correctly but is my current fav.

will try these, was looking for something like this.

doing manually in excel is pain in a**.

doing it manually is actually a good practice,

brokers have a history of poor reporting for P/L, too complicated for them, too many rules etc... and also at the same time, they got to "hide" the poor performance of their customers actions so they don't feel bad about it so they can keep trading silly ????

always have a detailed log of all your trades with P/L, it's just common sense and that's not even negotiable, in case taxation comes into effect

don't simply rely on third party buggy software or buggy platform like those crypto exchanges

Edited by GrandPapillon

5 hours ago, Whale said:

Thats rather trollish and juvenile. Whatever floats your boat though I suppose.

trollish for calling out lazy crypto fans? listen, if you want to play like the big boys, it comes with responsibilities and discipline, otherwise it's just playing like spoiled little brats too lazy to count their chips after a game of poker

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

trollish for calling out lazy crypto fans? listen, if you want to play like the big boys, it comes with responsibilities and discipline, otherwise it's just playing like spoiled little brats too lazy to count their chips after a game of poker

I presume you are writing this from the crack clinic in Solihull. Still got you teeth?

• Haha 1