Bangkok to equip 100 zebra crossings with traffic lights in two weeks

snoop1130

Some zebra crossings in Pattaya have lights but none of the lights are working. Try crossing at a zebra crossing in Pattaya, none of the motor vehicles stop, not even at the crossing directly in front of the beach road police station.

Zebra crossings provide a false sense of safety to pedestrian crossing.

The issue regarding traffic lights to control motorists is that pedestrians have, by now come to regard these crossings as dangerous and won't step onto them until either the traffic has stopped or there is none in sight.

Motorists on the other hand will not stop if there is no one on the crossing. Unfortunately my observation is that motorists still won't stop if there's no one on the crossing, even when there is a red light. They see no point in doing so.

I've actually watched pedestrians waiting for the traffic to stop, even though they have a green 'walk light'.

It will take a lot more than traffic lights to resolve this issue.

On 2/3/2022 at 10:05 PM, SeaMike01 said:

This is the excuse every time, isn't it. So remove all the pedestrian crossings and they'll continue having to run across the middle of the road. That sounds much safer.

Actually in my expeience cars and bikes seem to stop to let you cross when you are not on a crossing. 

19 hours ago, MJCM said:

They installed that in Pattaya on Beach Road and on 2nd Road and what happened???

No one took notice and they did NOT stop. ! (But maybe the camera's will help (eventually ????

Seriously, It's a huge problem drivers not obeying road rules in ALL SE Asian countries. Vietnam is even worse. Only way is to hit these inconsiderate drivers in the hip pocket severely OR jail time.

Maybe also equip those traffic lights with a few cops, to make sure no one runs the red light. Just a thought. I mean, I see this at every intersection in Thailand: the light turns yellow and everybody speeds up like crazy to make it, and then when the light turns red at least four or five cars still ignore that. Absolutely nuts.

• Like 1

Rapid action from the Thai Government after the unfortunate death of a woman crossing the road . 

However I do not think it will make too much difference when I see how drivers here in Thailand respect traffic lights .

Its interesting that no one is aware that Thais are taught that traffic in the left lane need not stop at red lights.  Just spend 2 minutes at an intersection and this will become obvious.  Until the government enforces any rule changes, "accidents" will continue to occur.  Meantime watch out crossing intersections especially for cars in the left hand lane.  

How about assigning 100 BIB's at these crossings.

That IMHO has a better chance of being effective, costs less, get the BIB's out of the AC offices doing what they are paid to do and scaring the <deleted> out of these crazy Thai drivers that try to run the crossings when pedestrians are on them. 

Also collecting some additional revenue from fining the morons that don't stop. 

On 2/3/2022 at 5:41 PM, MJCM said:

They installed that in Pattaya on Beach Road and on 2nd Road and what happened???

No one took notice and they did NOT stop. ! (But maybe the camera's will help (eventually ????

Exactly... just another epic fail to the list of epic fails.... the flooding control measures, the bus service, the baht bus stopping places, WIN price controls, surveillance cameras. I am not saying there have not been some successes, but pedestrian crossings is not one of them.