transporting a dog in a car

I want to bring my village dog to my new home, a 4 hour drive. She does not like going in cars and getting her in might be challenging...

Any ideas? How is this done? Is there a way to tranquilize her? She is maybe 10+ years and kind of heavy... 

Edited by 1FinickyOne

Only option seems to be medication from a vet.

Medication prescribed by your veterinarian: trazodone (brand name Desyrel®), gabapentin (brand name Neurontin®), and alprazolam (brand names: Xanax® and Niravam®) are examples of medications that are sometimes used to reduce the anxiety that some dogs experience when traveling.

• Like 1

See if you can get some ACP 20mg tablets from a/your vet.  The drug is Acetylpromazine.

If the dog weighs about 25 Kg , I would give 1.5 to 2 tablets 1 hour prior to travel. In food is ok.

Vet may be reluctant to dispense (as effect is magnified if dog has pre-existing cardiac issues) - and may want to check dog out first. This is NOT a money making ploy - but standard practice (in the West).

Sedation will last about 8 hours.

Edited by G Rex
  • Like 2

At that age I don't think I would try any drugs to put her to sleep, she might not wake up.

Try giving her treats near the car and build up her confidence.

You can get her into the car and give her treats so that she thinks of it as a nice place to be.

My dog hated the car at first he was sick and pooed, but after a while he would jump into the car happily and travel many hours with us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1