Hernia operation

nikmar

Hi, I believe I need an operation for a hernia. Has anyone had surgery in Bangkok to repair a hernia? i would be grateful for any advice regarding hospital choice, also, does anyone have any idea about cost? Thank you in advance.

i had umbilical hernia done in Bangkok hospital Bangkok 2008

Private rooms doctor ok explained everything anesthetist was amazing as i was terrified of being put out i literally never saw or felt anything (when being put out i mean)

done under company UK insurance was in for 2 nights 

cost was 150k ish all in from start to finish check ups etc

Edited by poohy
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

You have not mentioned what type of hernia? For example, I had an inguinal hernia which was repaired using the laproscopic method, which has barely any scarring and quicker recovery. 

to be honest - i dont know - i have two lumps, very low down. im not sure about types of hernia. but thanks for the heads up

Any major hospital can do it.  They want you stay in the hospital here for 2 or 3 days.

It is an out patient surgery in most western countries walk out of the place after.

I guess if your insurance will cover it, up to you.  I personally would not want to spend a few days in a hospital unnecessarily.    

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like possibly an inguinal hernia but you do need to have it properly assessed to be sure.

Many, many TV members have had inguinal hernia repairs done here.

Cost depends on (1) whether open approach or laparascopic and (2) which hospital. Government hospitals are much cheaper but will have wait list especially now as a lot of elective surgeries were postponed due to COVID.

Laparoscopic approach costs more than open but recovery is faster. At a private hospital, around 150 - 200K depending on hospital. Open approach at a private hospital around 100k. These are very approximate costs. Also depends on what sort of room you choose.

For a moderately priced private hospital (non-profit) and good surgeon I recommend

Dr. Narongsak Jongsiri

at Saint Louis Hospital on Sathorn

https://saintlouis.or.th/doctor_search/result?utf8=✓&doctor_name=&doctor_depart=57eb7c570478820001000583&doctor_skill=&all=all&commit=search

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just had my inguinal hernia repaired by open surgery on Wednesday at Phyathai hospital in Sriracha.

Cost of surgery was 87600 Baht incl private room and meals ,initial consulation around 1000 Baht and Covid test and pre op check up which includes blood test, X ray and cardiology tests came to 7330 Baht.

Did some research beforehand , average cost here in Pattaya was around 150K, in Bangkok Sikarin hospital do a package for 105,000 Baht which was about the best I found out of all the hospitals I contacted there.

Used Phyathai before for a previous hernia repair back in 2014, cost back then for the surgery was around 72,000 baht.

I think there's a Phyathai hospital in Bangkok but don't know how their prices compare to the one in Sriracha.